Overgrowth, best indie game ever?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!

Is this the best indie game?

Hell yea!
40%
It's very close.
52%
Not the best, but good.
7%
Meh...
1%
Not even close.
No votes

Total votes: 88

DawnOfNights

Overgrowth, best indie game ever?

Post by DawnOfNights » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:10 am

So, I've been searching around looking for the best indie game ever, yet these so called "best" indie games don't even seem to compare to Overgrowth. I thought to myself that that is just plain bull, don't get me wrong, there are very good games, but none of them seem good enough to beat overgrowth.
I want to know what's your opinion on overgrowth. :wink:
PS: If you thinks there is a better indie game(which i doubt :lol: ) please post it so we can all see

Count Roland

Re: Overgrowth, best indie game ever?

Post by Count Roland » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:17 am

stev

Post by stev » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:22 am

Terraria is a very, very good indie game. OG isn't the same type of game though so they cannot compare.

Rovert

Post by Rovert » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:54 am

Best Indie game ever is a stretch. Though Overgrowth surely has the potential, it can't really be said whether it is or not yet because it's still in Alpha. If Wolfire finishes the game with the kind of polish that is evident in its weekly updates, then I can see it becoming the next big sensation (think Minecraft, even).

jbaskin

Post by jbaskin » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:12 pm

overgrowth runs really laggy on my computer so with optimization, maybe. otherwise, no

johndh

Post by johndh » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:19 pm

jbaskin wrote:overgrowth runs really laggy on my computer so with optimization, maybe. otherwise, no
OH NOES, Crysis 2 doesn't run on my laptop so it must be a horrible game!

:roll:

tobyface

Post by tobyface » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:58 pm

What a ridiculous statement, the game is still in alpha! Graphically it looks like a middle of the road PS3/X360 game at the moment, which isn't a bad or a good thing, just something to note. It looks promising but by the time it comes out it won't be very special in my opinion.

i should note I am a big fan, and (obviously) have preordered the game. I am looking forward to playing it :) I just think it is massively overhyped by the people on this forum, as one would expect on any preorder forum to be fair :p

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:21 am

Sigh.

Guys, this thread is about people's personal opinions of the game. A laggy game is less fun than a non-laggy game. That kind of affect's a person's opinion on it, wouldn't you say?

This thread isn't about reviews. It's not even about comparisons, since there's nothing to compare. "Best" in this case is more or less "favourite", i.e., purely about opinion. And arguing against other people's perfectly valid opinions in a thread about opinions will achieve nothing.

Jbaskin, yeah, they haven't optimized the game yet so that should improve a lot when the game is finished. They're going to work on gameplay and that kind of stuff first, though, so it'll most probably take a while until we'll see much more optimization.

LugaruFan

Post by LugaruFan » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:01 am

I was going to put in Very close but I thought ''Wait. There's about 4 - 5 guys working on this and getting great progress each week.''
So I put Hell Yeah.

But you know there is many many indie games that nobody knows about, so there could be something
better than OG.

Spooder Weld

Post by Spooder Weld » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:11 am

I would say that Amnesia: The Dark Descent is the best indie game ever, though I personally like frictionals penumbra games better, Amnesia is a better game.

Overgrowth is definitely second. I am an indie game designer and everything I do I always model after the quality that I see from wolfire!
Overgrowth is not done yet, when it is done it may very well take Amnesia down from it's throne, but I doubt it :P

johndh

Post by johndh » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:59 am

I don't think "best" and "favo(u)rite" are the same thing at all. I think there's a big problem with trying to find the best indie game ever, though. Indie games tend to be obscure, so there's a good chance that the best indie game ever didn't even get played by anyone but the developer (who didn't think it was any good, or who just made it for fun and never really bothered to distribute). On the flip side, maybe it became so popular that most people don't even know it's an indie.

As far as great indie games go, I can't really pick a best or a favorite. Frogatto was very well put-together and a lot of fun, if a little short. 0ad is shaping up quite nicely, and I could see it being rather popular. Wesnoth is one of the best FOSS gaming success stories, and its "Under the Burning Suns" campaign was quite possibly the most engaging storyline I've experienced in any medium of entertainment.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:15 pm

I appreciate the support! However, I don't know if it makes sense to compare games in such diverse genres -- is Starcraft better than Team Fortress? Overgrowth is designed to satisfy the desire for intense small-scale hand-to-hand combat against multiple enemies of similar strength to yourself, and I think it may end up being the best at that. On the other hand, it won't be good at conveying a sense of Lovecraftian dread like Amnesia, or presenting richly-thematic physics puzzles like World of Goo.

Llew

Post by Llew » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:20 pm

David has a point. Going out on a limb, I'd say that Overgrowth is definitely in it's own niche, which it will just as certainly excel in. Dominate, even.

Also, first post. Been following the weekly alphas for several months now, and I enjoy every one. Finally preordered.

I'm hoping to do some modding in this fine up and coming engine. :)

Ideka

Post by Ideka » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:56 pm

istalkforcash

Post by istalkforcash » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:08 am

By "best", you could be referring to the enjoyment you get out of playing. Such a criteria would be applicable to all games across the board, and therefore you could pick a "best" one in your opinion.

For me, I believe Dwarf Fortress to be the best indie game. Its depth and limitless potential to expand and improve makes me more excited for it than any game, AAA or Indie (except maybe Diablo III). However, Overgrowth is still at a much earlier stage in development than most popular indie games are at the moment so it would be unfair to compare it in any aspect against other, more developed games.