Overgrowth Downloader (Version 0.1)

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
matto1990

Re: Overgrowth Downloader (Version 0.1)

Post by matto1990 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:48 am

The main reason is that the engine changes on a daily basis, so it would be tough building something usable on it untill it become more stable.

Another reason is there is no way in the engine to write files to the hard drive (and not likely to be due to security im guessing), which is why I'm not sure it will ever get made into an OG mod.

I used Adobe AIR instead because it uses the same technologies as the engine but it has some additional layers which allow writing to the hard drive and reading raw byte data from a remote address (useful for downloading mod files).

It might become possible to do this in the engine, in which case it shoud be very easy to port it over, however at the minute it will be better to use something external untill the dev team work the engine out a bit.

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:18 pm

K.

Do you have to put in my email if I'd like to join, or is there some kind of apply button somewhere?

If you need my email: [email protected]

matto1990

Post by matto1990 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:31 am

You dont need to be added to the project to look at the code and change bits. At the minute if you do a read only checkout of the SVN and then submit any patches to me via email I'll add them into the trunk. Untill I get everything running I want to keep the dev team to just me really. That way I can change the code structure all I want without ruining it for everyoneone else.

I'll give you a PM when I've got it in some sort of order and I'll add you to the project. Like I said though, you dont need to be a member to take a look at, and edit, the code.

matto1990

Post by matto1990 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:52 pm

Just a quick note that I've recorded a new video for you. It details some of the features I've been working on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oPU7_4spyc

matto1990

Post by matto1990 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:12 pm

If your copy of the downloader starts going funny in the next hour while you try and download anything that's because I deleted all the mods from my server. They're on the way back up now. Sorry if this causes any problems for you.

Azminday

Post by Azminday » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:02 am

Nothing ever works for me... :(