What mod would you make?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Ayjona

Re: What mod would you make?

Post by Ayjona » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:02 pm

Well, with the, modestly put, anthropomorphic influenses on Overgrowth, I am very tempted to suggest a mod featuring a kind of rather obscure cartoon nudity art style, but I'm going to rein in my tongue on this one :wink:

Other than suggestions of the more furry-sensual kind, I'd would love to create a mod based on White Wolf's Exalted RPG. Lots of potential for high-end, chinaetic action in that setting.

Pirates. Swashbuckling-fu. Add mechanisms for swinging from stuff, sliding down sails, and balancing precariously on ledges and beams.

And, Tom vs. Jerry, bloodier than ever. Scrap copyright issues.

mphasis

Rpg elements + Javascript = possible!

Post by mphasis » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:13 pm

Depending on how javascript is implemented I would say that it would be very easy to make an rpg using javascript windows that trigger in game commands.
You could have an inventory and slots, and when you move things on to your rabbit they get equipped and when you move them back into your pack they disappear.

I personally want David and the team to FOCUS on making GREAT TOOLS so that the community can push fantastic content out.This is because whilst they are all very talented, they have limited time and manpower when compared to a community of at least 20 people who I would say are serious about content creation.
This topic is for both coming up with great ideas that get everyone excited to work on content, and to give Wolfire a vague idea of what we want out of the tools for this game because the real fans are in this forum.

Keep the great ideas coming, and I look forward to working with some of you to make the content that helps make this game!

Kalexon
Kalexon

Post by Kalexon » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:42 pm

Dude, my mod is two words long: The Ring

It's a remake of The Ring except instead of dying in seven days, you punch the creepy girl in the face.

mphasis

What can I say?

Post by mphasis » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:11 pm

but LOL!

Vetrox

Post by Vetrox » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:46 pm

I don't know about a mod yet, really, but I'd probably make a climbing campaign, inspired by hl1 climbing levels and Mario Galaxy's awesome design. This presuming the AI isn't quite as suicidal when situated on platforms. Maybe I'd create some cool booby traps or even high-tech laser traps to go with it.
If the Wolfire team doesn't implement it I'd try to make a timer which uploads your time to a high score list, maybe hosted on my server. I don't know how open they are to letting the game communicate with outside sites though.

Inthrall

Post by Inthrall » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:07 pm

Kalexon wrote:Dude, my mod is two words long: The Ring

It's a remake of The Ring except instead of dying in seven days, you punch the creepy girl in the face.
I would play that for a long, long time...

mphasis

Post by mphasis » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:58 pm

Keep it in your pants Inthrall.
Climbing on the other hand sounds like great fun.
I especially like the idea of boobytraps.
And Wolfire has to make the game really accessible via javascript!!!(So online highschores should be simple:))

zamzx zik

Post by zamzx zik » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:24 pm

I think there would have to be some kind of limit on outgoing/ingoing connections via Javascript. (this is coming from a person who knows a lot about programming, but can't actually program anything himself)

The potential for abusive/intrusive would be pretty high when you're dealing with code that can bridge your game files and the internet.

Just in case you haven't thought of that angle, Jeff.

mphasis

Security

Post by mphasis » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:12 am

I had a massive rant about scripting, security and the in-game mod browser, but deleted it in favour of the last line:

What it all comes down to is that I trust Wolfire to give us the ability to create amazing content whilst maintaining a secure and fun gaming environment.

@zamzx zik: Good point though:)

Mango

Post by Mango » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:36 am

I'm just wondering whether Overgrowth will be able to support open world environments with seamless loading between areas. If it can, I reckon there will be a much larger range of mods to be made.

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:41 am

Mango wrote:I'm just wondering whether Overgrowth will be able to support open world environments with seamless loading between areas. If it can, I reckon there will be a much larger range of mods to be made.
Or just huge levels.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:41 am

Or have the multiplayer be a total catastrophe: an entirely filled detailed real-world map in which you can actually jump around the whole of the earth...

That would be the most epic project to ever fail at completion.

Of course, if it WOULD ever be completed, Overgrowth'd end in the book of world records!
Or better yet: Overgrowth wouldn't end at all!

[beep: 600th post]

Aleol

Post by Aleol » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:01 am

I don't really know... Maybe something based on medieval europe (the weapons and armor of course)

Maybe some chain and plate armor, broadswords, zweihanders (not the ridiculous [but still awesome] Anime/FF styled ones; The actual Greatswords), Rapiers, Heater shields, kite shields, bucklers... other stuff.

I hope, that the Devs include at least one of these....

BTW, If anyone wants to argue about the practicality of plate armor or broadswords, or even the ability of knights, I'd be happy to oblige.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:55 am

Aleol wrote:shields,
Oh, hey, there's a good point

Mango

Post by Mango » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:56 am

I really like it when you get in an epic sword fight in Lugaru as you frantically click the attack button whilst the opponent does the same, ending up with the sword flying out of one of your hands. In short, I want to see more weapon-to-weapon combat.