Animation suggestion

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Precastwig

Animation suggestion

Post by Precastwig » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:44 pm

When you jump at a ledge while "grabbing" at speed it seems odd for rabbot to lift up with both legs at the same time and both hands on the ledge. At speed you would do a cat leap, (One foot on the ledge to help push yourself up) This is only for lowish ledges and at speed, It just looks a bit off.

Am i making sense?

Jacktheawesome

Re: Animation suggestion

Post by Jacktheawesome » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:36 pm

Do you mean Crane Jump? Cat leap is something completely different.
You're messing up your Parkour terminology somewhere...

Precastwig

Post by Precastwig » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:57 pm

Jacktheawesome wrote:Do you mean Crane Jump? Cat leap is something completely different.
You're messing up your Parkour terminology somewhere...
Hmm i dont think i am.

Im going to sleep for now, but i will edit this tomorrow. :3

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:49 pm

Well I happen to practice Parkour, so I'll give you a short rundown of some techniques I think you might mean.

Cat Leap: The cat leap is what Turner already does when you jump at a ledge and hold rclick. You jump at a ledge, plant both feet on it, and as you are catching the wall with your feet you grasp the ledge with your hands. From this position you can vault over the ledge.

Cat/Kong Vault: I'm mentioning this because you mentioned lowish ledges, which sounds a lot like vaults to me. You dive at a low wall (low as in up to chest height), and then bring your knees through your planted hands, releasing your hands right before your knees pass through them. From there you pop into an upright position and continue running. The standard vault.

Speed/Side Vault: Another vault for lowish walls, you jump over the wall and twist your body to an almost horizontal position, and put one hand on the wall midway over it. The hand remains for a moment at most, and is used to push your body back to an upright position. I'm mentioning this because a way for beginners to practice this move is tapping one foot on the wall as they pass over it.

Crane Jump: If A: You are running from the ground and a wall is to high to vault but not high enough to merit a Wallrun or B: You are jumping from a wall to another wall and the wall is too far to land cleanly on two feet, but too close to merit a Cat Leap, you A: Take a running jump at the wall but lift one leg as high up as you can and plant your leading foot on the wall, pushing up from there or B: Jump normally, but at the last second reach out with one leg, and do the same as A.

The last thing I think you could mean is when Turner has just performed the cat leap, and vaults onto the wall he was clinging to. As far as I know there is no name for this, as there are different methods of doing it. First, there's the method that I, many other people, and Ezio use to vault onto a wall. A strong push with the arms, and a step onto the wall with one foot. However, there are some Parkour practitioners who are very strong, who do what Turner does: just vault straight over the wall with two feet. I hope this helped :)

Precastwig

Post by Precastwig » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:05 am

Oh i mean crane jump :3

Yeah i used practice parkour too, just forgot the terms.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:02 pm

Haha cool! :)
I think it might even be better if in that situation Turner just did a Kong onto the surface. I mean he can obviously jump high enough.

Precastwig

Post by Precastwig » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:49 pm

Jacktheawesome wrote:Haha cool! :)
I think it might even be better if in that situation Turner just did a Kong onto the surface. I mean he can obviously jump high enough.
Only if he was going fast enough, it should be based on speed.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:14 pm

Crane jumps take more energy than kongs. Think of the Monkey vault, where you kong a railing or wall from a standstill position. Plus, Since Turner always runs at the same speed, it would be rather pointless to do something based on speed. Wall height would be a more logical factor.

johndh

Post by johndh » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:31 pm

Vaults would be better with speed, but I like how his jumps were higher when crouching in Lugaru. It gave me the impression that he was using the spring-like action of his powerful legs, rather than momentum that a human would rely on.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:14 pm

I agree, I would like to see this feature make a comeback