My ideas for OG combat

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
CeliacBoy

My ideas for OG combat

Post by CeliacBoy » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:11 pm

I have a few ideas that I think would be good for the Overgrowth combat system.

Left click punches, right click kicks, middle click grabs and blocks.
EDIT: middle click is too flimsy, it should be F.

I think this would add a whole new level of control to Overgrowth.
Currently the type of attack you do (excluding grabs) is determined by the distance between you and your opponent, and your movement direction. I think that these things are very hard to think about in the middle of combat, and that mistakes can be made easily. But, if each type of attack was given it's own button, it would eradicate this problem. This would allow you to easily determine what type of attack you throw. Also, it allows different enemies to be weak (or strong) against certain attacks. For instance, enemies with very strong blocks can easily absorb your punches, but will be too slow to avoid a stronger kick.

Punches: fast, weak, medium range*, hard to dodge, easy to block.

Kicks: slow, strong, long range*, easy to dodge, breaks through blocks.

*EDIT: All attacks should be able to be used at all ranges. e.g. At close range kicks can be knees, and at long range punches can shuffle in. It's too complex to think about how far away the enemy is and what attack to do.

Grabs are a little more complex, they would be close range, and only could be used when the enemy is open. Perhaps holding a directional key would cause the enemy to be thrown in that direction, and just pressing grab would cause you to grab their head, and knee them in the face. Also, grab animations should be different depending on which way the enemy is facing.

Combos.

EDIT:This idea is out. It wouldn't really work with multiple enemies.

This would work well with my previous idea. for example.

P = punch
K = kick
W = forwards

P-P-P = jab-punch-hook
P-P-W+K = jab-punch-knee
P-P-W+P = jab-punch-elbow

Power attacks.

Holding an attack key would cause the attack to be slower, but more powerful. Would look pretty much exactly like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzjRGs3QKzc

Would work really well with Combos.

What do you guys think about my ideas?
Last edited by CeliacBoy on Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:16 am, edited 3 times in total.

Starkiller2000

Re: My ideas for OG combat

Post by Starkiller2000 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:40 pm

My only problem with that is it kinda turns overgrowth into a button masher style game. And the distance/location based attacks are actually easier because the game does the thinking for you, with your system you have to figure out based on where the enemy is where he is going to be and then figure out the corresponding attack you need for that scenario. Also that system would be very difficult with multiple enemies. I hope I didnt sound too negative or anything, but I will say it is an interesting idea.

CeliacBoy

Post by CeliacBoy » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:30 pm

Starkiller2000 wrote:Also that system would be very difficult with multiple enemies.
Good point, I never thought of that. I don't think combos would really work against multiple enemies.

Instead, maybe just make it so you don't attack with the same side twice, to make chained attacks look nicer. Which i'm pretty sure is going to happen anyway.
Starkiller2000 wrote: And the distance/location based attacks are actually easier because the game does the thinking for you, with your system you have to figure out based on where the enemy is where he is going to be and then figure out the corresponding attack you need for that scenario.
Again, good point. Different attack's ranges probably should be the same, for instance if you punch at long range you could shuffle in and punch. Or if you kicked at close range you could knee. That would get rid of thinking about how far away you are and what attack is used at that range.

The only thing you should need to think about, is what general type of attack is good against that enemy. Which can be done much faster, and doesn't need to be done every time you attack.

BlackWaltz

Post by BlackWaltz » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:32 pm

How would the weapons work with this configuration?

CeliacBoy

Post by CeliacBoy » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:48 pm

BlackWaltz wrote:How would the weapons work with this configuration?
Most likely weapons would be picked up/equipped with Q/E (like in lugaru). Left click would be weapon attack, right click would still kick, and middle click still would be grab. With larger weapons, grab would change to block, and with even larger weapons, you may not be able to kick.

brigadesoft

Post by brigadesoft » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:52 am

CeliacBoy wrote:I think that these things are very hard to think about in the middle of combat, and that mistakes can be made easily.
I disagree with everything, but this particular passage is where most of my disagreement is focused.

Wilbefast
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence

Post by Wilbefast » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:35 pm

Starkiller2000 wrote:My only problem with that is it kinda turns overgrowth into a button masher style game.
+1

StompJunkman

Post by StompJunkman » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:27 pm

By God, the throw button should be located on its own button. All too often I end up throwing when I want to block.

m3nace

Post by m3nace » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:28 pm

Wilbefast wrote:
Starkiller2000 wrote:My only problem with that is it kinda turns overgrowth into a button masher style game.
+1
+1

CeliacBoy

Post by CeliacBoy » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:38 pm

StompJunkman wrote:By God, the throw button should be located on its own button. All too often I end up throwing when I want to block.
Yeah, you're right. I have that problem too. I remember in lugaru trying to do a reversal on a wolf, and instead crouching, and getting kicked in the face. I don't know what button could be used instead though.

Ryuzaki

Post by Ryuzaki » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:08 am

It would be useful if there was an attack (Besides throw) that would knock back enemies if you were facing a group. All i can think of is punching the ground and sending a shockwave :p

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:40 am

Ryuzaki wrote:It would be useful if there was an attack (Besides throw) that would knock back enemies if you were facing a group. All i can think of is punching the ground and sending a shockwave :p
Positioning should play a big role here. If all your enemies are coming from one direction, throw or push one of them towards the others. There's numerous shoulder strikes and pushes and such that can be used to send enemies flying the way they were coming from.

Even if you just make one enemy fall down, and that doesn't directly stun all the other enemies (it was often ridiculously easy to stun several enemies in Lugaru), the guy on the ground will slow down your enemies as they go around him. It's just for a couple of steps, but if you knew you'd do it, that should give you enough time to get more distance between you.

Conner36

Post by Conner36 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:06 am

CeliacBoy wrote:I have a few ideas that I think would be good for the Overgrowth combat system.

Left click punches, right click kicks, middle click grabs and blocks.
EDIT: middle click is too flimsy, it should be F.

I think this would add a whole new level of control to Overgrowth.
Currently the type of attack you do (excluding grabs) is determined by the distance between you and your opponent, and your movement direction. I think that these things are very hard to think about in the middle of combat, and that mistakes can be made easily. But, if each type of attack was given it's own button, it would eradicate this problem. This would allow you to easily determine what type of attack you throw. Also, it allows different enemies to be weak (or strong) against certain attacks. For instance, enemies with very strong blocks can easily absorb your punches, but will be too slow to avoid a stronger kick.

Punches: fast, weak, medium range*, hard to dodge, easy to block.

Kicks: slow, strong, long range*, easy to dodge, breaks through blocks.

*EDIT: All attacks should be able to be used at all ranges. e.g. At close range kicks can be knees, and at long range punches can shuffle in. It's too complex to think about how far away the enemy is and what attack to do.

Grabs are a little more complex, they would be close range, and only could be used when the enemy is open. Perhaps holding a directional key would cause the enemy to be thrown in that direction, and just pressing grab would cause you to grab their head, and knee them in the face. Also, grab animations should be different depending on which way the enemy is facing.

Combos.

EDIT:This idea is out. It wouldn't really work with multiple enemies.

This would work well with my previous idea. for example.

P = punch
K = kick
W = forwards

P-P-P = jab-punch-hook
P-P-W+K = jab-punch-knee
P-P-W+P = jab-punch-elbow

Power attacks.

Holding an attack key would cause the attack to be slower, but more powerful. Would look pretty much exactly like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzjRGs3QKzc

Would work really well with Combos.

What do you guys think about my ideas?
If any of these suggestions can be added with mods would you mind posting your idea to http://wiki.wolfire.com/index.php/Wolfi ... ity_Portal?