When the night has come, and the land is dark..

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Garabaldi

When the night has come, and the land is dark..

Post by Garabaldi » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:03 pm

What's with the weird film-grain effect on the maps that take place during the night? It looks quite strange IMO and detracts from the quality of the visuals.

Also, are there plans to include a nighttime sky editor? I see there's a button to switch between night/day, but obviously it isn't implemented yet - It would be neat to be able to choose the position/phase/amount of light given off by the moon so you could make some more illuminated nighttime maps and some ones where its impossible to see more than 2 feet in front of you. Anyway I assume this is already planned since it's not different form the regular sky editor.

Kicktar

Re: When the night has come, and the land is dark..

Post by Kicktar » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:33 pm

The grain is to simulate what it looks like when your eyes are straining in the dark, try it some evening, it's cool that they actually look similar.

Garabaldi

Post by Garabaldi » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:41 pm

I don't think it does a good job of simulating what it's intending to, then, because things don't really become any harder to spot, the graphics just take on a much more fuzzy quality and it ends up looking washed out and much worse than the maps that take place during the day. Seems like a better solution would just be making the nights actually dark - as of right now there's almost no reduction in visibility and you can see just as far as you can during the day.

And I can assure you I've never had a similar effect applied to my vision when I'm outside at night, squinting or not - that's why I pointed it out, because it looks so out-of-place and awkward and I couldn't figure out what its purpose was.

Just my opinion of course.

last

Post by last » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:48 pm

here is alpha video about it http://blog.wolfire.com/2011/01/Overgro ... -changelog it was posted January 11th, 2011 and have'nt changed since. i belive David have better things to do right now, but he will get there to make awsome night shader.

AluminumHaste

Post by AluminumHaste » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:20 pm

I completely agree I find it annoying and it looks terrible lol. It would be nice if the levels were just really dark then it would difficult to see. I know that's more realistic but it probably isn't very fun gameplay wise to be running right off a cliff lol. :mrgreen: