Some reflexions about water

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
ap0

Some reflexions about water

Post by ap0 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:21 am

I just watched the yesterday's "Art Asset", and I felt completely in love with the "static water".
It's adding some sort of calm and relaxing atmosphere, to see those big static waves. They kinda looks like Japanese paintings.

What do you think about it ?

MightyWarriorEX

Re: Some reflexions about water

Post by MightyWarriorEX » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:37 pm

I JUST watched the video and was thinking the same thing. It's actually really attractive just the way it is, or maybe with some slight tweaking.

It made me start to think of an alternate path that OG could take (not that it would, I was just in my own little world for awhile thinking about this concept). I was picturing a combination of a highly detailed world (everything from characters to the objects in the terrain and objects that you interact with) but with some subtle items, like the water, buildings, or sky box, being more hazy and less detailed, but with other aspects of their existance making them feel real, i.e. audio of waves, or a fake looking sun with the glare effect.

I was imagining this as if a child was playing with a toy and creating a story in his head, but the focus kind of fades as you get farther away from the immediate and the things that are most important to the narrative in the child's imagination.

I don't know, maybe one day someone will mod the game to reflect something like that. I think it would be cool, does anyone else?

Vrav

Post by Vrav » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:01 am

That does sound like a cool game, MightyWarriorEX. Psychonauts had stuff like that.

zalo

Post by zalo » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:17 pm

That water did capture my imagination. I hope there is a sequence in the game where the water is frozen, like by a spell or something, similar to that "forever night" sequence in Zelda Windwaker.

Overgrowth could be a fantastic vehicle for some surreal scenes and Aubrey does an amazing job of capturing a specific mood and feel.

zzwerty

Post by zzwerty » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:38 am

ap0 wrote:I just watched the yesterday's "Art Asset", and I felt completely in love with the "static water".
It's adding some sort of calm and relaxing atmosphere, to see those big static waves. They kinda looks like Japanese paintings.

What do you think about it ?
I think I'd like to see dynamic water first before I make my desicion on which I like more..