[Auto Updater] SUMLauncher - 3.0.8

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
ilMalto

Re: [Auto Updater] SUMLauncher - 3.0.0

Post by ilMalto » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:46 pm

sum on mac doesnt work because it's damaged

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:48 pm

ilMalto wrote:sum on mac doesnt work because it's damaged
It is not damaged, this is an issue with Mac OS 10.7 and 10.8. In the first thread of this post, go to the "Troubleshooting" portion, and you will see how to ignore this error.

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:25 pm

toto wrote:in the beginning, the game was good but the game stopped after 10 minute.

Could you please be more specific - like do you get an error message? If so, what message? If you try launching the game now does it not load? What operating system are you using? if on windows or linux, what output can you see on the console that pops up with the game? (if mac you can show this console by opening the SUMLauncher preferences and checking the 'Enable Debug Terminal' option)

You can try clearing the cache with SUMLauncher ('File->Delete Local Files...' with the default selection). If this still happens when you don't have any custom content installed then you may want to post in the normal alpha topic here on the forums. Random crashes can and do still occur at this point in development.

zolcos

Post by zolcos » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:42 pm

It's a great utility, but I wanted to share some thoughts on the community content browser.
It's a little frustrating having to wait for a dependency to download before I can click to download the map I wanted. It would be nice if I could queue a map with all its dependencies with one click.

It might also benefit from categorization by intended audience. It seems that the majority of maps are there as a resource for other modders or to showcase level building skills but aren't actually intended to be playable. It would be useful to be able to separate things like "Turner's Castle" (a complete campaign style map) from the many empty city maps. Would certainly make life easier for new preorderers who just want to play something to see what it is they bought.

Also I noticed some level descriptions aren't really descriptions of the level but rather forum posts like "Hi everyone this is my first level"

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:57 pm

zolcos wrote:It's a great utility, but I wanted to share some thoughts on the community content browser.
It's a little frustrating having to wait for a dependency to download before I can click to download the map I wanted. It would be nice if I could queue a map with all its dependencies with one click.

It might also benefit from categorization by intended audience. It seems that the majority of maps are there as a resource for other modders or to showcase level building skills but aren't actually intended to be playable. It would be useful to be able to separate things like "Turner's Castle" (a complete campaign style map) from the many empty city maps. Would certainly make life easier for new preorderers who just want to play something to see what it is they bought.

Also I noticed some level descriptions aren't really descriptions of the level but rather forum posts like "Hi everyone this is my first level"
Thanks for the feedback! It's always useful for us.

I agree about the waiting for dependencies, but unfortunately, if we queue up files, and some kind of error occurs, and some content doesn't install properly, we thought it was easier to have to "wait" (you can always hit cancel and come back to a map as well) than it would be to find out you are missing files, with no way to know what is missing.

We're working on keywords to help differentiate what types of maps there are, but unfortunately, we can't write all that content for people. At this point, all the community content was just taken from existing maps/mods, and we used what resources we had - The descriptions from the posts the content creators made. Ideally, anyone that has content in the browser should contact Aaron or myself, and we will update information for you - Tags, descriptions, etc. - because this information simply didn't exist before this update. I think you'll find that as we move forward, we can start to group things together nicely with the tools we have, and descriptions will start to become more obvious as to what you are about to install.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:13 pm

I've made a "template" of sorts for helping people create templates that are easily useable within the Community Content Browser. This zip file contains a folder structure only, and should be renamed as appropriate. Also, if you simply don't use a folder, feel free to delete it.

http://ogmods.antonriehl.com/downloads. ... mplate.zip

pdrum10

Post by pdrum10 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:19 pm

Is there an option to download all content at once?

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:22 pm

pdrum10 wrote:Is there an option to download all content at once?
No.
And with more and more content coming out, this would also not be a very useful option. Maybe in the future there will be mods that can be installed using the Content Browser but conflict with other mods, like the Flying Mod and the Blood Mod in the past.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:37 pm

So, I noticed that when I play a level with a calculated nav mesh, it works for 20 seconds after calculating the nav mesh and then comes with the not responding message. This has never happened to me before I used SUMLauncher 3.0.0

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:42 pm

Timbles wrote:So, I noticed that when I play a level with a calculated nav mesh, it works for 20 seconds after calculating the nav mesh and then comes with the not responding message. This has never happened to me before I used SUMLauncher 3.0.0
That sounds very bizarre. Are these on specific maps, or any map? Are you saving the Nav meshes after creating it, and are you saving the level after creating it? This might really be more appropriate to go to [email protected], depending on how many maps do this.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:54 pm

Anton wrote:
Timbles wrote:So, I noticed that when I play a level with a calculated nav mesh, it works for 20 seconds after calculating the nav mesh and then comes with the not responding message. This has never happened to me before I used SUMLauncher 3.0.0
That sounds very bizarre. Are these on specific maps, or any map? Are you saving the Nav meshes after creating it, and are you saving the level after creating it? This might really be more appropriate to go to [email protected], depending on how many maps do this.
Even weirder is that it only happens on Desert Bridge, Desert Bridge extended and the Oni's map; so everything related to Desert Bridge.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:02 pm

Timbles wrote:
Anton wrote:
Even weirder is that it only happens on Desert Bridge, Desert Bridge extended and the Oni's map; so everything related to Desert Bridge.
That nav mesh has some issues to begin with. There are some spots that aren't wide enough to let the characters pass through. I almost suggest not using the nav mesh on it... but still... very odd.

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:23 am

I think it would be useful if you could see how big a download is in the content browser before you install it.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:20 am

EPR89 wrote:I think it would be useful if you could see how big a download is in the content browser before you install it.
I agree, but there was some reason why we weren't able to implement it in this version. I think it had something to do with needing a server side script running that calculated the size, or something like that. Either that, or we have to manually update the size when we add the content. I do hope we can add it in the future though.

akazi

Post by akazi » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:03 pm

Hey I need the shielded_stands terrain textures.I did a fresh install of Overgrowth. For some reason when I install the unlocked default levels from the SUMlauncher, it doesn't seem to install the terrain textures.