Optimization Update

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
jspiegz

Optimization Update

Post by jspiegz » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:00 pm

Out of curiosity (To the Devs):

Is optimization a plan in a near update? One of my computers can BARELY run it.

Just curious.

Horridius

Re: Optimization Update

Post by Horridius » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:05 pm

jspiegz wrote:Out of curiosity (To the Devs):

Is optimization a plan in a near update? One of my computers can BARELY run it.

Just curious.
Probably not, optimizing now would be pointless. 2 alpha's later it might lag again. In this phase optimizing is not done, unless it's so extreme. Also keep in mind that the final game will also require a decent computer. You can't run a high-end game on a bad-mediocre computer. Even after optimization, don't forget that.

Kicktar

Post by Kicktar » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:36 pm

Well, mediocre computers might be able to run it, the Devs have expressed a desire to make it runnable on as many computers as possible.

Horridius

Post by Horridius » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:45 pm

Kicktar wrote:Well, mediocre computers might be able to run it, the Devs have expressed a desire to make it runnable on as many computers as possible.
Depends on how you define mediocre, it would be good that the game wouldn't require a high end pc but people shouldn't expect to be able to run it on a laptop with integrated intel graphics card. Such computers aren't meant for games.

jspiegz

Post by jspiegz » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:53 pm

Horridius wrote:
Kicktar wrote:Well, mediocre computers might be able to run it, the Devs have expressed a desire to make it runnable on as many computers as possible.
Depends on how you define mediocre, it would be good that the game wouldn't require a high end pc but people shouldn't expect to be able to run it on a laptop with integrated intel graphics card. Such computers aren't meant for games.

Darn :P I have a laptop with an Intel HD card.. I do play games like GMod, Portal 2, UT3 and CODMW2 works on it. I have a gaming rig as well (which currently runs it very well, but when it's just first starting, it lags a bit, and with many enemies lags also).

Anyway...

Eternalist

Post by Eternalist » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:29 pm

jspiegz wrote:Darn :P I have a laptop with an Intel HD card..
Intel cards aren't that bad...but I expect it to run

Shadowscales

Post by Shadowscales » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:03 pm

I actually think that the optimization is great!
No damn annoying CPU bottlenecks, the CPU is used appropriately and so is the GPU! :D

Horridius

Post by Horridius » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:30 am

Optimization will come, but first the core game features need to be implemented. Remember that you are playing an alpha, it's unfinished and obviously it has downsides.

Rumpullpus

Post by Rumpullpus » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:57 am

love the game so far but the lag does kill it for me a bit right now. i mean its hard enough to time your attacks right without the lag. i agree that i dont expect any head way in terms of optimization for quite a while but reducing the ragdoll lag would go a long LONG way.

Karel

Post by Karel » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:06 am

No, the optimization is clearly not good - you can't say that if your game runs at 60 FPS and then drops to 3 FPS just because you dropped a knife or because an enemy saw you.

That said, it's an alpha. So it's not so important.
But really, saying that the optimization okay as it is now ?! Fanboys nowadays...