Character movement issues

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Sumguy720

Character movement issues

Post by Sumguy720 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:16 am

Hello, I want to talk to you people about the movement in overgrowth. I've been having some issues lately navigating in small areas and/or on slopes, here's why:

If you stand on a staircase, or a ramp, and it is past a certain slope, the character runs down it unless you are holding a directional key. It would be nice if the character actively tried to stay where I put him, or had some kind of resistance to just running down slopes without my input.

When I bump into objects, the character bounces off. This makes navigating through small areas or obstructed areas very difficult. Even narrow alleys result in some sporadic movement. Especially when you face to a wall and press forward, he spazes.

The character runs too fast-- this is fine I guess for testing alphas and stuff, but my goodness these rabbits get up to like 30 miles per hour! You would think they were hedgehogs!

So is the movement engine done right now? If it is these issues will greatly effect the levels that are made later in development. Right now maps like the old china thing and the cat base thing are really small in relation to the scale of the character's movement speeds/jump heights.

Starkiller2000

Re: Character movement issues

Post by Starkiller2000 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:41 pm

You must keep in mind that the game is in alpha and the current movement stuff is just kinda of a placeholder for the real thing, also i do agree with the really fast movement going down a slope as problem though it would make sense for a animal style run as rabbits are one of the fastest land mammals, except for maybe cheetahs and some other really fast animals

zalo

Post by zalo » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:01 pm

The movement engine is more focused toward parkouring smoothly right now.

Maybe later, they will have an option in the model or something that will switch
to a more precise, less parkoury algorithm.

Also, this is slow for a rabbit this size:
http://www.ehow.com/about_4605256_how-f ... t-run.html

A human-sized rabbit belongs on the freeway.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:17 pm

People have already modded in the ability to walk instead of run (although the constant updates will always break these kinds of mods, so don't install it now) so I'm sure it will be an easy fix in the future. As for walking down slopes/stairs, that is the inverse kinematics doing that, and will probably also be addressed when they start finalizing the settings. Right now the goal is to get all of the features into the game, and then start flushing them out and tweaking them.