Stealth and the application thereof

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Aleol

Stealth and the application thereof

Post by Aleol » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:34 am

The stealth in this game seems to have become one of the most important aspects, what with enemies hitting just as hard as you it seems. In Lugaru, stealth was a frustrating and inexact science which basically boiled down to "Stay behind them, or some other object and stay crouched." As far as we've seen in overgrowth it is currently the same thing, but being in alpha, while David is taking great strides in gameplay additions, Stealth has largely taken a back seat in favor of more important things, like continuing to build the game.

So the subject is thus: What are some ways we can improve the stealth gameplay from Lugaru to make it less limited to crazy obsessives mastering every finicky little part of the Stealthing?

This is just brainstorming really. I personally loved the stealthing in Lugaru; it was really the only way I even managed to beat the challenges, But it's impossible not to improve on something. Like in the Metal Gear Solid games, different camouflages for different situations (though I'm not sure that would fit very well in the game) or the Thief games, where you can hide in the shadows or in bushes and just sneak by or kill silently from 5 feet away with a visibility meter that showed you how well hidden (or not) you were, or the assassin's creed games... Which overgrowth and lugaru are basically already like, but with more powerful jumpers and keener senses,sneaking up on an enemy in disguise (HA) and just driving a knife in their throat before they even knew what happened, while simultaneously alerting every guard from here to Jerusalem?

Glabbit

Re: Stealth and the application thereof

Post by Glabbit » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:01 am

Oh yes!
There's some serious consideration to be done here.

Although it's going to be tough to do right, since the whole charm of Lugaru - and I hope OG too - is the delicious lack of HUD or other meta-interface.
I loved attempting to stealth in Lugaru - Loved the hiding attempts, and everything. No doubt OG will work this in a similar way, but with all the work that's being done, I can't help but imagine some ridiculously brilliant new coding workaround system that portrays the whole matter ferpectly.

What could there possibly be to brainstorm about? I'm no programmer.
Hmm-hmm.

Endoperez

Re: Stealth and the application thereof

Post by Endoperez » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:21 am

One interesting application of stealth you don't usually see would be AI trying to avoid entering the player's sight. It's probably too much work for the effect, though.

This old blog post mentions they're planning to have smell, noise and direct line of sight detection in the game, at least.

http://blog.wolfire.com/2009/08/camoufl ... -mechanic/