Unique ablilities:

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
SilentSouth

Unique ablilities:

Post by SilentSouth » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:21 am

This is probably already going to happen but i think that each character class (rabbit, wolf, dog, rat, cat and WHALE MAN) should all have thier own style of moves and combat.

I was playing the wolf and i realised that in combat a wolf would not judo throw an opponent, rather pick them up above his head and throw them directly forward at say a hard surface like a rock.

This is basically a thread where people can suggest unique moves for each playable character, try and stay on topic please guys.

My point - change the wolf's throwing move to something more aggresive and wreckless.

Philipmejdal

Re: Unique ablilities:

Post by Philipmejdal » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:40 am

I think the rat could have something more stealthy or something, like only when it sneaks up on people from behind... I think it should be able to break the neck or something..

If a Panther or Tiger will be made, i would suggest some kind of leap jump thing, where it goes to animal run and jumps into the stomach or chest of the enemy sending themselves and the enemy a few meters in the direction you were aiming.
- The enemy might be staying on the ground for some time trying to get up. "Hes out of breath"

I agree that the wolf should have something aggresive like picking the opponent up, but it should not be Panthers or Tigers as they are heavy compared to rabbits and rats.. I only think they should be able to do this on rabbits and rats...

If a fox is going to made as it have been suggested i would think of some rather clever move. Like the knee at 0:25 or the kick at 0:41

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSMjAZvUGFM

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:46 am

There was a thread a bit like this recently:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11602

There's also the thread I started a while ago which has tons of martial arts videos, for animation reference.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4435

However, I like your thread because it gives a whole new angle to the discussion.

For rabbits, all kinds of flashy kicks would be nice. I'm thinking of something like taekkyun - jump kicks, high kicks, low kicks, roundhouses, all that stuff. Specifically, I'd like to see jump kicks/wall kicks than are only performed immediately after another jump kick connected, and only if there's a second target nearby.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_kDJ2DbxQk#t=1m17s

Philipmejdal:
Tigers, panthers and foxes will not be made as official races. I think that's specifically mentioned in the blog post in which that old piece of concept art was posted.

SilentSouth

Post by SilentSouth » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:32 am

I agree, i saw the thread with the video refferences, i basically came up with the idea of this thread to incorparate those ideas to the different playable characters depending on thier fighting styles and personalities.

Here is an example of what fighting styles i think would suit the different races:

Rabbits:
Style (Leg dominating)

Unique ability (Scissor kick - can hit two enemies at once)

Wolves:
Style (Top heavy, brawler)

Unique ability (Overhead throw)
As explained in my first post.

Cats:
Style (Praying Mantis)

Unique ability (Less falling damage)

Dogs:
Style (Mui tai)

Unique ability (Bite?)
I mean you know with this new gore n'all :)

Rats:
Style (Kung fu snake)

Unique ability (stealth moves)
I'll let your imagination work here.

This is just a basic idea to get people thinking and coming up with thier own ideas, obviously there can be more then just one of each.
Last edited by SilentSouth on Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

( Tchey )

Post by ( Tchey ) » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:51 am

Rabbit : something with his legs and jump. Maybe the actual jump kick (with the two feet, when you jump close to the head of your enemy) can be the rabbit special move.

Wolf : heavy of the team, so somethng heavy. I like the idea of throwing the enemy to a wall or something.

Cat : something like frenesy, where the two hands hit the enemy several times. I don't like the idea of less damage when falling, i prefer something active.

Dog : looks like to be the second heavy of the team. A bite is quite cool and accurate. Maybe the dog can bite and tear the enemy, like the real ones can do with our old shoes...

Rat : something like Goblins in Blood Bool : when the enemy is laying on the floor, the rat jumps on him and bites or use claws several times. The sneaky idea above may be cool to, i prefer having something "like the others but different".

LugaruFan

Post by LugaruFan » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:13 am

( Tchey ) wrote: Dog : looks like to be the second heavy of the team. A bite is quite cool and accurate. Maybe the dog can bite and tear the enemy, like the real ones can do with our old shoes...".
In the Dismemberment thread I said the Wolf could bite you know because Wolves are big meat eaters.

Ylvali

Post by Ylvali » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:20 am

Dogs:
I think they should fight european style with the weapons, and something with military traditions for unarmed. Like Krav Maga(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhKjpdWyYMc) or Systema. They should have some unique ways of cooperating in formations and using advanced tactics. Doesn't get scared but may do strategic retreats.

Cats:
Samurai style swordplay and acrobatics. Claws dealing bleeding wounds and incredibly fast and agile. To represent the cat behaviour to play with their pray they could have techniques to injure body parts and rendering the enemy more and more defenceless instead of killing them. Fights to the death.

Rats:
I see them as pranksters and rouges. They should have hidden weapons, throwing knives, smoke bombs, traps, darts, nets, bolas and foot angles. I picture them jumping around, with small jumps and leaps, and dance fighting. Fast paced Capoeira could work. Runs away when injured.

Wolves:
I'm dubius about them. Everyone seems to picture them as savage brutes or something. We have wolves here in my country and they are nothing of the sort. If the inspiration should come from the real animal rather that werewolf myths then wolves should be vicious pack oriented hunters that uses pretty advanced tactics, but not berserks or the like. No weapons, bites and claws. Very fast on short distances, but may be tired out by rabbits if you run for a long time. Never loses the track once they found it. Fighting style? Dunno, straight forward and optimized for fast killing blows I suppose. Bites the neck and won't let go until prey is dead. Runs away when severely wounded.

Rabbits:
Kicks and jumps. Runs away from stronger foes, but fights to the death IF wounded.

( Tchey )

Post by ( Tchey ) » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:57 am

I guess wolves are seen berserker because they are said to be the heaviest playable character. Maybe everything we've said for the wolf can be set into a bear ?

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:39 pm

SilentSouth wrote:I agree, i saw the thread with the video refferences, i basically came up with the idea of this thread to incorparate those ideas to the different playable characters depending on thier fighting styles and personalities.
Wow, very nice!

Could you post these to the video reference thread?

Also, if you want to embed the videos like they are in that thread, add [ youtube] tags around the video link. You can do this by pressing the Youtube button between the subject line and text field, obviously only visible when you're writing a post. It doesn't work if there's extra stuff at the end of the url, like &feature=related , but otherwise it's pretty simple.

SilentSouth

Post by SilentSouth » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:42 pm

Wow, very nice!

Could you post these to the video reference thread?

Also, if you want to embed the videos like they are in that thread, add [ youtube] tags around the video link. You can do this by pressing the Youtube button between the subject line and text field, obviously only visible when you're writing a post. It doesn't work if there's extra stuff at the end of the url, like &feature=related , but otherwise it's pretty simple.
Yeah i will when i get the time.

And thanks for that, i updated my post just now embedding the videos.

In response to other posts, and as someone said, the wolf in this game is the 'heavy hitter' which compensates for not using any weapons, if wolves where fighting in packs in this game it would be way over powered, you would know this already if you had played as, or fought the wolves in the alpha (Usually one hit can KO a rabbit).

As for dogs, these would be the second most powerfull build, in my eyes the dogs would be the most tactical with a defensive combat style, somewhat like merceneries.

The point mentioned about Rats AI was good, 'fleeing when injured'.

Good stuff so far guys, keep it coming.

Philipmejdal

Post by Philipmejdal » Sun May 01, 2011 4:46 am

I would love to know what the developers think of all of our suggestions.

I would love to hear their comments about this.

Rovert

Post by Rovert » Sun May 01, 2011 10:43 am

I love the ideas so far. And I agree, packs of wolves would are incredibly difficult to fight. One is a challenge enough if you're not just holding down the RMB, but two is very difficult.

I see rabbits as high-flying, kick-based attackers. Fast and fleety, designed to take on opponents one at a time, whittling down enemy forces if confronted by more than one. Likes groups. Would become even more deadly with another rabbit (or rabbits) as a companion.

Cats would definitely be fast runners, as stated above, samurai-like opponents. I love the idea of cats playing with their prey and only wounding them enough to have them stumble around or just slowly become less and less able to fight back.

Dogs would have to be stronger than cats and rabbits, yet still weaker than wolves. I see them relying on their fists as well as blunt-type weapons, perhaps nun-chucks or hammers, though kicking isn't out of the option. Close-quarters, in-your-face type combat. Uses the area to their advantage. Goes for high ground, uses choke points, etc.

Rats would be the more cowardly type of foe, perhaps waiting on the outskirts of a battle for the safest time for them to strike. If alone, they would never attack a group of enemies. Would never attack a wolf unless it's highly injured/on the verge of death. Sticks to the shadows. Would use small, concealable weapons as well as tools that can trip up enemies or aid in a hasty escape.

Wolves would likely hunt in packs, but this could come into question because of their great strength. They would not run from a fight and rarely use weapons or tools. They can detect enemies from further away, and never lose track of wounded enemies, unless said enemy crossed a river or found a way to hide it's scent (mud, a fallen wolf, plants). Brutal yet cunning.

And anything that Whaleman does would replicate the effects of a nuclear bomb.

mycathasrabies

Post by mycathasrabies » Sun May 01, 2011 1:36 pm

Wolves fighting like kimbo?
:lol:

SilentSouth

Post by SilentSouth » Sun May 01, 2011 2:59 pm

Rovert wrote:And anything that Whaleman does would replicate the effects of a nuclear bomb.
Fucking lol

But yeah, i came up with a few new ideas.

Wolf: I still think these guys throwing attack should literally be picking thier opponents up and launching them at a surface.

Cats: The reason why i chose mantis style martial arts to explain was because it involves open hands like cat claws and i think these should be put to use perhaps causing the opponent to bleed slowly as said above.

Dogs: As someone said CQC, which was why i chose Mui Tai which involves mainly knees and elbows, plus if you look in the alpha models the dogs have the most advanced weaponry already made.

Rats: Sneak attacks, and i also like the idea of them somehow injuring an opponent, forcing them to limp or slowly die while they wait in the shadows to finish them off.

Rabbits: I still think the brazillian scissor kick would be a good idea to implement.

SilentSouth

Post by SilentSouth » Tue May 10, 2011 1:52 pm

Bump?