Weather change?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
FuKuy

Weather change?

Post by FuKuy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:18 am

I've recently been playing Journey and all the desert sand and windy scenarios looks so awesome I thought that could be implemented on Overgrowth.

Is there any planned feature to include night-day transition, snow, rain, windy, etc.

Monkeyy

Re: Weather change?

Post by Monkeyy » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:19 am

Well there are currently maps with night skies and ones with day skies and snow maps and desert maps so it wouldn't surprise me if such things were in fact planned. I think that would be something that gets added later though.

Karel

Post by Karel » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:15 am

In one of the videos, david changes the position of the sun. There are night maps too. One is in the game by default, and some custom maps are set during the night.

DemonicDaemon

Post by DemonicDaemon » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:06 pm

if OG is open world they will need a day/night cycle but if they go with the levels like Lugaru (and what they are doing now), they will probably just have day levels and night levels

moomoohk

Post by moomoohk » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:38 am

DemonicDaemon wrote:if OG is open world they will need a day/night cycle but if they go with the levels like Lugaru (and what they are doing now), they will probably just have day levels and night levels
OG is never gonna be open world. Even when optimized, it'll probably axe murder your computer and it's family.
I guess a day/night cycle would be still be nice in places like villages where you'll be spending lots of time. I wouldn't feel comfortable if it would be day every time I went there. Day/night could also add some pretty cool elements to the game like time restricted missions (like assassination stuff could only be done when it's night or something).

As for moving the sun: That's a feature in the editor. Double click the sun to move it around, spin the ring around it to change it's color. You can make pretty cool and surreal scenes.

CJAwesome

Post by CJAwesome » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:00 am

When you're in edit mode, up the top when you click on the first Don't use these yet tab, it says day/night toggle. But obviously I wouldn't use it.

moomoohk

Post by moomoohk » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:26 pm

CJAwesome wrote:When you're in edit mode, up the top when you click on the first Don't use these yet tab, it says day/night toggle. But obviously I wouldn't use it.
I never noticed that! I'm totally using it to see what happens (probably nothing)

MagnusM1

Post by MagnusM1 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:26 am

Some simple wind-effects would be nice. It would be cool if it looked like in Wind Waker, and I think it fits the game well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... oTE#t=303s

sammyrye

Post by sammyrye » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:34 am

I think if you could just do a simple script to change the sun elevation you'd already have a pretty decent day to night transition. I'm sure a skybox change could be done too, so you could have a starry night sky. Not sure if this can be done yet by a modder, I don't know if that stuff can be scripted (yet).

I LOVE weather effects in games, it adds so much.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:41 pm

MagnusM1 wrote:Some simple wind-effects would be nice. It would be cool if it looked like in Wind Waker, and I think it fits the game well.
ಠ_ಠ

But that's so bland, sharp and straight cartoony! Surely you believe we could do far, far better than that?

chillychili

Post by chillychili » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:19 pm

Rain would be really awesome. When playing RDR I could just listen to the rain and thunder without playing, for a while. I would really enjoy it in Overgrowth. Especially when sneaking up on someone with a knife :3

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:36 pm

Day/night transition is impossible to mod in in the game's current state as there is no way to control the sun at the moment as far as I know. I don't think you can control the skybox texture from the scripting system either, and you certainly can't fade from one sky texture to another!

It also wouldn't be practical since OG uses static lighting to work on older computers. If there was a dynamic day/night transition, that would mean dynamic shadows and throwing away that performance gain from static shadows and thus locking out some players from the levels with day/night transitions.

Another argument against it would be that you'll probably never spend much more time than 20 minutes on a level at most. The sun in real life does not have time to change noticeably during that time, and since Overgrowth is going for a believable world, it'd feel weird to me if it for some reason had like 20 minute days.

I'm pretty sure weather will be implemented, I recall them writing a bit about it. I'd love playing in a level with lightning and where the rain is pouring down as well. Weather should be able to be dynamic though as that's a matter of controlling particles, sound and changing in shaders, all those things can be controlled during runtime without much performance loss.

For sand flying in the wind, I think they use models for their flying snow from the ground in Skyrim for instance (or they totally failed because it clearly looks like models), so doing something similar for Overgrowth is probably possible in the current state of the game.

When the scripting is a bit more extended to allow for controlling animations of objects as well as their rotation, position, scale and such things, it should be possible to have some sand effect model be affected by the wind direction and speed in the game to produce some convincing effects.

ODSTFreak98

Post by ODSTFreak98 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:26 am

What would amaze me is that if they added rain, the rain was dynamic and could read surfaces (like Minecraft's), so if you made a village, and some of the houses are open and explorable, the rain wouldn't phase through their roofs and walls. Perhaps a "Bake Rain Hit-maps" button would work?
Last edited by ODSTFreak98 on Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:41 am

ODSTFreak98 wrote:What would amaze me is that if they added rain, the rain was dynamic and could read surfaces (like Minecrafts), so if you made a village, and some of the houses are open and explorable, the rain wouldn't phase through their roofs and walls. Perhaps a "Bake Rain Hit-maps" button would work?
That would be totally sweet.