Water In Lugaru 2

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!

Should Lugaru 2 have large bodies of water/water dynamics

Yes
84%
No
6%
Dont care
10%

Total votes: 615

Jeff
Evil Twin

Re: Water In Lugaru 2

Post by Jeff » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:12 pm

Alright, I talked with David during breakfast today about water in Overgrowth, and here is what we decided.

There are three levels of water support we would like to target.

Level 1: Pseudo interactive water. Some levels on the edges of the island of Lugaru will have water like 100 feet below cliff faces. If you fall into it, it is far enough away so that you get knocked unconscious and just float around in it with our bad ass physics engine.

Level 2: Shallow water and puddles that you can actually interact with and walk in. These don't really affect the gameplay, but we will have cool shaders for wet fur and have footprints and stuff for eye candy.

Level 3: Full fledged water support. This includes large pools of water and beaches where you can actually swim around in, the AI reacts intelligently to it, and it is possible to fight in the water.

Each one is much, much harder than the one before it, so we will try to implement them in that order and see how far we get.

marmorek

Post by marmorek » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:43 pm

I'm sure whatever you end up doing will look amazing.

(but I'm still hoping for level 3! :) )

Mike_Cuzins
Twitch

Post by Mike_Cuzins » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:59 pm

Jeff wrote:Alright, I talked with David during breakfast today about water in Overgrowth, and here is what we decided.

There are three levels of water support we would like to target.

Level 1: Pseudo interactive water. Some levels on the edges of the island of Lugaru will have water like 100 feet below cliff faces. If you fall into it, it is far enough away so that you get knocked unconscious and just float around in it with our bad ass physics engine.

Level 2: Shallow water and puddles that you can actually interact with and walk in. These don't really affect the gameplay, but we will have cool shaders for wet fur and have footprints and stuff for eye candy.

Level 3: Full fledged water support. This includes large pools of water and beaches where you can actually swim around in, the AI reacts intelligently to it, and it is possible to fight in the water.

Each one is much, much harder than the one before it, so we will try to implement them in that order and see how far we get.
This has made my day.
I think that level 3 is not necessary, but level 2 is just ideal.
this is a great way to attack the problem, and I hope it works out for you.
thank you jeff
thank you wolfire.

zamzx zik

Post by zamzx zik » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:13 pm

Level 4

Milkular/Oranganic liquid dynamics. Useful for simulating over-breakfast revelations. We'd have to make a cow and a tree from scratch, but then we could have milk mustaches and the A.I would never know!

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:15 pm

Swimming is cool, but I understand that it's very time consuming to make. GTA 4 has swimming and fluid dynamics but really it wasn't that cool, the only thing it helped for the game was that you didn't die when you touched it, so I probably spent like a total of 30 seconds in the water because one time I had to swim to a boat. Really not that big of deal if large bodies of water are not in Lugaru 2. Shallow water would be cool though.

Jendraz

Post by Jendraz » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:34 am

Great news Jeff! Even being near the shore would be cool.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:37 am

awesome I suppose, but my question is, is for the wet fur effects, are you just going to have shaders, or will the fur like clump together and stuff? ,,,,,,,,, (just, wanted, a, few, more, commas,)

Mike_Cuzins
Twitch

Post by Mike_Cuzins » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:29 am

Count Roland wrote:awesome I suppose, but my question is, is for the wet fur effects, are you just going to have shaders, or will the fur like clump together and stuff? ,,,,,,,,, (just, wanted, a, few, more, commas,)
isn't the fur going to be managed by a shader?
i dunno...

mphasis

Post by mphasis » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:02 am

Count Roland wrote:awesome I suppose, but my question is, is for the wet fur effects, are you just going to have shaders, or will the fur like clump together and stuff? ,,,,,,,,, (just, wanted, a, few, more, commas,)
How would you do this without shaders?
I s'pose you could do it with textured polygons.
But still.
Mike_Cuzins wrote:
isn't the fur going to be managed by a shader?
i dunno...
The fur is not a small business and will not be managed by anyone. :p
The fur does seem to be rendered with a shader.

David can make the fur look wet, he is the one who has studied Computer Graphics, and we'll see it if and when it gets done.

I like the idea of level 2, as I think it is the most graphics and gameplay gain for the least work, but as always encourage you to work on what you think is most important.

I think we all have our answer and we can close this topic now, plus, as an added bonus, anyone who posts after me proclaims themselves "Gayer than the day is long" and will use that phrase as their signature from now on.

Inthrall

Post by Inthrall » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:19 am

mphasis wrote:...anyone who posts after me proclaims themselves "Gayer than the day is long" and will use that phrase as their signature from now on...
I like water

Harmen

Post by Harmen » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:34 am

I guess the massive amounts of pretty blood all over the place will be a rather good substitute for little pools of water anyway ;)

(Ow, my vote: KISS, go for shore water only and add more complex waterstuffs in v2.1)

GaGrin

Post by GaGrin » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:04 am

As far as fighting/moving in shallow water goes (upto about knee height) it would probably be enough just to slow leg movement down and have creatures that fall drown if their heads stay submerged.

I'll still only miss interaction with water if its there to interact with and I can't.

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:17 am

Nice solution. Good luck with it, guys. :D

Level one and two would be neat. I have no idea, though, what level 3 would do to the gameplay. So, yeah. :D

Derakon

Post by Derakon » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:16 pm

Oh, dear -- I just thought of something. What happens if you mix blood and water?

Viking Zippy
Wooter

Post by Viking Zippy » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:51 pm

I was wondering about that as well ... I'm guessing they'll definitely implement some amazing water + blood effects 8)

But yeah, good plan of action on water, it'd be so great if it could be in Overgrowth, but it shouldn't be at the top of the priority list; as I said in the Multiplayer thread, awesome as water could be, it won't give the game replay value the way multiplayer would ... but, as I also said in that thread, I think the Wolfire team already knows that :D