Project Showoff

Black_Stormy

Re: Project Showoff

Post by Black_Stormy » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:53 am

Ozaffer wrote:Well it's not quite what I was looking for but at least he's in the game now.. (scale issue was a quick fix, now for alpha, and animations)
[.Tga was the only texture format that wouldn't give me an error btw.]

Behaves like an object rather than a character. Does anyone know how to designate an object as a character?
Have you rigged him? If you want to replace the turner model with yours you'll probably have to rig it to the turner rig in the blend files in the data folder of your OG directory. And it's a pretty damn intense rig, so quite frankly I think you'll be better off rigging and animating it yourself. It's quite an undertaking to put your own character into the game, and there's no guarantee that any update won't ruin it for you, it's still an alpha after all.

For the time being you're probably better off getting it all rigged, animated and ready to import into the engine when the updates are stable enough to not wreck it. That or modify the turner mesh - being careful to not move around or create too many verts - and rename your new model as the turner model.

It looks like you need a bit more practice making models before you tackle something as complex as a character though, no offense. What program are you using? Organic models are particularly tricky to make, you should look at some theory for poles and loops. Here's a great thread for that. But you also might want to model more props in the mean time to get more used to your software, and the engine. I envy your tenacity at getting that character in engine though, I always give up halfway through :|

EDIT: While I'm here and on the subject, here's one of those such models that I gave up on. Well, I didn't give up on it entirely, but this is version a0.1, and isn't going to be worked on further since I learned so much making it I pretty much have to start again.

It's the first time I had a proper punt at a full character model, and I used that poles and loops thread as a direct reference as I was making it. I stole Aubreys hands and traced his feet though... I'm not sure I'll be making a character for the game just yet, I need to do some serious study first, but maybe one day.

Ozaffer

Post by Ozaffer » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:54 am

Endoperez wrote:Look at the existing characters. At least they need to use a different shader, since animations are calculated in a shader.
Thats a good place to start I'll look into the overgrowth character files thank you.

Edit: So I tried looking at the original overgrowth files for some guidance but I ran into a problem pretty quickly, when trying to load the rabbit guard, the wolf , or any of the other models I got an error [ Aborting load: generic type not recognized ]

I get this error when plugging my character file into the code as well.

Black_Stormy wrote:
Have you rigged him? If you want to replace the turner model with yours you'll probably have to rig it to the turner rig in the blend files in the data folder of your OG directory. And it's a pretty damn intense rig, so quite frankly I think you'll be better off rigging and animating it yourself. It's quite an undertaking to put your own character into the game, and there's no guarantee that any update won't ruin it for you, it's still an alpha after all.

For the time being you're probably better off getting it all rigged, animated and ready to import into the engine when the updates are stable enough to not wreck it. That or modify the turner mesh - being careful to not move around or create too many verts - and rename your new model as the turner model.

It looks like you need a bit more practice making models before you tackle something as complex as a character though, no offense. What program are you using? Organic models are particularly tricky to make, you should look at some theory for poles and loops. Here's a great thread for that. But you also might want to model more props in the mean time to get more used to your software, and the engine. I envy your tenacity at getting that character in engine though, I always give up halfway through :|

EDIT: While I'm here and on the subject, here's one of those such models that I gave up on. Well, I didn't give up on it entirely, but this is version a0.1, and isn't going to be worked on further since I learned so much making it I pretty much have to start again.

It's the first time I had a proper punt at a full character model, and I used that poles and loops thread as a direct reference as I was making it. I stole Aubreys hands and traced his feet though... I'm not sure I'll be making a character for the game just yet, I need to do some serious study first, but maybe one day.
I have rigged him (skinning needs some adjustments) but I haven't animated him yet and I haven't looked into the alpha's animation yet either. After I play around with him a bit more and get a better looking model in game I'll look into animation more, I was hoping I could throw the Turner rig onto my model for a quick ingame test. But I did plan on making a bunch of my own animations anyhow so if it's a hassle I'll do it that way.

As for my modeling, I work with 3d Studio max and I have been working with this program for about 4-5 years now so I know the program pretty well. This is only my second human like character though and they are pretty tough, and my edge loops could probably use some improvement i'll check out that tut thanks.

Nice job on your first character model btw, I'll attach some of my model img so you can get a better look at this guy.
Wireframe.jpg
Attachments
UVW4.jpg
Posed2.jpg
Posed2.jpg (40.38 KiB) Viewed 3011 times
Posed007.jpg
Last edited by Ozaffer on Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SunBird

Post by SunBird » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:31 pm

Been making this: (It looks kinda out of place but I don't know how to change colors of objects so...)

It's supposed to look a bit abandoned, thus the dangling wooden planks at some places.

Black_Stormy

Post by Black_Stormy » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:29 am

Ozaffer wrote: I have rigged him (skinning needs some adjustments) but I haven't animated him yet and I haven't looked into the alpha's animation yet either. After I play around with him a bit more and get a better looking model in game I'll look into animation more, I was hoping I could throw the Turner rig onto my model for a quick ingame test. But I did plan on making a bunch of my own animations anyhow so if it's a hassle I'll do it that way.

As for my modeling, I work with 3d Studio max and I have been working with this program for about 4-5 years now so I know the program pretty well. This is only my second human like character though and they are pretty tough, and my edge loops could probably use some improvement i'll check out that tut thanks.
Well that wireframe shows a lot more than the engine shot, it looks pretty good. The shoulders might need some more attention, there's a few loops there that define muscles and help to make the mesh deform properly in animation. But it depends on what you want to do with it. Since you're using max I don't know how reliable the rigs from the blend files will be for you after export and such, since they are really complex and have a pretty sophisticated IK setup. You're definitely better off rigging and animating it in max, although I don't know that the team has .anm export scripts for max?

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:36 am

Black_Stormy wrote:Well that wireframe shows a lot more than the engine shot, it looks pretty good. The shoulders might need some more attention, there's a few loops there that define muscles and help to make the mesh deform properly in animation. But it depends on what you want to do with it. Since you're using max I don't know how reliable the rigs from the blend files will be for you after export and such, since they are really complex and have a pretty sophisticated IK setup. You're definitely better off rigging and animating it in max, although I don't know that the team has .anm export scripts for max?
I don't think there are Overgrowth import or export scripts for 3D applications besides Blender. Most objects use OBJ files, and they use Blender for animation. They seem to be only working in things they need themselves, so I doubt we'll see other scripts until they either need to animate something in Max, or have enough time to work on features that aren't directly related to gameplay.

kevlarorc

Post by kevlarorc » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:37 am

Endoperez wrote: Overgrowth's default object shader uses the diffuse map's alpha channel as specularity value.

Nice gazebo. Have you drawn before you started modeling? It has taken me several years of modeling before I felt like I had ideas I wanted to model, and I still feel like I'd have more ideas if I was a better drawer. :lol:
Aha, Looks like I'll finally have to learn photoshop or something, hehe.
I didn't draw that out before I modeled it, just went at it. I'm a terrible drawer and nothing that I can imagine will come out on paper the way I see it in my head. I'm actually taking an illustration class as part of my degree which has helped to an extent but..well.. I made the nude model look like an obese alien...
I'll try to leave the major drawing to the concept artists if I ever get in to the industry.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:12 am

kevlarorc wrote:Aha, Looks like I'll finally have to learn photoshop or something, hehe.
I didn't draw that out before I modeled it, just went at it. I'm a terrible drawer and nothing that I can imagine will come out on paper the way I see it in my head. I'm actually taking an illustration class as part of my degree which has helped to an extent but..well.. I made the nude model look like an obese alien...
I'll try to leave the major drawing to the concept artists if I ever get in to the industry.
You should get AS MUCH benefit from that class as possible. Your ninja model's anatomy isn't very good, and personally, I believe it's easier to learn anatomy by drawing than by modeling. Not that I know much about anatomy, myself. :(

You should definitely learn to use Photoshop or something, because it's required for texturing, and texturing is very, very important. I'm studying 3D graphics for games ATM, and last autumn I interned at a small company. They would have preferred someone who can create models, including concept work and texturing and all that. I had to learn to write simple shaders so that I could make glass domes and objects. It is different in bigger projects, of course, but small mobile and internet games are very common these days, and it might be easier to get to work on one of those, rather than on a big game company.

I don't know how things for in other 3D fields, like marketing and archviz.

kevlarorc

Post by kevlarorc » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:12 pm

Endoperez wrote: Your ninja model's anatomy isn't very good, and personally, I believe it's easier to learn anatomy by drawing than by modeling.
I've yet to make a ninja lol. I believe you're looking for Ozaffer.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:08 pm

kevlarorc wrote:I've yet to make a ninja lol. I believe you're looking for Ozaffer.
Doh! :oops:

You're perfectly right. I'll just, er, go to that corner over there and try to learn to read people's names before replying to their posts. :?

broham

Post by broham » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:41 pm

Made a platforming tower with a few enemies yesterday when I was bored, figured I'd might as well post it here. I assume putting it in Overgrowth/Data/Levels/Project60 is what you'd have to do but I'm not entirely sure.

edit: Found the right file, or at least I'm pretty sure I did, you tell me.
Attachments
16_red_desert.xml
(207.96 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
took this screen when I was about half done
took this screen when I was about half done
Last edited by broham on Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:32 pm

Are you sure you uploaded the right map? I downloaded it, but it seems to be the default 16_red_desert.xml for me.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:23 pm

Samusaaron3 wrote:Are you sure you uploaded the right map? I downloaded it, but it seems to be the default 16_red_desert.xml for me.
Make sure to replace your original red desert file with this in the Project 60 folder, and then get rid of the red desert .nav file in the Levels folder. Worked fine for me.

Awesome map btw :D

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:25 pm

Jacktheawesome wrote:
Samusaaron3 wrote:Are you sure you uploaded the right map? I downloaded it, but it seems to be the default 16_red_desert.xml for me.
Make sure to replace your original red desert file with this in the Project 60 folder, and then get rid of the red desert .nav file in the Levels folder. Worked fine for me.

Renaming your custom maps is so much cooler than replacing the existing files...

Alpharius

Post by Alpharius » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:27 pm

Just some shots of the map I'm working on. Its called Emerald Treetops. I'll post a video at the halfway mark, and of course i'll post level for download when complete.
Attachments
Overgrowth 2011-04-16 21-38-55-63.jpg
Overgrowth 2011-04-16 20-18-30-71.jpg
Overgrowth 2011-04-16 20-19-47-64.jpg

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:05 am

ariehl wrote:
Jacktheawesome wrote:

Renaming your custom maps is so much cooler than replacing the existing files...
I think you're just mad I got to the custom map installation advice first :P