Inventory System In OG

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!

RPG style inventory or in-the-engine swapping of weps?

RPG Inventory ftw
13%
Equip Weapons like in real life!
87%

Total votes: 150

Count Roland

Re: Inventory System In OG

Post by Count Roland » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:16 am

GaGrin wrote:Given that Overgrowth is leaning away from the original Lugaru 2 "open-world/RPG" design so far as we can tell.
I don't recall the team ever claiming that it was going to be an "open-world/RPG" design... linkey?
Last edited by Count Roland on Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:29 pm

He said it was leaning away from being a Open World/RPG.

Edit: Now that I reread your post, maybe you were talking about what the original Lugaru 2 plan was. Though, honestly, it doesn't matter.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:56 pm

The 'Original Plan' for Lugartoo never changed. Just the way to achieve it and the title.

rakyth

Post by rakyth » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:46 pm

Alorwin wrote:I think.... you should be able to carry weapons on you, like in luguru... but rather than have it be limited, make each weapon/sheath a physical object that can collide with the others, and allow you to position the weapons as desired. So you can carry as many weapons as you can organize. :D That make sense?

Too much phsyics to compute quickly.

On top of that, Lugaru isn't focused on inventory.

Imagine...The Legacy of Kain..2 or whichever.

You COULD fight using your hands, but that weapon from a deceased enemy looks great. Use it for a while before it breaks. It breaks. You don't care, life goes on.

Or you could keep it for a stronger enemy for later. Life goes on. Like little presents, meant to be enjoyed and then forgotten.

At least, that's my opinion.

GaGrin

Post by GaGrin » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:03 am

Ages ago when Lugaru 2 was first being discussed (while David was doing the technology demos) there was some discussion of a more open structure to the game - with David going so far as to investigate procedural tree-making and the like.

If you search in the archives for a few years ago you'll dig up some posts. Most are irrelevant to the current design and direction, and I'm sure there is a post around with David explicitly saying that due to a lack of design for the higher-level systems and a wish to get right on and produce something worthy of sale that the team would focus on something much closer to the original game in terms of structure than David's early plans.

This thread, like a few others, is something of a relic; from a time when the design was much less clear. Much of the conversation and many of the ideas in this thread are obsolete given the changes in the interim, IMO.

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:11 pm

GaGrin wrote:This thread, like a few others, is something of a relic; from a time when the design was much less clear. Much of the conversation and many of the ideas in this thread are obsolete given the changes in the interim, IMO.
Very true.