Water In Lugaru 2

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!

Should Lugaru 2 have large bodies of water/water dynamics

Yes
84%
No
6%
Dont care
10%

Total votes: 615

Ozymandias

Re: Water In Lugaru 2

Post by Ozymandias » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:08 pm

Right, I guess I was just too lazy to read over the topic then =p

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:34 pm

This is a common trait in the average regular forum-goer. Nothing to be ashamed of. =p

Sumguy720

Post by Sumguy720 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:39 pm

Personally, I don't want the team to get distracted over beautiful fluid dynamics when by doing so an excellent combat engine could be compromised. What made Lugaru 1 fun was the fighting, not the environment. Anything taking away from this core gameplay element, making it complex beyond the capacity of independent developers, or shifting the focus of the engine, should be left out until what was good in Lugaru is reimplemented into Ovg.
If the team felt up to it (and from the few posts I've read this does not seem to be the case), it would be kick ass to have realistic water effects.
On a compromising note, however, shallow water does seem to have a high enough attractiveness-to-work ratio to make it worth while, so I'd like to see that along with some other simpler effects implemented. Another thing to consider would be large bodies of frozen water-- no swimming, fighting is not changed significantly, but it adds another level of beauty and realism to the game.

Edit: The post below makes me feel silly.
I <b>AM</b> the average forum poster.
consider it a summation of what's been talked about?
Last edited by Sumguy720 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:16 pm

Very well spoken, I couldn't agree more, but, well, yet again:...
Glabbit wrote:Yes... er...
We've had that discussion xD
Ozymandias wrote:Right, I guess I was just too lazy to read over the topic then =p
Glabbit wrote:This is a common trait in the average regular forum-goer. Nothing to be ashamed of. =p

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:19 am

Definite vote for water from me. Your points about the difficulty of water in gameplay are very much valid. if you were to invest the time in swim/underwater fighting animations you should impliment this in the gameplay (ie. special underwater levels/caves /etc.).
At the very least you absolutely must have very nice looking water, both in puddle, pond, river and ocean sizes., You can still have the character just sink to the bottom /drown eventually, but water can add sooo much beauty to a scene when done right.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:52 am

This point is very valid. But how much does it add to re-play value? Multiplayer has proven itself to be far more for that respect.

Also, to the crew, if there is any chance you can implement both, take it! You have my full support, no matter how long you might have to postpone Lugartoo's release!

...I draw the line at 2010, though... xP

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:46 pm

Glabbit wrote:This point is very valid. But how much does it add to re-play value? Multiplayer has proven itself to be far more for that respect.

Also, to the crew, if there is any chance you can implement both, take it! You have my full support, no matter how long you might have to postpone Lugartoo's release!

...I draw the line at 2010, though... xP
Since we are getting weekly builds I wouldn't mind it taking even longer. the game has only been -really- actively in the works for about half a year as far as I've seen, and your deadline would be in 1-2 years. for an indie game of this scope i'd say that's a realistic deadline.

marmorek

Post by marmorek » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:54 pm

From the latest blog post:
For the desert landscape in the pictures above, ridges really dominate, but for other landscapes (such as those with creeks, gorges, and chasms) creases will also be very important.
:D

VengenceMkII

Post by VengenceMkII » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:33 pm

For all you know it is a REALLY small creek with a log over it.

Mike_Cuzins
Twitch

Post by Mike_Cuzins » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:22 pm

marmorek wrote:From the latest blog post:
For the desert landscape in the pictures above, ridges really dominate, but for other landscapes (such as those with creeks, gorges, and chasms) creases will also be very important.
:D

gotta love using phillips qoutes against him.
in the end the team will be like we thought it was best not to include water in our game...

you say:
"but, but, but you said CREEK in the blog!!!!!???"

its kinda the same as those very inital screenshots of the lake when lugaru was first concept.
lol

here's an idea:

you create another animation, 'wading' and this animation would make turner look like he is struggling through like chest height water; and then, you could blend between normal run animations and the wading animation dependng on how deep the water is.

so if its shin deep water, he could still have a fair bit of normal run animation, but he is still blended with a wading animation a tin bit. the deeper the water, the more the wade?

or something like that...

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:55 am

A creek... if they did have a creek it would probably be very shallow and just add an animating texture of some sort over it that makes a few sprites splash up when you run on it... Either that or it'll be a dried-up creek...

Chainsaw man

Post by Chainsaw man » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:50 pm

Oh come on... Water guys! water is a vital element to a world. Floating rag dolls and the such?
Water is important! Rivers, Creeks, moats, riveens and the such. Water can be implemented. Even if it costs us another year I say go with water!

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:17 pm

I say go multiplayer.

VengenceMkII

Post by VengenceMkII » Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:51 pm

I say that at the least incorporate uninteractive water. Like say a level is on a port town or landscape where the land borders endless ocean and the water would be off limits of sorts. But if things really do go far... perhaps some level of water such as extremely shallow water where swimming can't happen.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:10 am

Indeed!
...how many times have we been over this already, actually?

In any case, I won't really think Lugartoo would be any less amazing with or without water.
I think it's already been established that there will be no way there's not going to be multiplayer in Lugartoo.
It leaves it all up to the team.
Their choice, not ours, is: Would we delay OG even more just to implement water to a certain extent, should we leave it to be a simple gag (as VengeanceMKII just said), or stick to the release as much as possible and leave water to the minimum?

I think plenty of us are rooting for the first choice.