Multiplayer enhancement [Brainstorm]

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!

Do you like these modes?

Yes, I like these modes
58%
Yes, but not all of them
35%
No, they suck
2%
No, they need to be altered
1%
I like mine more!
4%

Total votes: 110

Shadowfury333

Re: Multiplayer enhancement [Brainstorm]

Post by Shadowfury333 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:59 pm

Why do all of the ideas exist only as Last Man Standing games? Is there even a point to having respawning as an option you listed? I can see why respawn would be an option, but forcing it to off seems a little odd.

[insertusernamehere]

Post by [insertusernamehere] » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:23 pm

Ehhhhhhhh...

Sorry, I got pretty carried away there. I agree, most of those are either uninspired or just kind of lame. :oops:

I thought of a new-ish one though, where there's a werewolf, but no one knows who he is. There's a really fast day-night timer and at night, the werewolf transforms into a wolf. (Everyone else is a rabbit, by the way.) The wolf can then go around killing people until sunrise, when he re-transforms and should probably hide when this happens. The rabbits have to find out who is the werewolf and preferably kill him by day, when he is a rabbit and therefore relatively weak.

AAorris

Post by AAorris » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:49 pm

I've been interested in the killing alternatives concepts, and so if I were to think of any game types, they would be incorporated!

For example, say you had a defense game: human+human vs waves of cpus, that would progress around uncommitted rats, offended dogs, and hungry wolves. Waves would approach under various circumstances, and with a certain amount of initial fear and progression of it as friends fall, until the enemies are all killed or run away.

Or, if multiplayer started coming together really smooth, you could have a team, save-the-king game where players would have groups, defending a leader, or having a certain value for each player, that is compared to another team's value to create surrender if one side is too powerful, or the leaders that hold the team together are slain.

The most worrying thing for me though, is how will such a modifiable game work in multiplayer? You would have to somehow ensure that everyone is playing on compatible versions with at least reasonably virgin code. You would also have to think about combat events, such as the slow motion when you block, which would not be fun in a high-player match, but would also be important for fight pacing. If I were the og dev team, I would have bad dreams about the enormous task multiplayer is going to be. ;- ;

Sumguy720

Post by Sumguy720 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:04 pm

How about this!

There is a Town full of NPCs and a handfull of them are players with random models/skins that let them blend in with the civilians. This team needs to do something like kill a special NPC in a castle or steal a special sword and escape with it to an outpost. All the other players (who are modeled as guards with armor and whatnot) must protect the objective.

The infiltrators have the element of surprise and maybe small arms like walking sticks whereas the guardsmen have armor and bladed weapons.