Inventory System In OG

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!

RPG style inventory or in-the-engine swapping of weps?

RPG Inventory ftw
13%
Equip Weapons like in real life!
87%

Total votes: 150

Chainsaw man

Re: Inventory System In OG

Post by Chainsaw man » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:15 am

Aparently so. I do not like Magi packs because they are silly.
Mind you, thats coming form a guy who thinks chainsaws should be implemented into every game some how.

Hal1989

Post by Hal1989 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:11 am

Jeff wrote:I'm the only one who likes the magic backpack like in MGS IV where you can equip any weapon you want at any time? :cry:
He's a magician. It's different :P

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:56 am

Don't worry, Jeff. I like them too, and I'm sure more of us would, but for Overgrowth specifically, the realistic approach seems more appropriate. :mrgreen:

..Uh, I mean Lugartoo. yeah.

Hal1989

Post by Hal1989 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:02 pm

Indeed. Tough I do like MGS inventory system X3

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:10 pm

Maybe there could be a race/cult/group of wizardly people who 'haz magicks' and DO have that inventory system you love so, Jeff! =p

Ltp0wer

Post by Ltp0wer » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:58 pm

What in the hell is up with all the horrid ideas in this thread?

RPG-like inventory is stupid for Overgrowth. We might as well add skeletons and magic spells.
Physically sticking weapons into a bag is a neat little minigame sort of deal, but is way too impractical.

The best thing would be to stick with the lugaru system and expand on it.

I am thinking, a simple slot system.

Rather than pressing E to equip a weapon from the holster spot, you can have several different holsters on the body, and have a corresponding number to equip a weapon from that holster.

Say:
Slot1 could be a holster on the leg for small knives
Slot2 could be a holster on the waist, for swords and larger knives.
Slot3 could be a holster on the back for staffs, halberds, or bigger weapons.

Then you just press 1 and it would put whatever weapon you have into it's appropriate holster, and take out a knife from the leg. Or you could press 2 and take a weapon from the waist holster.

Keeps the lugaru system people happy, but expands to make the people wanting more slots happy, all while keepin' it real (realistic) at the same time.

Chainsaw man

Post by Chainsaw man » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:36 am

well for that system to be complete you need it 1-0
So...
Ltp0wer wrote:Say:
Slot4: Shoulder mounted weapons that have a strap.
Slot5: Back pocket slot for things like the paper sword/letters/anything pappery.
Slot6: Chainsaw shoulder strap
Slot7: Another over the back slot for Pole weapons
Slot9:Another slot for small knives
Slot0(10): Another spot for swords.

that dose not help us acount for the equiption of missle weapons like the redeemer or the BFG.

We could keep some aspects of the RPG inventory like to drip and drag to equipt.
One though is pressing the Bag button. This focuses Tunner on the bags he is carrying. From this he can see a physicle representation of the items in there. The player clicks on an object to move it around in his bag, and right clicks for options. The player may drag it to something like Turners hip holster. Our hero will animate acordingly to grab the item and move it around.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:07 am

Chainsaw man wrote:BFG.
Big Friendly Giant?

Hal1989

Post by Hal1989 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:46 am

Glabbit wrote:
Chainsaw man wrote:BFG.
Big Friendly Giant?
Nah, it's Big fucking gun, or he meant using a graphic card as a weapon X3

Ltp0wer

Post by Ltp0wer » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:13 pm

Chainsaw man wrote:well for that system to be complete you need it 1-0

So...

Ltp0wer wrote:Say:
Slot4: Shoulder mounted weapons that have a strap.
Slot5: Back pocket slot for things like the paper sword/letters/anything pappery.
Slot6: Chainsaw shoulder strap
Slot7: Another over the back slot for Pole weapons
Slot9:Another slot for small knives
Slot0(10): Another spot for swords.

that dose not help us acount for the equiption of missle weapons like the redeemer or the BFG.
I hope that was a joke. Who says you have to have 1-10 to be complete? That would be too bloated and unrealistic.
Chainsaw man wrote:We could keep some aspects of the RPG inventory like to drip and drag to equipt.
One though is pressing the Bag button. This focuses Tunner on the bags he is carrying. From this he can see a physicle representation of the items in there. The player clicks on an object to move it around in his bag, and right clicks for options. The player may drag it to something like Turners hip holster. Our hero will animate acordingly to grab the item and move it around.
What? That is a horrible idea. I don't want to have to open a bag every time I want to take out a damned weapon. It would be much better if it sticks with the old Lugaru style, which is fast-paced, fun combat. It would blow having to pause the game and open up a sack. It would be extremely unrealistic having turner(or another animal) carrying around a sack that can fit knives, staves swords, and the like.

I don't understand why anyone thinks that is a good idea.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:23 pm

I think there should be some form of inventory management with things like backpacks and waist bags that could store little things like food, water, extra throwing knives, perhaps small valuables or looted items you could barter with or give to people. It could be used when equipping clothing also so if you killed someone important like a cat you could take off his belt and wear it, or remove his ring and either put it on your hand or in one of your bags or pockets. It shouldn't all be just quick slots but chainsaw's idea is kind of cool in that instead of pausing the game and going into an arbitrary inventory screen, you could still be in the game but using your mouse to control Turner where to put found items or where on the body to wear them. Like, I found a throwing knife, should I strap it on my shoulder belt, or should I put it in my bag, or if I'm still in the middle of a fight should I just hit e like in Lugaru 1 and just put it in my hand or belt for quick access. It should have Lugaru 1 style for quick grabbing and equipping but also something else for more advanced inventory and equipment management.

mryuck

Post by mryuck » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:39 pm

i like being limited to 2 of 3 weapons per fight, it makes you more creative. however, if there will continuity between levels, or if the levels get really big, it'd be nice to have a bag i could drop of somewhere and come back too.

another thing inventory related, it would be fun if you could drop your current weapon at any time. so you could, for example, be sword fighting, back-handspring away, dropping your sword at the same time, draw a knife, and throw it at the opponent, who would be completely taken by suprise. or flip over someone while dropping your staff and break their neck from behind. or drop your knife and surprise-reverse the guy who is attacking you. it would make changing your method of attack much easier and open up all kinds of possibilities. having to crouch to drop a weapon just slows you down to much in a fast paced world like lugaru has, and i assume overgrowth will have.

Hal1989

Post by Hal1989 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:01 pm

Ltp0wer wrote:I don't understand why anyone thinks that is a good idea.
Everyone here have their own opinion about how they would like to see the inventory system or whatever parts of the game. Besides, even if you "dislike" the idea, that doesn't mean it's a bad one.

Ltp0wer

Post by Ltp0wer » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:12 am

Hal1989 wrote:
Ltp0wer wrote:I don't understand why anyone thinks that is a good idea.
Everyone here have their own opinion about how they would like to see the inventory system or whatever parts of the game. Besides, even if you "dislike" the idea, that doesn't mean it's a bad one.
Yes, and I have my own opinion (obviously) on the credibility of particular ideas. I was merely expressing my thoughts on why certain ideas are not suitable for Overgrowth. I thought that was the point of this thread, to discuss ideas.

Don't make me out to be negativity-spewing troll.

Hal1989

Post by Hal1989 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:29 am

Ltp0wer wrote:Yes, and I have my own opinion (obviously) on the credibility of particular ideas. I was merely expressing my thoughts on why certain ideas are not suitable for Overgrowth. I thought that was the point of this thread, to discuss ideas.

Don't make me out to be negativity-spewing troll.
Rofl. Whatever...
Chainsaw man wrote:We could keep some aspects of the RPG inventory like to drip and drag to equipt.
I saw something similar In the latest Alone in the dark game except it was in his coat. The guy was using duck tape on his shirt and the interior of his coat as "slots" and could carry small items, but in a limited and realistic way. When it was for bigger items, he had to hold it until he drop it to take another big item. Also, I don't remember, but I think the game wasn't paused while he was checking his inventory.

I can also see the player checking his backpack in realtime (obviously when you aren't in combat ("Wait a minute! I'm checking my backpack!" "Wtf?") XD). The backpack's capacity would be very limited for small items and weapons and could have the ability to assign some of them on holsters and belt (usually items you are using often) to have a quick access of them in combat.

For bigger weapons, perhaps the ability to only carry 1-2 big weapons (depending of the type of weapon)? Eventually, the more you carry items, the more attributes like speed or dexterity will be decreased. Anyway, the player will know how to manage his equipment depending on how he will play, like a warrior wearing heavy armor and weapons or a thief/assassin having the strict minimum in equipment (it's just example of usual roleplaying characters).

So yeah I like the Idea, lol XD