Graphical options(?)

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Jimmy Jazz

Graphical options(?)

Post by Jimmy Jazz » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:47 pm

Hey, I recently came back after gutting my old tower and putting in some newer stuff. my old one couldn't run it faster than 4 FPS. But anyway, even though i have the new Rig Overgrowth occasionally lags pretty badly. usually just on complex levels and when the AI starts attacking me. like "Desert outpost" is a prime example for me. not only that but when I'm playing around with the editor the game will crash saying something along the lines of "Graphics card timed out" and it says if i turn down the graphics this won't happen. which leads me to the subject.

is there any way i can change the graphics? are there any options or anything? and on a side note; how well is the game going to be optimized in the future?

System info
Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 550 Ti
Ram: 4 gigabytes
Processor: Intel core 2 quad CPU 2.4 GHz

Korban3

Re: Graphical options(?)

Post by Korban3 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:54 am

You can raise the texture reduce and lower your resolution to improve the performance. SUMLauncher makes this stuff really easy for users, so I'd use that.
It will be fairly well optimized. David probably wants it to run on as many different machines as possible, so I imagine that he will spend quite a lot of time optimizing later. It may lead to a lot of boring Alphas and Betas, but the game will run better each time so I won't cry about it and neither will my crap laptop :lol:

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:23 am

Also right now a big bottleneck in the engine is the processor since the physics are quite un-optimized at this time. This may be more likely for you with an intel core 2. The physics are not very optimized yet, so when you have lots of characters, especially with ragdolls, your framerate can really suffer.

Can you test for me if your frame-rate jumps up much higher when you have slow motion on? (just press tab). if that is the case then it's definitely the processor that's your problem, not the graphics card.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:21 am

Yeah, that's how mine is.
Crap processor, thus slow speeds outside slo mo.
Crap GPU, thus slow speeds when the blood effects are engaged. And ooh does that really annoy me. I want to see them in all 60 FPS of their glory, but alas! 'Tis not to be!

12sea21

Post by 12sea21 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:24 am

Thank you for answering :D That happened to me as well and it worked well when in slow motion, but sometimes I just need to "load" stuff and after the first or second time it will run partially smoothly.

Phonicrazor

Post by Phonicrazor » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:22 am

Some community levels even lower my beast rig to mere 5 fps.
Dont know if its the engine or that its really that demanding game :?

Hd5970
I7 running 3.2
8 gig dominator running 1660 hrtz

Jimmy Jazz

Post by Jimmy Jazz » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:15 pm

Agh, turns out it is my CPU. thanks a lot Johannes. Also Korban, could you give us a link to the download for that? I am a little dubious when i Google SUMLauncher. might just be me being paranoid, but I did get a rather nasty virus recently so bare with me.

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:27 pm

Jimmy Jazz wrote:Agh, turns out it is my CPU. thanks a lot Johannes. Also Korban, could you give us a link to the download for that? I am a little dubious when i Google SUMLauncher. might just be me being paranoid, but I did get a rather nasty virus recently so bare with me.
The SUMLauncher is only available here on the forums, it's stickied at the top of the Secret Preorder Forum. (I'm one of its developers, so I can guarantee it's not a virus ;) )

alividlife

Post by alividlife » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:35 am

Could there be a way to possibly modify the slow motion effect so it's at a rough speed of 95 percent real-time or something? So that way I could play more of the player made levels or some of the stock ones?
Or would the engine still bottleneck on my CPU?

Some of the levels are .. sorta playable with the slow-motion effect.

Some levels will have my FPS drop to 1 FPS around many cluttered objects, which is a shame, because some of these player created levels look incredible.

I have a quad-core at 3.0
Nvidia GTX 280
8 Gigs of Ram.