Alpha 1 FAQ

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Sandurz

Re: Alpha 1 FAQ

Post by Sandurz » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:44 pm

Ohh, ok. I forgot the auth. I feel like an idiot. I guess I'm a bit out of it today. Thanks Hal.

RazZziel

Post by RazZziel » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:17 pm

Madd the Sane wrote:from here:
Jeff wrote:Safari and Midori will not work, although the Cairo branch of WebKit would be a good start. The thing about Chrome is that the rendering layer is abstracted with Skia so we can render it to a texture and display it in an OpenGL scene. This is a non trivial task, but thankfully Google has done all the necessary work for us. We are going to have to wait for this core to be ported to Mac OS X and Linux.
Looks like what Qt has done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXS3xKV-UM0
The html rendering engine is KHTML, the one they based Webkit on, but I think it'll be compatible with Webkit itself soon (if it isn't yet)
Also, AFAIK Qt is already working on Windows, Mac and Linux. Looks like much more clean and portable to me.

disaldo

Post by disaldo » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:50 am

Hi

Noob question over auth code as soon as I put in the @ the screen goes blank and I cannot enter any more code. Any pointers appreciated.

Currently running windows vista 64 bit
Nvidea Gforce 8800GT

Regards

Disaldo

Hi Found the answer elsewhere.

Regards

Disaldo

swiftcoder

Post by swiftcoder » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:40 pm

RazZziel wrote:Also, AFAIK Qt is already working on Windows, Mac and Linux. Looks like much more clean and portable to me.
Eh, I expect Chrome to have QT trumped on both counts when it comes out - QT is something of an abomination as C++ libraries go (custom language extensions, custom pre-processor/compiler for the same), so it isn't hard to be cleaner ;)

RazZziel

Post by RazZziel » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:32 am

swiftcoder wrote:
RazZziel wrote:Also, AFAIK Qt is already working on Windows, Mac and Linux. Looks like much more clean and portable to me.
Eh, I expect Chrome to have QT trumped on both counts when it comes out - QT is something of an abomination as C++ libraries go (custom language extensions, custom pre-processor/compiler for the same), so it isn't hard to be cleaner ;)
I don't really have experience with Qt (only with Gtk+) but I've always read that Qt, besides the preprocesor thing, is clean and elegant, and after a quick look to the source it looks pretty nice.

Anyway, I only suggested Qt because Chrome for Linux right now is pretty much vaporware (besides Wine efforts), and Qt is already working on the three major platforms.

Also, :D

Mykei

Post by Mykei » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:18 pm

How are you meant to download the source?

RazZziel

Post by RazZziel » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:13 pm

Mykei wrote:How are you meant to download the source?
I think the snapshot link on the top will work, but if you have git you can "git clone git://labs.trolltech.com/WolfenQt". To compile it, "qmake && make".

Mykei

Post by Mykei » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:54 am

They don't make it simple do they? Or maybe I'm just an idiot.

$ qmake && make
sh.exe": qmake: command not found

I always have problems with compiling things.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:11 pm

RazZziel wrote: Anyway, I only suggested Qt because Chrome for Linux right now is pretty much vaporware (besides Wine efforts), and Qt is already working on the three major platforms.
How so?

RazZziel

Post by RazZziel » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:56 pm

Jeff wrote:
RazZziel wrote: Anyway, I only suggested Qt because Chrome for Linux right now is pretty much vaporware (besides Wine efforts), and Qt is already working on the three major platforms.
How so?
So far I've only seen Chrome/Chromium working on Linux with Wine/CrossOver, as the development of Chrome has been quite Windows-centered, but maybe I'm outdated, or the status of the Chromium module Overgrouth needs is in a healty status.

Correct me if I'm wrong :) I'm not really up-to-date with the development and multiplatform friendliness of both Qt and Chromium.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:28 pm

It's coming along quite well. :) Keep in mind that we don't need the entire Chrome application -- simply the core rendering engine. This is why it works on Mac OS X even though Chrome is "vaporware" for that platform too.

Eltro

Post by Eltro » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:48 pm

Gah! It gets to Adding Terrain to ODE world, but then dies! D:

Armageddon

Post by Armageddon » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:21 pm

Mine to. And then the terrain is invisible?

baptiste

Post by baptiste » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:47 pm

if i use crossover chromium, does overgrowth work?

Ekevoo

Post by Ekevoo » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:16 am

Ohai. I'm on Webkitten here because I clicked the FAQ button. Shouldn't we have a list of controls on the first page?