Tower custom map

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Jacktheawesome

Tower custom map

Post by Jacktheawesome » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:25 am

Hey guys, after much intermittent work, I have finally finished my second platforming map.

In this map, the objective is simply to get to the observation deck on top of this tower, which is under repair.
damn.
damn.
Screen%20shot%202011-07-22%20at%209.41.24%20PM.png (242.83 KiB) Viewed 2821 times

Please give me feedback on it, whether it be praise, criticism, or suggestions. I know it's not the best, but I at least want to know what you guys think of it :D
Tower.xml.zip
(22.67 KiB) Downloaded 223 times
EDIT: Sorry guys, not enough room to upload the sky texture in the same folder. :(

NOTE: This is not an easy map. Be prepared to spend some time with it in some places. There is a long way to fall, and unless you get lucky, you will fall the whole way. Good luck :twisted:

EDIT: And now download Krabman318's victory text/gong/bow mod! For extra victory! All credit and support questions go to Krabman318 for this mod :)
TowerGong.zip
(368.92 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
Last edited by Jacktheawesome on Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Krabman318

Re: Tower custom map

Post by Krabman318 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:23 am

Looks pretty good so far, hard but fun to play.
Unfortunately, I seem to be missing 3 sky textures, but that might be because I use a139.
Something I´m a little confused about:
I assume you want the player to start by jumping from the first wooden board to the second one, but I never manage to do so.
Tower.PNG
Tower.PNG (128.79 KiB) Viewed 2809 times
What am I doing wrong?
Or am I supposed to start somewhere else?

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:09 am

try loading the level again. that helps me, but one other guy said it didnt. if not, go to the directories of the missing file, find one that is from the same terrain(so if he used desert forts terrain it would say something like "lbahalhabldfsomethingdesertfort.sjd") copy those file and rename them to say the name of his level instead of the other level. make sure to remove the _copy at the end :mrgreen:

Krabman318

Post by Krabman318 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:09 am

I thought that something should happen when you win, so I modded an object replacing the Fancy Ceiling that prints "You Win", plays the "Gong" sound and makes Turner do the bow animation, and placed it on that observation deck.
Would you mind if I posted the level?

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:33 am

Krabman318 wrote:Looks pretty good so far, hard but fun to play.
Unfortunately, I seem to be missing 3 sky textures, but that might be because I use a139.
I've posted links to all the skyboxes for people that are missing them (the team has stopped including the full resolution skybox in the downloads) so you can grab them all here: http://ogmods.antonriehl.com/downloads/skyboxes/

Once you download and unzip them, move them into Data/Textures/Skies, and you will no longer get the error. (Just one skybox will fix all "3" errors.)

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:46 pm

You should link to the sky texture, or even better, supply it with the download.

I'm going to be talking about this level in Overgrowth Weekly 32, but in short:
  • I think it's really annoying being able to fall down all the way and having to start over.
  • In some places the camera is very restrictive as to what you can see, it's very annoying not being able to see what you want to see.
  • Those small openings where you have to duck while jumping through them are really hard to get through.
  • It's hard, this isn't a bad thing as it's not too hard, but you should perhaps let the player know how hard it is before they download it.
Nice job in general, I enjoyed it!

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:19 pm

Krabman318 wrote:Looks pretty good so far, hard but fun to play.
Something I´m a little confused about:
I assume you want the player to start by jumping from the first wooden board to the second one, but I never manage to do so.
Tower.PNG
What am I doing wrong?
Or am I supposed to start somewhere else?
Yes, it is impossible to get up this way. You have to go straight from where you start, towards the boarded off entrance, and then walljump up. It should be pretty self explanatory from there. And go ahead with posting the gong mod, sounds cool :)
Silverfish wrote:You should link to the sky texture, or even better, supply it with the download.

I'm going to be talking about this level in Overgrowth Weekly 32, but in short:

I think it's really annoying being able to fall down all the way and having to start over.
In some places the camera is very restrictive as to what you can see, it's very annoying not being able to see what you want to see.
Those small openings where you have to duck while jumping through them are really hard to get through.
It's hard, this isn't a bad thing as it's not too hard, but you should perhaps let the player know how hard it is before they download it.

Nice job in general, I enjoyed it!
Cool! Thanks!

Yeah, this is only my second time doing this, and I don't think the first one got a lot of attention, so I wasn't really sure about the textures. I'll post them when I next get a chance. It's just the sky stuff for red desert right?

Yeah, that can get annoying. I tried to make it more forgiving in the harder places, but I also wanted to make sure that there were no exploitable shortcuts.

I didn't notice this. I'll take a look.

I know, those take some practice :twisted:

I guess I didn't realize how hard it was; I had lots of practice while making it, so it all seems pretty easy to me. Now that I know that one is justified, I'll include a difficulty disclaimer. Thanks for the feedback! :)

Krabman318

Post by Krabman318 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:59 pm

Jacktheawesome wrote: ...And go ahead with posting the gong mod, sounds cool :) ...
IMPORTANT: Back up your original files.
The mod may be incompatible with alphas higher or lower than a139.
TowerGong.zip
There it is!
(363.04 KiB) Downloaded 69 times

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:14 pm

Krabman318 wrote:
Jacktheawesome wrote: ...And go ahead with posting the gong mod, sounds cool :) ...
IMPORTANT: Back up your original files.
The mod may be incompatible with alphas higher or lower than a139.
TowerGong.zip
Awesome! I'll attach it to the original post :)

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:30 pm

I created a playthrough video of this level.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:43 pm

Silverfish wrote:I created a playthrough video of this level.
Cool! :)

Krabman318, which skybox are you missing, so I can put it in the download?

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:23 pm

Jacktheawesome wrote:Krabman318, which skybox are you missing, so I can put it in the download?
If you open up your level's xml file look for this code:

Code: Select all

<Sky>
    <DomeTexture>Data/Textures/skies/bright_dusk.tga</DomeTexture>
    <SunAngularRad>0.153056</SunAngularRad>
    <SunColorAngle>353.589</SunColorAngle>
    <RayToSun r0="0.849746" r1="0.499721" r2="0.167961" />
    <ExtraAO>0</ExtraAO>
</Sky>
The line that says "DomeTexture" is the line you are interested in. If your level is the Red Desert level, then your skybox is "bright_dusk.tga" and you can download it from this link: http://ogmods.antonriehl.com/downloads/ ... sk.tga.zip

Even though he said he was missing three files, they will all be created from the one original file when you load the level the first time.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:38 pm

Alright, thanks. :)

AndreDinisCTU

Post by AndreDinisCTU » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:20 pm

I just downloaded 40 minutes ago your Tower map, I liked it. But I had some troubles in loading the map, because of the three files related to the sky that Phoenix can't find. So, after reading some things in this topic and knowing that this Tower map is equal to the 16_red_desert, thus, equal skie textures, I went to the folder Data/Textures/skies/ and I duplicated these three files:

bright_dusk.tga_16_red_desert_cube.dds
bright_dusk.tga_16_red_desert_cube_diffuse.dds
bright_dusk.tga_16_red_desert_cube_spec.dds

and renamed them with the new map name (Tower):

bright_dusk.tga_Tower_cube.dds
bright_dusk.tga_Tower_cube_diffuse.dds
bright_dusk.tga_Tower_cube_spec.dds

After that, I had no problem at all. I did enjoyed your map, after doing it by "checkpoints" but I made it until the end. The last part was a little hard to do, but I found that the part you had to jump and crouch to enter was even more difficult. Pretty rage mode activating but I managed to do it, :D. I thought that there were parts very original in platforming so, keep up doing these kind of maps, and stay original.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:23 am

Glad you liked it :)