My Suggestion

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Jimmitheking

My Suggestion

Post by Jimmitheking » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:17 pm

Hello!
Yea i'm new to the forum, and i know i did complain about the price just yesterday.
I did'nt find a suggestion thread/forum, so i'm gonna put mine here.
So yea, i'm sure lot of people tought about it...
What i think is that ranged weapons would be nice.
I'm not just throwing that in, i have some ideas and i think i'm posting that in a good momentum since the devs are currently working on weapons.

About ranged weapons; A bow and arrow would be too.. Simple. I mean i sure see it fit some races, since (i think) most of them in the game universe are quite primitives....
But for good o'l Turner, i think a nice ninja-like ranged weapons would be some kind of cool crossbow.
Like i'm sure the artist (dunno its name, shame on me cauz he's amazing at drawing and all this) would draw some awesome crossbow arts, i dont think anyone has to propose details....
Also, for throwing weapons shurikens and other deversativ (dunno the word, bad english) would looks awesome in the hands of Turner...
Anyway, feel free to give your own ideas 'bout ranged weapons or anything else (concerning weapon *cough* i mean...)

Son of Sven

Re: My Suggestion

Post by Son of Sven » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:46 pm

There is already a page for suggestions, you might have to scroll down a bit, or it might be on the next page. Throwing weapons like shurikens would work the same as the knives that are already in Overgrowth, so there's not much point to adding them. Crossbows would be nigh on impossible to aim with the third person view and even if you could aim them they would be way to OP.

Zelron

Post by Zelron » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:11 pm

The main focus of the game is melee combat...and parkour I guess. Ranged weapons would kind of defeat this purpose, as well as likely be majorly OP.
As sven said before me, you can already throw any weapon you're carrying. This is different than using a ranged weapon, because it is a desperate attack. You no longer have a weapon, if you miss your enemy will just run over and take it then you'll be worse off, or if you are fighting more than one enemy the second one will just take the weapon out of their friends body and use it against you, heartless rabbit bastards they are.
Being that the combat focus is more specificly on unarmed combat rather than the weapons, most of the weapons are instant kills. This extending to a ranged weapons would make things far too easy. An example of this would be Assassin's creed. After you got the crossbow, it was just over.
This of course leads to the argument that they simply have reduced damage so they won't be super unbalenced. Then they become rather useless. As if you do hit an enemy, they will bolt toward you in the light speed they do, and by the time you've "sheathed" or droped or whatever you need to do with your crossbow to free your hands for close combat, they've already kicked your head in.

zzwerty

Post by zzwerty » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:58 am

Jimmitheking wrote:i'm sure lot of people tought about it...
What i think is that ranged weapons would be nice.
Well assuming you mean thought and not taught, you are right. All you need to do is search 'Ranged Weapons' and you'll no doubt find 25 posts explaining why ranged weapons would probably be hard to fit in and still keep the gameplay balanced.

Timbabwe

Post by Timbabwe » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:56 am

I wouldn't mind shurikens, being a fairly potent ranged weapon (don't want it being too OP) at the trade off of being a pretty weak melee weapon, and possibly not being able to be sheathed.
That said, I probably would save it for a mod.

Noz

Post by Noz » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:15 am

Okay, there are at least 4 other ranged weapon threads. Just search for stuff like this.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:16 am

Timbabwe wrote:I wouldn't mind shurikens, being a fairly potent ranged weapon (don't want it being too OP) at the trade off of being a pretty weak melee weapon, and possibly not being able to be sheathed.
There has already been at least one mod with shuriken!

Timbabwe

Post by Timbabwe » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:16 am

Anton wrote:
Timbabwe wrote:I wouldn't mind shurikens, being a fairly potent ranged weapon (don't want it being too OP) at the trade off of being a pretty weak melee weapon, and possibly not being able to be sheathed.
There has already been at least one mod with shuriken!
Oh, thanks. I never check the modding forum.

Jimmitheking

Post by Jimmitheking » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:53 pm

hey, thanks all to post replys!
Yea well, i kind of threw it like that, it was kinda late (maybe 1 am) and i was like "Oh that would be awesome!" but yea, indeed the game is based on melee.
But well, thats for now. We must not forget the game is very early in alpha, and that lot of things may change in the future, so maybe ranged weapons will be a possibility in the far future of OG.
And yea i'm sorry for the lack of research, dont be so rude, like i said i was very tired the night i wrote this :D
Anyway, you guys have a nice day now.