A poll about dismemberment...

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!

What do you think of dismemberment in Overgrowth?

I'd prefer it if the developers didn't spend that much time working on it.
10%
I would prefer to play without it.
8%
I don't really care, one way or another.
18%
I like it! I'd love to have it in OG.
48%
I LOOOVE it! Dismemberment should be added even if it means less work in other areas.
17%

Total votes: 959

Endoperez

A poll about dismemberment...

Post by Endoperez » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:32 pm

... because I'm tired of seeing all of these threads about it.

This poll is biased, since I don't care about dismemberment. However, I think it'd be lots of work for the benefit.

Also, I doubt this will really affect the developers one way or another, but I wish this would stop all the bloody threads from popping up all the time. I'm also hoping the neutral options would have a number of votes in them, so I'd have some way to argue all the vocal BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD guys, but I doubt that. :lol:

Jacktheawesome

Re: A poll about dismemberment...

Post by Jacktheawesome » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:39 pm

I would like to see it if it was done well, I mean why the hell not. But it would have to be after other more important things.

Krabman318

Post by Krabman318 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:28 am

It should be toggleable.
Last edited by Krabman318 on Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unwoundpath

Post by Unwoundpath » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:53 am

Krabman318 wrote:I´d like to have it in the game, but it should be toggleable.
Yes, that way this game can be for more people.

nutcracker

Post by nutcracker » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:53 am

A game likes this? The gorier the better!

iPhoenix

Post by iPhoenix » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:11 am

The problem is: If it's toggle-able, people _with_ dismemberment will get a different game to those _without_ dismemberment. That is, only if you can't wear weapons using the spot in the air where previously your now cut-down arm was.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:59 am

iPhoenix wrote:The problem is: If it's toggle-able, people _with_ dismemberment will get a different game to those _without_ dismemberment. That is, only if you can't wear weapons using the spot in the air where previously your now cut-down arm was.
That's only true if the player character can survive dismemberment. That's a step down from saying that the player character can survive decapitation, but it's still pretty absurd.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:29 pm

I would post a funny Endoface that makes it painfully obvious how shot down that was, but I don't want to make one right now. But he has a point. Surviving dismemberment? Possible, but it would usually remove you from combat..

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:07 pm

I'm afraid it was not quite as shot down as you would think it was.
Shock takes a while to set in. Someone in the heat of battle might not even notice that anything is wrong until later. I slammed my finger in a car door and didn't really even feel anything, but 15 minutes later I was shivering and in intense pain. Here's another article.
Decapitation, however, is another issue entirely :P

Cory1337

Post by Cory1337 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:43 pm

Dismemberment would certianly incapacitate an enemy. Sure people have survived and even continued fighting after having a limb dismembered but to be honest I would hate to see that in this game. With the current animation for rolling on the floor with blood spirting from the neck I don't think this game is aimed at a younger audience anyway, that is equally graphic as dismemberment. As for adding it to the game, Yeah it would be cool but I don't really think it would dramatically effect the games mechanics. All of the gore effects that are currently in the game should be togglable (I think that is how it is spelt) although I don't see the point as a kid could just as easily turn it on. With the current level of detail in the gore I think it is safe to say children shouldn't be playing this game anyway. But yeah I would like to see it in the future but only if the developers have time to work on it or feel it is necessary I'm not going to stop playing the game if they don't add it or anything.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:33 pm

Yeah pretty much. Lugaru did have toggleable blood effects, so I expect to see at least the same in OG. And I mean I started playing Lugaru when I was about 10, and it didn't bother me, but I guess some other kids might not have the same sensibilities. I don't even think we have anybody on this forum younger than 13; I joined when I was 14. As for toggleable dismemberment, if I were to see them implement dismemberment I would like to see them do something creative with it, or incorporate it in some way into the fighting mechanics. I mean, it would really change the game to toggle something as big as that one way or another.

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:54 pm

well, there was that 9 year old who drew that fanart, but he is probably 10 now. still quite young, though i think most kids wouldnt mind the blood, and a lot wouldnt mind dismemberment.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:00 pm

That's true! I still think Huey should be in the game.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:04 pm

No point in it, dismemberment will never be done right and it's simply not too interesting of a feature. (I don't think I need to add that that's just my opinion, but I suppose I just did anyway)

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:11 am

Count Roland wrote:No point in it, dismemberment will never be done right and it's simply not too interesting of a feature. (I don't think I need to add that that's just my opinion, but I suppose I just did anyway)
In the school I'm starting, some coders have experienced with dynamically cutting player characters into pieces. The examples I saw before I applied were still crude, but if students can get it working, professional team could get it working fast and make it look cool.

As long as that is mechanically possible, the rest is just gameplay. I think it could be "done right", whatever your "right" is. I do agree it's not that interesting of a feature.

Also, I'm afraid I won't follow up on the reality discussion. I don't like gory things that much, and since I most probably wouldn't enjoy reading whatever is behind those links, I'll just agree that there are exceptions to the rule and let's leave it at that.

Also only half of the votes have been for dismemberment so far. That's surprising, but I guess it will go up if the thread stay on the front page. If nothing else, new preorderers lured in by the new blood effects will probably like the idea of dismemberment.