Multiplayer enhancement [Brainstorm]

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!

Do you like these modes?

Yes, I like these modes
58%
Yes, but not all of them
35%
No, they suck
2%
No, they need to be altered
1%
I like mine more!
4%

Total votes: 110

Freshbite

Re: Multiplayer enhancement [Brainstorm]

Post by Freshbite » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:09 pm

I would be pretty epic, though.

Slyvvr

Post by Slyvvr » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:00 am

Anyone else got an idea about a good multiplayer mode? Do you like my ideas btw? :D

brigadesoft

Post by brigadesoft » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:37 pm

If Phoenix ends up having reasonable netcode by the time they're in beta, I don't see any reason why we shouldn't have co-op. I've been playing Lugaru with a friend for years, and the best we can do is sit next to each other and swap out. My greatest dream for Overgrowth is to stand back to back with a friend and fight off enemies together, not to mention the amazing combos one could pull (leg cannon an enemy into a friend's waiting roundhouse, etc). This is a must.

As far as competitive multiplayer goes, that's up to the devs. I'm sure the design and gameplay is suited to a 4v4 slugfest with flags, or something like that. However, the difficultly of pulling it off and making it work well is on Wolfire, and I've no issues with them cutting it for release and releasing it later as an expansion (or not at all, if need be).

Slyvvr

Post by Slyvvr » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:08 am

I think more is possible too, but the physics would have to be fixed to support that.

Wirez30

Post by Wirez30 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:43 pm

The game mode is called "Classic" there's 2 teams: 1 team are the Raider Gaurds and the other team is Turner's family (From lugaru 1) you could add some new characters from overgrowth as well. If your on Turner's family side you start out as one of the family members (you are picked randomly) and each member has a different skill and they have a 3rd person view but are slightly weaker than the gaurds, there attack is slightly faster as well. However the gaurds are in first person view and have a shorter view than turners family but they all start out with weapons (again randomly selected) and they will spawn in groups and will only rarely spawn by themselves but they will always spawn inside a secured place or something like that. Anyway they way the gaurds win is if they kill all of turner's family (everyone has one life) , or if they capture all of the positions that there is on the level, or finally if the time runs out and there not all dead (by the way there is rounds and both teams switch sides after one team wins). Turners family spawn together and they can win win by capturing all positions or killing all the gaurds. That is my idea.

Alpharius

Post by Alpharius » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:15 pm

Territory Mode:
-Mode is timed
- 4 territories to capture
- Defenders are equipped with weapons
- Can be played co-operatively as attakers against AI defenders or 2 vs.4 PVP
- Once territory is captured, defenders respawn at new/deifferent territory, players must then capture new objective

I also like the Onslaught type of mode you guys have. A set number of players could hold out against waves of wolves (the number depending on difficulty set). I dont know if any of this is possible but any type of Multiplayer would be soooooo fun!

DaniVegaz

Post by DaniVegaz » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:37 am

I would loooove zombie mod...
Just think about it? Zombie rabbits! and Wolves and so on!
Or maybe this could be a Halloween thingy?

And on Xmas you can make a mod called "The revenge of the raindeer!
Where you are Rudolph, and it's you'r mission to lead you'r kind to victory!

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:10 am

I made a zombie level for lugaru once, don't think I ever released it, though it was part of a whole pack of random levels, that one gave me the most trouble.

Hegelian Hermit

Post by Hegelian Hermit » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:24 am

Sneaking in pvp would cause all kinds of trouble, seeing how no one would stand still enough to allow the slow approach necessary for stealth in this game. I like the idea of a deathmatch mode, pick a race, 8 player free for all, five-ten lives each, last man standing wins (this would get really interesting in larger fortress or city like maps). Capture the flag would also be interesting, but if all players run at the same speed w/ no ranged weapons it would get complicated and frustrating.

A great game mode would be king of the hill, all players start at the bottom of an obstacle course and have to fight their way up, when only one player is at the top, a score timer goes off and he has to fight off the other players as they come.

Either way, any game mode that would be developed would certainly find very interesting maps being made for it, I'm looking forward to it.

Kompatriot

Post by Kompatriot » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:40 pm

Team Fortress: Ninja Rabbit Mode

Antipaladin

Post by Antipaladin » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:50 pm

I would like to see a co-op mode where different races use unique abilities to traverse dungeons. Some areas could only be reached by specific characters working together and would reward players with money or equipment or some other goodie. I would like to see a goat character with a ramming head butt ability.

TonyTheSlayer

Post by TonyTheSlayer » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:38 pm

I think a lot of this is going a bit too complex. It seems like creativity has taken over, but that's not a problem at all! The more the merrier? Try not to forget about the basic idea of teams/no teamed brawl. Deathmatches basically. Weapons scattered around the map and players start anywhere. Team or player with most kills wins.

But now, creativity is taking over me.

Name: Trials
Max Players: 8
Teams: None
Description: Players start at a "starting line." When the game starts, the players must navigate through numerous and challenging obstacles and reach the end of the map, or the "finish line." Once a player reaches the end, they restart and set a time to get there. The object of the game is to get the fastest time.

Name: Jailbreak
Max Players: 16
Teams: Two
Description: Both teams start at opposite sides of the map containing bases for that team. When a player is killed, they are sent to the other team's "jail". Near the jail for both sides is a "jail lock" that when touched by a player from the opposite team, the jail opens, releasing all the players inside. The object of the game is to "lock up" all the players on the opposite team.

Name: Survival
Teams: One
Description: Players start out in a flat surfaced area surrounded by other map features (mountains, trees, rocks, etc.). When the game starts, a timer is set and the players must explore the surrounding area for supplies such as weapons, health items, etc. and retrieve them. When the timer hits zero, waves of enemy wolves, rabbits, etc. attack from the surrounding areas of the map, and another timer starts. When that timer hits zero, the waves halt, and the players must gather additional supplies. The object of the game is to survive all waves.

Name: Scavengers
Teams: Two
Description: Two teams start out at opposite sides of the map. Throughout the map are 5 "gems" that must be retrieved and brought to a base. When the game starts, a timer is set and when the timer hits zero, the team with the most "gems" retrieved wins. If both teams have the same number of gems, then either a tie is declared or the next team to have the most gems wins. Players must explore the map and find and retrieve the gems. There are 2 additional gems in the map that are "false" gems. A false gem is gathered and brought to the enemy base instead, and may be placed there in their gem retrieval area. Players may invade the enemy base to steal gems like Capture The Flag. When a false gem is brought to the enemy base, it may be swapped with an existing gem if there is one. When a gem is brought to a base with a false gem, the false gem explodes, destroying one of their real gems.

Name: Wolf Hunt
Description: Players start anywhere in a map with weapons scattered about. In a random location of the map is a set of wolf claws, that when picked up by a player, turns them into a wolf. Players resume kills as normal like a deathmatch style of play. However, the player who retrieves the wolf claws will be granted additional speed, damage, and agility, as like any other wolf. When the wolf is killed, the player respawns as a rabbit and the wolf claws reappear in another random location. The object of the game is to get the most kills.

Name: Beast Master
Description: Players start anywhere in a map with no weapons. About the map are NPC's patrolling anywhere, but will not attack until you attack them. When the game starts, players cannot kill other players and a timer is set. When the timer hits zero, all still patrolling NPC's are killed and players can now attack each other. When a player kills an NPC, they are resurrected and brought to the player's side, following them around. After the timer hits zero, the NPC's the players have conquered will now be able to attack the other players. A player may only have a max of 5 NPC's at a time and may sacrifice them for another at any time during the period at which NPC's are still patrolling, but the new one must be killed. At the period at which players can attack others, the NPC's they conquered will assist them in attacking other players, however they can still be killed. The object of the game is to be the last player alive.

Just some ideas. Brainstorming FTW.

Vibhor

Post by Vibhor » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:35 pm

Base Attack
Team:16(4 players will control different species)
Sort of turn based resource management.During a set time limit(3 minutes maybe) player decides in what will he spend his income.More income can be gotten by capturing more bases.Income will be given on the starting of every turn.Income can be used to buy more AI soldiers,more weapons and the rate of respawn for weapons.Bases cannot be upgraded except of the main base which would be the base of operation.When enemy attacks other player's base,enemy would have two choices which would be either stealth attack or battle.In stealth attack the other team's base would be protected with predefined no. of (BOT)soldiers which cannot be decreased or increased and the player(the other 12 players that is who would be divided equally among the 4 species) would infiltrate the base.Each player could also bring 2 extra mercs for the mission(explained later) and 2 weapons(big and small) for the mission.If a player dies in a turn he would be dead for the rest of the turn and will be automatically revived in the next turn for no cost(In there own base).The battle mode will be a simple battle field in which you use the soldiers you bought in your turn.There would be 6 types of units,Ranged,Mounted,Melee,Unarmed,Flying and the Player.

Ranged will obviously be equipped with ranged weapons which are bows for rabbits,rats and dogs but slings for wolfs.The bows and slings can easily kill unarmored and flying while taking time to kill the wood armored and would never be able to kill an armored without a faceshot(can only be achieved by player)

Mounted will don the wood armor and will be equipped with lance thus effectively making them knights of the game.What they would mount is what I haven't thought of.

Melee will be your basic soldier equipped with all sorts of melee weapons* and also metal armor if upgraded(making archers useless)
*Wolfs will use claws instead of weapons

Unarmed* basically monks.They would counter,disarm,dodge and do everything that could easily kill your melee guys.Oh yeah and they are unarmored which means one hit kill by arrows
*These type of wolfs would just be quicker than usual but not have any claws

Flying this would be a temporary effect.Like rats will glide by a piece of cloth ninja style.Tear the cloth with arrows for 1 hit kill.These enemies could fire three shots of some paralyzing material.A bane for everyone.Oh and if you jump on their top you could control them.Awesome thing for an archer.

Player These would be the bad dream for all bots.You control yourself and go into the battlefield.Kill masses and still be alive and the best part? Killing enemies heals wounds(knife cuts,sword slash etc)but only in the battlefield.

Q. But what would player do between the turn times?
Well,anything.Player is free to do anything.Even not following orders.
The leader only has the ability to make markers for players to follow.
It is the players choice to follow the marker or just play around.You could earn money,hire mercs,buy weapons for yourself,kill people,attack kingdoms,attack your own king.Attacking your own king would make you a renegade which has alot of disadvantages and no advantage whatsoever.(haven't thought the disadvantages)

Well now comes the merc part.
It is no big deal really.Mercs are basically player's personal army.You can hire any amount of merc you like but can only use 2 of them while on a mission.Mercs are your only source of protection when gone renegade so yeah they are a bit important.

Advantages of Species.
Now this Part is important as the whole balance depends on it.
Rabbits Rabbits are your awesome guys.They are fast,stealthy,skilled and whatnot.They are the most balanced of all.
Dogs They are skilled in all sorts of weapons and have good amount of health.That is all.
Cats Prices are low and income is more.Richest of all but sucks at everything else.They are your quantity over quality people.
Wolves These guys...are just badass.The players get access to the radar when playing as them which shows all enemies.They are so badass that they are more resistant to wounds and don't even require weapons because of their huge ass claws.The bad points are players do not get any type of freedom(orders issued by leader and are automatically carried out when issued.)
The form of currency is meat which can only be earned by killing people by the players or soldiers.

And BTW when a stealth mission is going there is no time limit but all turns of your leader are skipped when you are in one.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:39 am

Name: Problems
Players: 2
Teams: 2
Online, single player or split screen.
This gametype is divided into a set of "problems" that grow in difficulty as you go on. Basically, there is a string of floating crete blocks high above the ground. Each "problem" is a gap or string of gaps that will take some sort of parkour move or combo to traverse. Before and after each problem is a flat wide block that acts as a checkpoint. If a player falls off the structure, he is automatically respawned at his last checkpoint. The first player to reach the last checkpoint wins. Combat is toggleable. :wink:

TonyTheSlayer

Post by TonyTheSlayer » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:07 am

Jacktheawesome wrote:Combat is toggleable. :wink:
That's evil LOL. :lol: