How do make the enemy smarter.......

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Seradest

How do make the enemy smarter.......

Post by Seradest » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:34 pm

I see all the Dev videos and i has an idea:

1.when the NPC hears you he search randomly sometime for an other npc that search with him together after you.
2.when he hears you sometimes he is scared and sneak in fear to the enemy
3.the field of view and the field of hear of an NPC is everytime a little random.
4.when an NPC see an dead freind he randomly search for help.

Weridoguy

Re: How do make the enemy smarter.......

Post by Weridoguy » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:37 am

None of your suggestions would make the enemies seem smarter.

1.If an enemy hear something he would most likely go look where he thought he heard the sound coming from, then give up thinking it was his imagination or the wind. If he heard something like a spear getting dropped on the floor, he would run toward it alerted, then after a while of searching thinking it fell because of poor placement.
2.I partially agree to that the enemy would get scared when it heard you, yet I think that you could have been a little bit more specific: If a lone rabbit soldier hears a wolf, he might hide, but if he is together with another they will form a defensive formation and wait for it. If a group of civilian rabbits hear a wolf they would all run in panic. If a character is hurt, it might affect his decision to run or to stay, so that an almost dead rabbit and an healthy rabbit won't try to face a wolf head to head.
3.The field of view is fixed to almost 360 degrees on an rabbit, as it has eyes on both sides of it's head, and there is no such thing as field of hear. You probably meant hearing range, yet that would not be random either, however if there was background noise you would easier be able to sneak around a guard than without.
4.If an npc guard sees a dead guard I think he would go up to him to see what caused the death, and if he sees he died in battle he would look around a bit before alerting the guards, just to make sure that the killer don't get away. If he saw a civilian he would not care to check the course of death, but he would just inform someone so that he would get buried and that its family would not think that he was still out to buy some milk at the local marketplace.

nutcracker

Post by nutcracker » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:00 am

Weridoguy wrote: 3.The field of view is fixed to almost 360 degrees on an rabbit, as it has eyes on both sides of it's head, and there is no such thing as field of hear. You probably meant hearing range, yet that would not be random either, however if there was background noise you would easier be able to sneak around a guard than without.
I think he wants to say that each guard should be slightly different. Every human has a slightly different eye sight and hearing ability. Some guards should have better vision and some little worse. Correct me if I am wrong.

ivenoidea

Post by ivenoidea » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:45 pm

The difference would be pretty small though i think. Humans do have different eyesight and hearing but the differences usually are fairly small.

And i don't expect a blind or deaf rabbit to be a guard.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:50 pm

There is a slight variation in humans, but it's not one that can really be quantified accurately in NPC calculations. I don't want one guard to randomly have super-hearing in his left ear, and thus catch me, or have one guard be blind in one eye, allowing me to sneak past him in plain view. Maybe if it was part of the level or story that this particular guard was blind in one eye, but not as a random occurrence.