What do you want to be implemented in the next build?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Endoperez

Re: What do you want to be implemented in the next build?

Post by Endoperez » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:01 pm

I can't find a source for it, but I've read somewhere that all mammals that exist are antropomorphs in Lugaru/Overgrowth world.

syamada37

Post by syamada37 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:56 pm

I want to be able to climb trees!

Skofo

Post by Skofo » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:30 pm

I want said shader fallback path :)

arenter

Post by arenter » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:39 am

Ya know how when you roll in mid air, and when you stuff it it makes you go ragdoll. Or when something gets knocked out? Well it'd be cool if when you fell in ragdoll there was blood from the fall

Sl33pyt1m3

Post by Sl33pyt1m3 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:26 pm

Maybe work on the animations a little, some just seem off (like the running animation). But then again this is an alpha stage so anything can change.

syamada37

Post by syamada37 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:18 pm

A display showing your health and a mini-map showing where different enemies are and stuff. Thx!

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:14 am

syamada37 wrote:A display showing your health and a mini-map showing where different enemies are and stuff. Thx!
There is a mod that has both these things. You can find it in the blood mod, along with some other great settings. However, part of the appeal of Lugaru that is being carried over into Overgrowth is the lack of a UI. You will get visual cues from the way the character behaves as to how beat up he is. There is already some of those animations now, like when you get cut by a blade.

turtlemilk

Post by turtlemilk » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:27 pm

LAN Multiplayer.

ThreadedPanda8

Post by ThreadedPanda8 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:28 pm

Some sorta rope or trapeze line mechanism for additional ways of traversing the worlds!!! just a thought!!! Oh, and obviously some sorta burrowing technique where digging underground was accessible...but not extravagantly. just some sorta distraction technique ...like digging under an enemy and pulling them under for a kill!

hoohoo4

Post by hoohoo4 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:42 pm

Grappling hooks or Multiplayer. Either one, take your pick.

VoidHonour

Post by VoidHonour » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:44 am

I want a cutting system, that allows you to cut off body parts with unblocked weapon attacks. I realize it's a HUGE coding job, but I was thinking something along the lines of MGS:R's cutting system. Ideally, this would allow you to not just cut specific body parts off, but also cut free-hand (so you would be able to cut directly down the middle, or from shoulder to waist, but also cut off specific parts like a hand or head).

Multiplayer would also be cool, but most environments aren't really at the stage to accommodate strategic PvP, and would be far too easy just with another player helping with objectives.

A wider variety of equipment, like bows (accurate, but not lethal unless you hit a vital area) and armour classes would help to flesh out distinctive play styles.

My final feature would be better stealth mechanics, like the ability to steal the outfits of downed enemies to sneak past guards, holding guards in choke holds to make attackers less carefree about swiping at you, and a SERIOUS NERF to the leg cannon; I try to avoid using it, but any fight can be won easily by jumping a couple of feet in the air, and using the leg cannon to do ridiculous damage to enemies. In Lugaru, trying to jump away from most attackers would result in you being plucked from the air and smashing hard into the ground. I'd love to see that making a return.

arenter

Post by arenter » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:03 am

WATER WATER WATER WATER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Semel

Post by Semel » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:12 am

Water, one of the most requested additions for Overgrowth and the Phoenix engine, after much thought I realised that all the mechanics of implementing water in the game is already in the game.

There are a few assumptions that would need to be made to make this work:
1 - Noone wants to fight in deep water, it’s too much of a disadvantage to both combatants.
2 - None of the animals can swim.
3 - Boats, where they exist, are static prop items and cannot be used to travel on the water.

The main feature that would make a simplified form of water playable in the game is taken from the collision detection implemented for vegetation (http://youtu.be/Hy6T28-fsJM). When trying to move through a bush, Turner is forced to slow down (see 1:00 in the video), but only if he tries to go too deeply into the bush, see collision ellipsoids. Also when he’s running across the snow at 1:28 his footfalls kick up a snow particle effect. With both these already coded systems it should be possible to create a detail texture that slows the character down based on how the surface plane of the water intersects with the collision ellipsoid (shown in red in the image below).
Semel's Implementation of Water
Semel's Implementation of Water
WaterLevels.png (138.92 KiB) Viewed 1911 times
Zone 1 would have no slowdown effect on movement or combat, you would get the splash particle effect at footfalls. Zone 2 would force you to a walk but you can still have combat based on the upper body only (punches and the like, no kicks or throws), jumping and crouching is allowed. Zone 3 restricts movement to walking, no combat and no crouching or jumping and zone 4 is death to bunnies as they can’t swim! Zones 2 & 3 could be combined to save extra programming but zones 1 & 4 effectively already exist!

The only extra coding that I see being required is for animated normal maps as animated textures already exist (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKc4c56TVLc)!

As you can tell I’m an artist not a programmer, so although this all seems relatively straightforward, it’s probably super difficult in some obscure way! My 2-pence (yes, I’m English) anyway! :)

Semel.

Edit: Added a link for animated textures.
Last edited by Semel on Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jaz
Location: Earth, Near The Sun, Milky Way, Universe, Time Loop

Post by Jaz » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:19 am

Interesting Semel.

But you're English. Obviously your information is totally il-legit. If that post had come from a Welsh genius, might have been a different story. 8)

(For your information, your theory is very well written)

MasterMorality

Post by MasterMorality » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:02 am

VoidHonour wrote:I want a cutting system, that allows you to cut off body parts with unblocked weapon attacks. I realize it's a HUGE coding job, but I was thinking something along the lines of MGS:R's cutting system. Ideally, this would allow you to not just cut specific body parts off, but also cut free-hand (so you would be able to cut directly down the middle, or from shoulder to waist, but also cut off specific parts like a hand or head).

Multiplayer would also be cool, but most environments aren't really at the stage to accommodate strategic PvP, and would be far too easy just with another player helping with objectives.

A wider variety of equipment, like bows (accurate, but not lethal unless you hit a vital area) and armour classes would help to flesh out distinctive play styles.

My final feature would be better stealth mechanics, like the ability to steal the outfits of downed enemies to sneak past guards, holding guards in choke holds to make attackers less carefree about swiping at you, and a SERIOUS NERF to the leg cannon; I try to avoid using it, but any fight can be won easily by jumping a couple of feet in the air, and using the leg cannon to do ridiculous damage to enemies. In Lugaru, trying to jump away from most attackers would result in you being plucked from the air and smashing hard into the ground. I'd love to see that making a return.

You want half a game completed in a week?