Are we going to be able to play all races?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
najdorf

Are we going to be able to play all races?

Post by najdorf » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:43 am

I was wondering if plans for OG are to have the player play as a rabbit only (as in lugaru) or are we going to be able to play all races.

If it's the second, I think it would be awesome to have a starcraft-like story, where players play each race in sequence, in a weaving plot that follows the story of the different races from a different perspective. Starcraft and warcraft 3 do this awesomely, also following the stories of the main characters ("heroes") as they evolve and relate to one another.

We could also have a rabbit infected with wolf blood that becomes a hybrid like Sarah Kerrigan :P

Turner the Rabid Rabbit FTW! XD

kehaar

Re: Are we going to be able to play all races?

Post by kehaar » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:44 pm

You can play Lugaru as both a rabbit and a wolf.You get the slightly different fight animations + strength and speed of the two models.

There haven't been many campaigns made with the hero as a wolf, but (shameless plug) try Ancestral Tales. You play about half as a fox. (it's a little overbuilt on the difficulty scale, I'll admit. I can't beat it on Insane, and I made the frakkin' thing. Sorry, everyone.)

I assume they'll do the same in OG, and you're right: it really will expand the kinds of stories that can be told, and if you have any plot outlines in mind, that's awesome!

check these guys' project:viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5405

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:01 pm

Being able to play all species: Hell yes!
Interwoven storyline including all species: Meh.

If you ask me, Starcraft and Warcraft demonstrate how hard it is to pull off the whole play-each-side-in-turn thing while still having a cool storyline. Blizzard managed it, but only just.
It would be better to just have rabbit-centric campaign (i.e. Turner's story), then allow the player to use of other animal types in challenge levels and such.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:44 am

This is how I've understood it from what I've heard:
You'll only be able to play as Turner in the official campaign, but all the races will be playable so if someone wants to make a custom campaign where you play as a cat that will be possible.

TimeToRule

Post by TimeToRule » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:46 am

By the way , i think that even if we play only by turner , we will still be able t0 put whatever race we want to our campaigns , becouse the most important stuff in overgrowth ( i assume ) is the custum created content.

And yeah

stinkyrat
gooddoggy
wolfieisgod
funnybunny
kittycat

Make your choice.
xD

Swordarm

Post by Swordarm » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:16 am

Silverfish wrote:This is how I've understood it from what I've heard:
You'll only be able to play as Turner in the official campaign, but all the races will be playable so if someone wants to make a custom campaign where you play as a cat that will be possible.
...or in the multiplayer. Correct, that's what's been confirmed (=planned) and that's how it should be.
CATS FOREVER!

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:52 am

Meow.