Tutorial system

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:28 am

Vilebeast wrote:
Vhukoz wrote:"meaningful" and "skippable" are mutually exclusive.
What's with the defeatist attitude? Sure, the balance is hard to achieve, but it's possible: I think Starcraft did this best with their prologue tutorial...
You consider Starcraft to contain an example of a good tutorial? Well, then perhaps we do not disagree as much as I first thought. I would most certainly consider the SC tutorial to be "skippable" rather then "meaningful". It contained no story or setting information, therefore the player lost nothing of significance by skipping it. However, as you correctly point out, it was solidly grounded in the game's overall setting.

I was under the impression that by "meaningful" you meant something like "integral".
Vilebeast wrote:Lugaru's tutorial felt like a chore, don't deny it: I want to play the goddamn game, not sit through some inexplicable lecture emanating from a disembodied voice!
Ah... here is where we differ. I was not in the least bit dissatisfied with the presentation of Lugaru's tutorial. It's purpose was to instruct the player in the basic mechanics of the game. It fulfilled that purpose to a sufficient degree. Without that knowledge, "playing the goddamn game" would have been an exercise in frustration.

I am quite content to endure a few minutes of necessary tedium. If anything, it only whets my appetite for the main course.
Vilebeast wrote:The sad truth is that Digital Natives have no attention span - they want instant gratification and they're not going to bother learning how to play your game unless the very act of learning is fun in itself, right off the bat.
Yes... you're probably right. Unfortunately, watching one cater to the lowest common dominator leaves me with a certain unpleasant aftertaste.
tokage wrote:Why do I think we discussed all of this already? Oh, because we have, never mind.
Huh. That would explain the deja vu.

Incidentally, I still advocate what I said in that thread.

GaGrin

Re: Tutorial system

Post by GaGrin » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:02 am

This is an extrodinarily simple choice for me.
Separate lessons like Rainbow 6 or Lugaru are VASTLY preferable to me, because there is nothing worse IMO than having to re-do a tutorial after reinstalling or restarting a game.

Dressing up tutorials with story makes them take longer - and is contrary to the point of teaching the basic mechanics.

If you're afraid of players missing the tutorials and getting confused, put a choice like:

"You are about to start a new game for the first time, would you like to play a brief tutorial first? We highly recommend this for those not already familiar with the game."
[Yes, take me to the Tutorial/No, I can manage on my own]

I'd rather have a 5 minute, fast and dirty control demonstration than 10 or 15 minutes trying to blend story, backstory and controls together. Outside of this, the game's difficulty curve should take care of the rest.

tokage

Re:

Post by tokage » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:10 am

Zhukov wrote:
tokage wrote:Why do I think we discussed all of this already? Oh, because we have, never mind.
Huh. That would explain the deja vu.

Incidentally, I still advocate what I said in that thread.
That's why I brought it up. And don't get me wrong the discussion in there is far from over or come to any conclusions. BTW the same as for Zhukov holds for me. I don't really mind a separate tutorial and I absolutely will vote for full movement capabilities from the start opposed to getting moves unlocked slowly throughout the game(all this in regard to my post linked above, weapons are the key).
Renegade_Turner wrote:No one's going to like you if you going around doing stuff like that.
Luckily I am not dependent on being liked by people over the internet :).

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:08 am

Yeah, I also enjoy people disliking me on the internet. Everyone knows the internet isn't real.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:29 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:Yeah, I also enjoy people disliking me on the internet. Everyone knows the internet isn't real.
Virtual does not equals not real.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:33 am

Here's a gold star.

Untadaike

Post by Untadaike » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:23 pm

Well, that was entertaining.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:26 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:Here's a gold star.
*jumps with joy*
Can I get me an ice cream with this?

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:36 pm

Glabbit wrote:
Renegade_Turner wrote:Here's a gold star.
*jumps with joy*
Can I get me an ice cream with this?
Er, ice cream, yes.

Yes you can.

Another vote for a separate tutorial, Lugaru style. I haven't seen very many of the integrated ones mentioned here, but the ones I have seen feel forced, and too long for something that's telling you how to use controls.

I just showed Lugaru to someone who's played a LOT of games, and he said the tutorial was fun, and that the practice itself totally hooked him on the game. I guess this more of a thumbs up for the Lugaru fighting controls than anything, but he specifically mentioned that it was nice to fight the vapor rabbit since it wasn't a real character.

Only thing about the Lugaru method I'd change is to make the sapce itself a little more interesting.

( saying teh internetz is real is laughable. That's like saying it's us who control the cars that drive us around the city. Impossible)

Untadaike

Post by Untadaike » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:52 pm

Yeah, the tutorial's great. The first time I played, I didn't recall all the moves I learned from the tut so I went back and played it again and it wasn't a pain at all.

Wilbefast
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence

Re:

Post by Wilbefast » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:36 pm

Gotkage wrote:Why do I think we discussed all of this already?
Oh, because we have, never mind.
Oops - my bad, seems I missed that thread somehow and didn't do a search before posting. Clearly I should be taken out back and shot in the face.
Vuhkoz wrote:I would most certainly consider the SC tutorial to be "skippable" rather then "meaningful". It contained no story or setting information, therefore the player lost nothing of significance by skipping it. However, as you correctly point out, it was solidly grounded in the game's overall setting.
I was under the impression that by "meaningful" you meant something like "integral".
When I said "meaningful" I meant that it makes sense within the bounds of the game universe.
Goatcage wrote:I absolutely will vote for full movement capabilities from the start opposed to getting moves unlocked slowly throughout the game.
Agree.
Gingarr wrote:I'd rather have a 5 minute, fast and dirty control demonstration than 10 or 15 minutes trying to blend story, backstory and controls together. Outside of this, the game's difficulty curve should take care of the rest.
A most eloquently conveyed point o' aromatic pirate! I'll yield to that - guess the ideal for me would be a 7 minute tutorial that fits into the game universe somehow...
Vuhkoz wrote:Watching one cater to the lowest common dominator leaves me with a certain unpleasant aftertaste.
Many of the people I've shown Lugaru have been turned off by the tutorial: anyone who's here is here because they're super keen about this game, and probably won't need a tutorial, but the majority of the market is made up of people with attention spans so short that they get bored of things before trying them.
I maintain however that you can make something interesting and accessible without dumbing it down, something most developers seem to have forgotten. Speaking of which, I'd like to spend Chris Taylor a very personal "***k you" with regards to Supreme Commander 2.

Because in gaming the obvious solution is never the best.

Untadaike

Post by Untadaike » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:17 pm

I like how defensive and stubborn everyone is on these forums. I really do.

invertin

Post by invertin » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Oh this is nothing.

As for tutorials- How about something related to the main story, but not neccesary? E.G Playing as some random other character being attacked by badguy X or something.

I like seperated tutorials, I think they're alot simpler, but at the same time I don't like an unjustified tutorial.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:45 am

Most often I have the idea these guys don't listen to their own words anymore...

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:52 am

Wilbefast wrote:When I said "meaningful" I meant that it makes sense within the bounds of the game universe.
Image Ah, well... in that case I fully agree.
Glabbit wrote:Most often I have the idea these guys don't listen to their own words anymore...
Untadaike wrote:I like how defensive and stubborn everyone is on these forums. I really do.
What on earth are you guys on about? So far as I can tell, this has been an amicable and civilized exchange of opinions.