Tackle

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Jacktheawesome

Re: Tackle

Post by Jacktheawesome » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:20 pm

TheBigCheese wrote:As for keeping it the same as Lugaru, I would argue that Overgrowth is already far different (in a good way). The Block/Dodge system of OG is already vastly more fluid and interesting than the original countering system of Lugaru.

Just because Lugaru was an amazing game doesn't mean David can't take what he learned and improve upon it.

As a general rule of game design, however, adding more actions just serves to make the game more confusing for new players. Why add more functionality when the same action can be done with the current set of moves (or very small modifications). If you look at strong Indie games, they usually have a core set of actions that the game is built around.

Braid: Move, Jump, Rewind Time, World-Specific Action
Bastion: Move, Dodge, Shoot, Special
World Of Goo: Connect, Grab, Throw

I'm not sure if you've played Bastion, but what if a "Run" key was added to allow you to move faster. Sure it would add functionality, but it wouldn't have added any depth: players would just hold the run key all the time! It would have ended up being an annoyance.

The beast run is similar. Unless it truly builds off other actions in innovative ways, what does it really add that can't be accomplished more elegantly?
I am all for simplicity, but I don't think this makes anything more complex. It's a simple action, simply done, and even though there currently is something you can do to achieve similar results, by the riskiness of it it's fairly obvious that it is not the final solution, but something we've been using as a placeholder. I think the best proof of concept is Lugaru. In Lugaru you could jump to get ahead of people, and land on them to knock them down. You could also animal run. Since it was very hard to aim with the jumping, most people just did animal run. And I never found myself animal running all the time just because it was faster. Thats because it had limitations. The only attack you could perform from the animal run, the tackle, was so easy to reverse if the enemy knew you were coming that you would only really use it for fleeing or unaware enemies, and you couldn't jump or leg cannon from it without rolling out of it first. If OG imposed the same sorts of logical limitations on it, it would work to much the same effect. All OG has done so far is improve on old features, and add new ones. If anything, they'll find a way to make the animal run better.

makatak

Post by makatak » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:17 pm

Yes, definately

spencman35

Post by spencman35 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:13 pm

I think you should be able to tackle them of cliffs and stuff

Skadoosh

Post by Skadoosh » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:01 pm

I'd prefer to see a running shoulder barge, so you could send enemies flying off of ledges.

SteelRaven7

Post by SteelRaven7 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:45 pm

Haldos

Post by Haldos » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:43 pm

Maybe I'm the only one who thinks so but I wasn't that big a fan of the tackle from Lugaru.
I see it's usefulness for taking down fleeing enemies in one hit but I'm having SO much more fun delivering a double rabbit kick down on their heads and springing off like I'm Mario on a Goomba. I really wish it could be used on unaware enemies as well (it never seems to start the animation unless the enemy is fleeing.). It reminds me of the charge kick from Lugaru.

Watch the new alpha 171 video (I'm sure you have.) it's that amazing double kick towards the end of the video that sends turner flying while the opponent is spiked into the ground. It works sideways too but only if they're trying to flee.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:47 pm

Well, the magic of Overgrowth is that you could choose which one to employ :)

Also, both attacks work on both fleeing and stationary enemies. If you're moving too fast past your enemy, however, the jump kick might not work, which is why you might be having more luck with an enemy that is running in the direction that you're flying. Less relative speed.

Redcoat

Post by Redcoat » Sun May 20, 2012 9:09 pm

I'd like it if that if someone was running away and you jumped right on them, you could hold right click, get them in a head lock and break their neck or twist their backs oddly to break their spine? Would be pretty cool, also I'd love it if you could break necks/spines when you stealth up to someone without a weapon, all you can do it choke them out.

Zelron

Post by Zelron » Mon May 21, 2012 4:39 pm

Redcoat wrote:
I would like to see some sort of pounce attack. If someone is running away from you, you can jump on top of them and just push them to the ground, triggering a ragdoll. Then you just roll out of it or something.
Besides any damage that may occur because of face scrapping, it wouldn't hurt them, just stop them. Because as of current if a target decides to flee there is not much you can do until they decide to stop because almost all charactor travel at the same speed, and even if you do catch up to them there is a breif period between initializing the attack and it connecting that forces you to stop.
However there may be some confusion in when the game thinks you want to pounce or do a "hot drop" choke (as the right click is more of the "grabby" button).

Karel

Post by Karel » Tue May 22, 2012 4:35 am

Penaloza1337 wrote:Tackle can be good, But when you miss. You go to ragdoll form. And no? Then you take them and they go in ragdoll form!

Extra : Tackle them and stab!
Simple, cool, effective and with a certain risk (making it not so OP) etc, this post haves my approval.
If tackle is integrated that's how it should be.

akazi

Post by akazi » Tue May 22, 2012 3:46 pm

Karel wrote:
Penaloza1337 wrote:Tackle can be good, But when you miss. You go to ragdoll form. And no? Then you take them and they go in ragdoll form!

Extra : Tackle them and stab!
Simple, cool, effective and with a certain risk (making it not so OP) etc, this post haves my approval.
If tackle is integrated that's how it should be.
I agree +1 :wink:

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Tue May 22, 2012 7:58 pm

akazi...you kind of win at avatars dude. :)

On topic:
In Lugaru, the pounce attack could be reversed, like any other attack. I think we would definitely see something similar in OG.

OlJimGrizzigsby

Post by OlJimGrizzigsby » Wed May 23, 2012 9:26 pm

Id like to see something along the lines of, when you jump over a hostile when he is fleeing hold rmb(or something) and Turner would reach out and grab their neck/head/fur/ears/whatever which will bring them AND yourself into a ragdoll mode. The there could be risk of your grip breaking and nearly snapping your neck, but the hostile would be immobilized for like a fraction of a sec, enabling you to get in the final move.