Alpha 10 Links

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Skofo

Re: Alpha 10 Links

Post by Skofo » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:04 am

Hahah, oh wow, I was just about to post the exact same pic.

Also, what's grab button?

Groveller

Post by Groveller » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:29 am

He's been plummeting for quite a while now, and the sun is jumping about all over the place, and the screen flashes black. It looks like he might be falling through the bottom of the world and back in at the top. Several times a second.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:17 am

Right click = grab, although I am not sure if it still works in this build.

Alorwin

Post by Alorwin » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:54 am

Grab works. :D

Skofo

Post by Skofo » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:51 pm

Jeff wrote:Right click = grab, although I am not sure if it still works in this build.
Hm, I thought that was it. Doesn't help with climbing up hills at all, though.

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:47 pm

It's possible to grab buildings and float around the outer edges of them.

Kaabeus

Post by Kaabeus » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:05 pm

Mine has a bunch of black textures.
Last edited by Kaabeus on Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:21 am

Delete your shadow caches to avoid that.

CrazyWolfie

Post by CrazyWolfie » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:20 pm

Weekly rant time again.

Seriously, I don't know much about programming, but is internet really a problem? Are you waiting for chrome to become mac compatible? Just use firefox or something, because I'm getting pissed. (Or, is chrome a program?) Because, chrome probably won't be out for mac for a awhile, so much of a while, that pre ordering OG was going to be useless as I couldn't even experience it firsthand!

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:36 pm

Hey CrazyWolfie, I don't really have time to explain everything, but you are clearly pissed and I would like to offer you a refund. Please hit me up on AIM or MSN and we can process the transaction. Sorry to let you down.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:42 pm

CrazyWolfie,

If I have understood this correctly they use Chrome for the user interface (just any browser wouldn't work), but you'll get to play it so don't worry.

CrazyWolfie

Post by CrazyWolfie » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:54 pm

Jeff wrote:Hey CrazyWolfie, I don't really have time to explain everything, but you are clearly pissed and I would like to offer you a refund. Please hit me up on AIM or MSN and we can process the transaction. Sorry to let you down.
Never! I'm pissed yes, and I know you don't have time to explain everything, and it I am probably mis understanding something, but I don't want a refund! OG is worth (or going to be worth) every cent!

Skofo

Post by Skofo » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:58 pm

CrazyWolfie wrote:Weekly rant time again.

Seriously, I don't know much about programming, but is internet really a problem? Are you waiting for chrome to become mac compatible? Just use firefox or something, because I'm getting pissed. (Or, is chrome a program?) Because, chrome probably won't be out for mac for a awhile, so much of a while, that pre ordering OG was going to be useless as I couldn't even experience it firsthand!
I may be very wrong here, but I shall explain the situation as I understand it.

Wolfire is using Google Chrome for its WebKit, which is an application framework geared towards building network applications. So not only are they using it for the general user interface, they're also able to easily integrate networked features like downloading and playing mods from the internet directly from inside the game.

Again, this is all speculation; I may be horribly wrong. I can't think of answer to why Wolfire needs Google Chrome and can't just use WebKit itself, or why they aren't using Firefox with its Gecko framework since Firefox already is completely cross-compatible, but they probably know what they're doing. Is it just because Apple/Google uses it? :wink:

Also, I don't completely understand the issue here. I thought that Overgrowth's Mac build already had Google Chrome implemented? And even if it isn't, I don't think it's worth starting a rant about right now. Alpha builds aren't even close to being the finished product which you paid for, so you probably shouldn't expect everything to work straight away. And I think it's pretty neat that we get to see the progress of the development for ourselves every week. :mrgreen:

CrazyWolfie

Post by CrazyWolfie » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:24 pm

Yeah, that's another part I dun wanna cancel my pre order. And, since I'm also a new member, I don't think my rants are too carefully considered. AND, it's weekly, making it lose it's importance more.

End result= writhing pile of slop used for relief purposes only! =D

P.S. at the im new, people dont care, I kind of mean that they are insignificant and carelessly thought out rants.

Also, thanks a bunch you two for clearing that stuff up!

ajs

Post by ajs » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:30 am

Skofo wrote:
CrazyWolfie wrote:Weekly rant time again.

I may be very wrong here, but I shall explain the situation as I understand it.

Wolfire is using Google Chrome for its WebKit, which is an application framework geared towards building network applications. So not only are they using it for the general user interface, they're also able to easily integrate networked features like downloading and playing mods from the internet directly from inside the game.

Again, this is all speculation; I may be horribly wrong. I can't think of answer to why Wolfire needs Google Chrome and can't just use WebKit itself, or why they aren't using Firefox with its Gecko framework since Firefox already is completely cross-compatible, but they probably know what they're doing. Is it just because Apple/Google uses it? :wink:

Also, I don't completely understand the issue here. I thought that Overgrowth's Mac build already had Google Chrome implemented? And even if it isn't, I don't think it's worth starting a rant about right now. Alpha builds aren't even close to being the finished product which you paid for, so you probably shouldn't expect everything to work straight away. And I think it's pretty neat that we get to see the progress of the development for ourselves every week. :mrgreen:
Using pure WebKit is not exactly an option for Windows or Linux due to the proprietary dependencies-- CFNetwork, Quartz, etc. are non-redistributable outside of Mac or Safari. Besides Google Chrome's port of WebKit, there are several other ports (Cairo-Windows, GTK, Qt) however they each respectively have their own issues and don't provide the level of integration that our context requires.

I have indeed used Mozilla Gecko before to do something similar however it doesn't match the rendering performance or feature-support (such as all the WebKit CSS extensions that Jeff likes to use) of Chrome/WebKit.

@ CrazyWolfie: We already have a build of Chromium (the development codename for Chrome) working on Mac OSX 10.5 Intel platforms. The reason we don't need to "wait for Chrome to be released for Mac" is because we only depend upon the core rendering features of Chromium (which are mostly complete for the Mac platform). If your issue is 10.4 or PPC support, Google Chrome's V8 Javascript engine will not support PPC for the foreseeable future (and, afaik, neither will WebKit's SquirrelFishExtreme). Also Chrome currently doesn't build on OSX 10.4 yet however I believe it may eventually (it's just not a high priority right now compared to getting 10.5 stable).

@ everyone: I hope I'm not overstepping my bounds here, but personally, I must remind everyone that this project (Overgrowth) is still under heavy alpha-stage development and so it's really not quite fair to make any judgments as to its quality, compatibility, or feature-set (especially when most of these alphas aren't even officially endorsed by me or the other dudes). I apologize if you're having issues running these "leaked" alphas but I hope you'll understand that our main job right now is not to produce stable alphas but to instead focus on the final goal: building a kick-ass game.