[Auto Updater] SUMLauncher - 3.0.8

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
elZorro

Re: SUM Overgrowth Utilities

Post by elZorro » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:46 pm

I'm assuming the .zip file is meant to uncompress to a .jar? This is likely a Mac OSX issue (I'm running 10.6.8), but when I unzip the file it appears to be a normal folder instead of an executable. Simply adding the .jar extension doesn't fix the problem.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:54 pm

elZorro wrote:I'm assuming the .zip file is meant to uncompress to a .jar? This is likely a Mac OSX issue (I'm running 10.6.8), but when I unzip the file it appears to be a normal folder instead of an executable. Simply adding the .jar extension doesn't fix the problem.
That's an issue the unzipping tool that's the default in OSX... if you have Stuffit, that would unzip it, without also opening the jar file. (There are some other tools that would do it as well, but I forgot what they are...) Eventually I think we'll have the correct wrapper where it will look more like an application, so this won't happen forever.

Let us know if that fixes the issue.

EdT

Post by EdT » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:58 pm

I had to use a program called BetterZip, to extract the .jar file. Otherwise, I had the same issue on OS X 10.6.8

wolfbrother9393

Post by wolfbrother9393 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:45 pm

Fantastic work everyone! I hope they begin bundling this in the forums with the alphas so that everyone can easily find it. This is a MUST HAVE for the Overgrowth community. You should be proud.

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:52 pm

EdT wrote:I had to use a program called BetterZip, to extract the .jar file. Otherwise, I had the same issue on OS X 10.6.8
For anyone else that has this problem with jars, please install The Unarchiver. It doesn't have this issue, it's free, and seamlessly replaces the system's unarchiver and has support for more formats, such as 7zip.

As a side note, we're working on a cool solution that should fix this permanently for everyone, including some of the jar problems windows users have been having ;) stay tuned for 1.2 (which should be out either tonight or tomorrow)

alividlife

Post by alividlife » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:13 am

It sounds to me like your config file has some sort of improper formatting - I would suggest deleting your config.txt file (in your My Documents/Wolfire/Overgrowth/Data/ folder), starting Overgrowth up once (to recreate the config file), then try it again.
@Aaron, Yup, that was it, I actually tried opening the config file and it mentioned something about it being corrupt?! (very weird).. I deleted it, launched SUM and all was well! :D
(I also did some utility management with my drives and all went well with CheckDisk and whatnot... very strange)
I love it, this is the perfect application for launching Overgrowth. I hope to see this grow into something amazing.

There was an update to the menu file that my mod uses, but I have already fixed that menu, so simply running the installer/updater for my mod will fix that for you.
@Anton, yup, thank you!.. I just had to run the mod menu launcher once again, and it seems to be all fixed, and now I have another hair pulling level from HoppzBrkly and Hirridius...
Damn you all and your beautiful creations! :lol:

Thanks again guys! This is great!

One last thought, although I am sure it's on Wolfire to integrate (and I know they will) but most obvious resolutions for gaming as an option in the config would be nice (with option for customization.)
ie:
1024 width x 768 height
1920 width x 1080 height
800 width x 600 height
Or whatever you know?.. Obvious resolutions with fullscreen :)

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:00 am

alividlife wrote:...

One last thought, although I am sure it's on Wolfire to integrate (and I know they will) but most obvious resolutions for gaming as an option in the config would be nice (with option for customization.)
ie:
1024 width x 768 height
1920 width x 1080 height
800 width x 600 height
That's actually a pretty neat idea. We'll need to see if we can get your screen's default resolutions though.

We have been discussing some possible future additions for the config menu, like a more intuitive way to configure controllers for example. We probably won't get to that for a bit though.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:14 am

SUMLauncher Alpha 1.2 is now available:

Code: Select all

• Added 'Delete Local Files' option to the File menu.
• Code cleanup, additional error handling.
• Added 'Links' menu.
• Added Windows 'wrapper' (exe file).
• Added Mac 'wrapper' (app file).
If you are a Windows user who has been unable to run the SUMLauncher, we have built an exe wrapper that should fix your problem! This is a required download for all Windows users. Simply download/extract the exe file, and place it in your Overgrowth installation directory along with the SUMLauncher.jar file.
Download Windows Wrapper

We have also created a (currently) optional wrapper for Mac users as well. This application is standalone (you do NOT need to download the SUMLauncher.jar file!). Simply download/extract the app file into the same directory as your Overgrowth executable, and run it.
Download Mac Wrapper

Please see the Download and Installation section of the Main Post for more details.
Last edited by Aaron on Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:20 am, edited 4 times in total.

sirwillis

Post by sirwillis » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:24 am

Yay no more "cannot find jar" error! Thanks :D

DomiStyle

Post by DomiStyle » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:08 pm

Johannes wrote:
alividlife wrote:...

ie:
1024 width x 768 height
1920 width x 1080 height
800 width x 600 height
That's actually a pretty neat idea. We'll need to see if we can get your screen's default resolutions though.

We have been discussing some possible future additions for the config menu, like a more intuitive way to configure controllers for example. We probably won't get to that for a bit though.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Try

GraphicsDevice device = GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment().getDefaultScreenDevice();
DisplayMode[] modes = device.getDisplayModes();
It gets all supported resolutions for the default monitor and saves them into an Array. ;)

Nice work with the launcher by the way.

ZramuliZ

Post by ZramuliZ » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:09 pm

I'm getting this error when I try to edit the config from SUMLauncher:

Also, getting the user's screen size is quite simple in Java:

import java.awt.Toolkit;
import java.awt.Dimension;

Toolkit t = Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit();
Dimension d = t.getScreenSize();
EDIT: A minute late :D Well anyway I think DomiStyle's solution is more elegant.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:06 pm

ZramuliZ wrote:I'm getting this error when I try to edit the config from SUMLauncher:

It sounds like your config file is improperly formatted - the easiest way to fix it is to run the SUMLauncher, open the "File" menu and select "Delete Local Files...", then check "Overgrowth Config File" (and nothing else!) and select delete. Launch Overgrowth once so that it regenerates the config file, then exit and reopen the SUMLauncher.
DomiStyle wrote:Try

GraphicsDevice device = GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment().getDefaultScreenDevice();
It gets all supported resolutions for the default monitor and saves them into an Array. ;)
Thanks for the advice! I'll implement something with this in the next build :)

DomiStyle

Post by DomiStyle » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:26 pm

Samusaaron3 wrote:
ZramuliZ wrote:I'm getting this error when I try to edit the config from SUMLauncher:

It sounds like your config file is improperly formatted - the easiest way to fix it is to run the SUMLauncher, open the "File" menu and select "Delete Local Files...", then check "Overgrowth Config File" (and nothing else!) and select delete. Launch Overgrowth once so that it regenerates the config file, then exit and reopen the SUMLauncher.
How do you read the config file by the way?
It seems like alot of people have problems with it. :/
Samusaaron3 wrote:
DomiStyle wrote:Try

Thanks for the advice! I'll implement something with this in the next build :)
You are welcome.

ZramuliZ

Post by ZramuliZ » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:36 pm

Samusaaron3 wrote:It sounds like your config file is improperly formatted - the easiest way to fix it is to run the SUMLauncher, open the "File" menu and select "Delete Local Files...", then check "Overgrowth Config File" (and nothing else!) and select delete. Launch Overgrowth once so that it regenerates the config file, then exit and reopen the SUMLauncher.
This worked. Thanks!

EDIT: The Anisotropic Filtering should go up to 16x

EDIT2:
A weird problem:
I saved over the Red Desert level. When I use SUMLauncher, it loads the original Red Desert. When I open Overgrowth normally, it opens the new level I'm working on.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:57 pm

DomiStyle wrote: How do you read the config file by the way?
It seems like alot of people have problems with it. :/
At the moment I'm doing simple string parsing, though certain values are not valid for the JComponents I'm using (such as the JComboBox). The people who are having issues most likely made modifications to their config file in such a way that invalid values are read.

I'm working on having better error handling for it, things should be cleaner by the next release.