Possible Revolver going to be added in further updates?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Arekan

Possible Revolver going to be added in further updates?

Post by Arekan » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:05 pm

I was browsing through the sound files, and I came across a Revolver.wav. I played it and it sounded like a gun, and I didn't put it there. Maybe its one of those files that are there for later development?
I think a gun would be cool personally, but not to overload the game with guns. It would make fights where somebody has a gun more stealth-like because Revolvers are pretty powerful. I don't know if the sound file was put there to trick people, but I just say it and thought I might mention.

Johannes

Re: Possible Revolver going to be added in further updates?

Post by Johannes » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:38 pm

Arekan wrote:I was browsing through the sound files, and I came across a Revolver.wav. I played it and it sounded like a gun, and I didn't put it there. Maybe its one of those files that are there for later development?
I think a gun would be cool personally, but not to overload the game with guns. It would make fights where somebody has a gun more stealth-like because Revolvers are pretty powerful. I don't know if the sound file was put there to trick people, but I just say it and thought I might mention.
Nah, there are no guns in the OG universe. That file is ancient:
It was probably for testing super early on in development, and was never removed.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:53 pm

That's what I'd say. Maybe it's a left over from AWOL?

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:41 am

Maybe David saw your mod coming in 2008 and wanted future you to one day give your laser gun a revolver sound.

Hexodious

Post by Hexodious » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:56 am

Maybe the final boss with be a Dog General wielding a Pistol? :?

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:07 pm

Jacktheawesome wrote:Maybe David saw your mod coming in 2008 and wanted future you to one day give your laser gun a revolver sound.
On which note, you should totally use that sound in the gun mod, it would come full circle.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:08 pm

I was thinking that. My gun isn't a pew pew kind of pussy gun. I'll give the sound a listen...
Sounds good to me! It will be used in the next update. I'm trying to figure out what to do for the next Dominance update. I've given Turner his appropriate clothes and added a gas mask, just for fun, with two color variants. I'll put that sound in and try to fix the camera oddities that are present, as well as update the mod to 167.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:10 pm

Looks like time-cop David was successful.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:27 pm

Speed reading and typing, geniusing on a regular basis? Time cop David is a boss.

JT`

Post by JT` » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:49 am

Revolvers, hayll no. Doesn't fit. Gonnes, well, maybe -- it fits with Chinese influences. Maybe as far as percussion pistols or arquebuses would still be interesting for mod levels or an optional branch of the storyline -- ideally of the degree where they're actually disposable rather than reloadable.

But in general, the features that make guns so useful is also what makes them so frustrating. There's a reason in real life that we use them: they can kill or incapacitate in a single shot. It's one thing to have bows, which have an obvious projectile travelling at 50 metres per second or less that you might be able to jump or dodge, versus having no say in the matter when the enemy hopes, points, and shoots and you either live or die in a single shot. In general they'd be great for challenge maps or stealth gameplay, but terrible for any major arc of a regular campaign.

There's a love-hate relationship, though. Let's take Mount & Blade for example, since it also has a period to uphold. Some people absolutely love the guns in M&B WFAS, or the 1866 mod. Some people hate the addition of guns and think they completely ruin the experience. Heck, I loved the pistols in Band of Warriors for the original Mount & Blade for the simple sake that they WERE hit and miss and it required me to use my gun tactically at close range rather than just spray and pray.

In short, used delicately and properly, guns would be neat. Sort of like N. But a revolver would just be overkill. Actually, also sort of like N.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:26 pm

Endo bait?

Nice post. There are definitely reason to include guns, but I feel personally that they are outweighed by the reasons to exclude them.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:32 pm

Endosignal.jpeg
Endosignal.jpeg (12.54 KiB) Viewed 1860 times

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:35 pm

:lol:
Still goin' strong.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:51 pm

That really is the best picture ever. Where did you even find it?

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:28 am

What is this? :lol: