Some help with combat?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Geodude07

Some help with combat?

Post by Geodude07 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:47 am

Hey there all I just preordered because ive seen tidbits of this game on gametrailers and thought that I would want it so why not preorder.

Ive been messing around a teeny bit, spawning in enemies, jumping to my death and in general doing silly and foolish things. Yet I still feel very bad when it comes to combat. I dont mean that combat is bad I mean that I am currently bad at it, especially when I don't use slow motion.

I mean sometimes I pull off a nice counter or two but then at other times the enemy sits around and waits for my move and just beats me down or completely blitzes and destroys me. So being new to this system what would you recommend I do to learn? attacks seem to change based on movement a bit but im just a little confused.

Any help would be great.

MinorThreat

Re: Some help with combat?

Post by MinorThreat » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:58 am

Honestly, I kinda suck at it and ive been a preordere from quite some time already.

To start off if you wanna win (but doesnt make cool looking fights) use the leg cannon often, its usually a one hit kill. otherwise try to run into an enemy and strike first and hit him when hes on the ground. Otherwise, just keep countering.

As for enemies with weapons or in groups... good luck

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:39 am

It's about timing and movement.

You should practice against a single opponent, with no weapons, at first. Press 'c' to make opponents non-hostile, then you can try different attacks without them beating back at you.

Oh, and rolling (movement + crouch/shift) is often a good way of evading an AI's attack.

brigadesoft

Post by brigadesoft » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:37 am

The attacks are split into:

Close, standing.
Close, moving.
Far, standing.
Far, moving.
Crouching.

That's how you determine which attack you'll use.

Like someone said, try turning off the hostility of the enemies, and practicing
getting the attack you want to come out consistently. Then you can compare
the speeds of the attacks to the speeds of the enemies' attacks - if the enemy
uses a slow attack, you can often not block at all, and simply counter by
intercepting with a faster attack. It hurts more to get hit while you're attacking
than to get hit while one is just standing there, so that's better.

Everything else (consistent blocking / dodging) will come with practice.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:49 pm

Blocking and dodging both use similar timing, and the sound that the enemy makes will clue you in on when to do it. To block, you tap right click when being attacks, and to dodge you tap a direction button away from the enemy. If you successfully block, and continue to hold right click, you will begin to throw your enemy. A throw can be countered by also tapping right click.

Dr. Whoop

Post by Dr. Whoop » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:02 pm

Nothing is more satisfying than pulling off a beast combo against multiple enemies..

GaGrin

Post by GaGrin » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:41 pm

Endoperez wrote:Oh, and rolling (movement + crouch/shift) is often a good way of evading an AI's attack.
The AI seems to follow the same rules on attacks so I find this is significantly safer if the opponent is running at you - if they're standing or only circling they'll often do a straight kick and rolling won't avoid it (and you'll quite often get kicked in the head to make matters worse).

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:24 pm

If you get knocked down you also want to roll immediately (by pressing shift) so they don't finish you off while you're lying there.

Garabaldi

Post by Garabaldi » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:53 pm

When should I be using the legsweep? I find this is the only move that I can't pull off consistently - it either get's blocked or I am just as often hit while in the middle of attempting it.

And it seems like I get taken out by it all the time.

I just can't figure out the timing - what's my clue to use the legsweep? After an attack? After a counter?

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:01 pm

Huh, I can't help there. I don't do a ton of combat and I don't use the leg sweep much. It's a pretty quick attack, but is generally fatal if the enemy straight kicks. Straight kicks are about as quick as it comes for leg attacks.