AAorris' mod - tweaking OG mechanics

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
AAorris

AAorris' mod - tweaking OG mechanics

Post by AAorris » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:27 pm

Hey preorder-ers,
I've been getting accustomed to angelscript by lurking the forums and seeing which of people's ideas I could implement into overgrowth right now!

Here are the things I've done so far:
Advanced jump control
You have an extra level of control over your jumps, now precise jumps are much more comfortable. Look up to jump with more fuel and speed, and down to do the opposite! Don't forget that jump height is also controlled by how long you hold the space bar!

Grab as counter
Grab is now only available right after a block. Use right click to block, and then both left and right mouse buttons to throw. Or, use left click to attack like normal.

(somewhat implemented) Attack rhythm
Attacking just as you've landed a low or close stationary attack will allow you to quickly follow up with another attack. [oops, I didn't include the modified attack xml files, so you might be really strong.]

Velocity oriented wall jumps
When you jump off of a wall, you will face in the direction you jumped! Now continuous or connected wall jumps are much smoother.

Jumping from a ledge hang
When you're hanging around on a ledge, you can now jump off of it towards another ledge or wall! A nice addition to the parkour controls.

Roll barriers
Rolling now has a speed threshold, and makes you active ragdoll when you smash into a wall. Good for people who don't like the look of rolling up the vertical mountains in impressive mountains! *Toggleable*

DoctorGester's weapon grab toggle
I've also implemented DoctorGester's cool toggle! Use q to pick up or drop a weapon.
*Toggleable, hotkey is changeable too.*

Debug/realism scale
Finally, you have control over how my mod affects your character! At level 10 you'll move with about the capabilities of a normal person doing parkour. At level 1, you're just pretty nuts. Change the level in game with '[' and ']' !

Here's a little video if you don't quite understand yet, and don't mind my poor narration!

And here's a little download link. back up your data\scripts folder, and put this one in its place!
Thanks to Ariehl for his hosting! Woohooooo
a137http://ogmods.antonriehl.com/downloads/ ... %20137.zip

a136http://ogmods.antonriehl.com/downloads/ ... %201.1.zip
old url http://ogmods.antonriehl.com/downloads/ ... %20mod.zip

If you have any more suggestions, please post them here and I can try my best to implement them. If people enjoy these mods, I'll keep them updated with the alphas!
Last edited by AAorris on Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:36 am, edited 5 times in total.

Nekros22

Re: AAorris' mod - tweaking OG mechanics

Post by Nekros22 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:04 pm

Impressive, sir.

With that being said I think you're underestimating the amount of work that is left to be done on this game. While I could not be more excited that there is an active modding community THIS early on in the game's development, I'm certain that the Wolfire team is hard at work on many of the improvements you've showcased here.

You obviously have a firm grasp of the game's programming and I look forward to seeing more from you.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:38 pm

Great work, I love seeing mods such as this that truly enhance the gameplay. Maybe in the coming weeks we'll see some native support for your ideas. :)

AAorris

Post by AAorris » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:52 pm

Nekros22 wrote:Impressive, sir.

With that being said I think you're underestimating the amount of work that is left to be done on this game. While I could not be more excited that there is an active modding community THIS early on in the game's development, I'm certain that the Wolfire team is hard at work on many of the improvements you've showcased here.
Aw, of course. I'm sure a lot of these will be promptly implemented, this is only for me, and anyone this would please until the game has developed itself. I'm truly happy with the jump modifications I made, which seem at least semi-original... but things like holding right click to keep a weapon, and a lot of the things around right now are placeholders in-game, and what I've written are only temporary fixes and scripting practice. I know you understand that, too. : )
Nekros22 wrote:You obviously have a firm grasp of the game's programming and I look forward to seeing more from you.
I look forward to hearing from you! This thread is here for any suggestions you might fancy at any time.

Sumguy720

Post by Sumguy720 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:38 pm

I like what you have done!
I do think your view-angle calibration of the jumping should be changed though.
I would suggest making the jump velocity go up until you hit looking straight ahead at which point you have maximum jump velocity, and looking up from there would just make you jump more directly upwards.

so if straight ahead was zero degrees:
-90 degrees = bunny hop, tiny jump.
-90 to 0 degrees = jump velocity goes up but jump angle stays minimum (15 degrees or so, whatever)
0 degrees = max horizontal distance/max velocity
0 to +90 degrees= jump velocity stays the same but jump angle goes up with view angle. (looking higher allows jumping higher but covering less horizontal distance)
+90 degrees = jump straight up

and the jump velocity would be scaled by the players running speed of course so you dont just leap great distances from standstill.

AAorris

Post by AAorris » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:57 pm

Sumguy720 wrote:I like what you have done!
I do think your view-angle calibration of the jumping should be changed though.
I would suggest making the jump velocity go up until you hit looking straight ahead at which point you have maximum jump velocity, and looking up from there would just make you jump more directly upwards.

so if straight ahead was zero degrees:
-90 degrees = bunny hop, tiny jump.
-90 to 0 degrees = jump velocity goes up but jump angle stays minimum (15 degrees or so, whatever)
0 degrees = max horizontal distance/max velocity
0 to +90 degrees= jump velocity stays the same but jump angle goes up with view angle. (looking higher allows jumping higher but covering less horizontal distance)
+90 degrees = jump straight up

and the jump velocity would be scaled by the players running speed of course so you dont just leap great distances from standstill.
Wonderful idea. I've implemented what you've said now, I hope if you play with these tweaks you enjoy it!

AngryAmoeba

Post by AngryAmoeba » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:36 am

A couple of these features were implemented sooner than I expected. :)

This week's alpha added throws as counters and weapon grabbing with keys.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:04 am

AngryAmoeba wrote:A couple of these features were implemented sooner than I expected. :)

This week's alpha added throws as counters and weapon grabbing with keys.
That's not the first time I've seen a mod mimicking a planned update make its official entrance into the game the same week. The interesting thing is whether or not it has been added the same way...

crazyjackal

Post by crazyjackal » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:46 am

Does this mod still work with the a137 build? I'd like to give the jumping mechanic a go but considering that the new build incorporates a similar counter grab mechanic, I was worried of conflicts.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:00 am

crazyjackal wrote:Does this mod still work with the a137 build? I'd like to give the jumping mechanic a go but considering that the new build incorporates a similar counter grab mechanic, I was worried of conflicts.
Sadly, it won't work without being updated. The file the he modified to add the jump mechanic was definitely updated in the alpha this week, and so it's incompatible. It might be easy for him to update, but we'll see if he does (I hope he does).

On the flip side, you could always download a136 and install the mod on that version.

Gifted

Post by Gifted » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:44 pm

ariehl wrote:
crazyjackal wrote:Does this mod still work with the a137 build? I'd like to give the jumping mechanic a go but considering that the new build incorporates a similar counter grab mechanic, I was worried of conflicts.
Sadly, it won't work without being updated. The file the he modified to add the jump mechanic was definitely updated in the alpha this week, and so it's incompatible. It might be easy for him to update, but we'll see if he does (I hope he does).

On the flip side, you could always download a136 and install the mod on that version.
Ahh, so that's why I couldn't run up walls indefinitely. Bummer.

OmarFW

Post by OmarFW » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:51 am

The jumping from wall grabs should definitely be implemented into the finished game for fluid parkour possibilities.

AAorris

Post by AAorris » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:34 am

Renegayed_Turner wrote:
ariehl wrote:

Ahh, so that's why I couldn't run up walls indefinitely. Bummer.
hm, this should do for a137, also updated on top.