Some Observations

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Van

Some Observations

Post by Van » Thu May 24, 2012 11:29 am

Hello, I've noticed that when playing as a wolf/bear, that when you sheathe a weapon and pick up a hammer it holds it upside down, and when going into a fighting stance with the rapier it drops down below the hand and hovers, also I've noticed there isn't a button to hold down block.

How do you grab enemies, how do you snap their necks?
This is only an alpha I understand that, but these are just things I've noticed.

Zelron

Re: Some Observations

Post by Zelron » Thu May 24, 2012 12:30 pm

Wolves are physically larger than the rabbits, but use their rigging skeleton. Thus some of the animations just don't line up.
You can't use turtle defence. The right click is an active block. Press it just as your enemy attacks and you will block them. If you hold it there is a chance you with throw them over your shoulder after the block.
To get a choke hold on an enemy you must get behind them undetected and hold right mouse. There is no neck snapping. Also this isn't easy to do as the AI will almost always spot you when you get near them.

Van

Post by Van » Thu May 24, 2012 7:44 pm

Oh okay, I've seen videos of people snapping the necks though.
Thanks for the information

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Thu May 24, 2012 10:36 pm

If I may interject, what you thought was neck snapping is really more of neck slicing. You can sneak up and take a hostage while holding a knife too, except instead of a sleeper hold (any martial arts people call me out here) you hold them with one hand, and threaten them with a knife with the other. You can press left click to slice their neck, which does seem to make a rather crunchy, snappy sound at the moment.

Van

Post by Van » Fri May 25, 2012 12:38 am

Ah okay, yeah I guess I just heard that sound and thought it was a neck snap
Is there a button to crouch or sneak, or is that going to implemented soon?

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Fri May 25, 2012 12:43 am

There is, and has been for a while. Holding shift makes the character crouch, while pressing it midair makes the character flip. You do move a lot slower when you sneak, so it's usually best to sneak for part of the way, and then just run the last bit to the enemy when you want to stealth-attack them. They have a short window between noticing you and gathering their wits where they are still susceptible to stealth attacks.

Zelron

Post by Zelron » Fri May 25, 2012 1:30 am

Jacktheawesome wrote:Holding shift makes the character crouch, while pressing it midair makes the character flip.
Not exactly wrong, but not techniclly correct. I wouldn't normally be such a stickler for detail but when you explain something new to someone totally ignorant of the subject you should be as precise as posible.Dear god does that sound pretentious
If you press shift while moving in any direction (including vertical) you will roll. You only crouch when you hold the shift key while stopped. So make sure you crouch well before you get to someone or else you'll just bash your head on their shins.
Jacktheawesome wrote:it's usually best to sneak for part of the way, and then just run the last bit to the enemy when you want to stealth-attack them.
Another tactic, if you have the aim, is to do a "hot drop" grab. Where basicly you jump and land right behind them. Then you grab them before they can react.
It's a great way to take out lone guards if you can learn to control the range of jumps.

Hibbe

Post by Hibbe » Fri May 25, 2012 6:06 am

You can find all player controls at http://wiki.wolfire.com/index.php/Playe ... r_Controls

Blocking is about timing, play the introduction level of lugaru and you will understand what it's about.

Van

Post by Van » Fri May 25, 2012 6:59 am

Cheers, Glad I pre-ordered this, it has a lot of potential

Zelron

Post by Zelron » Fri May 25, 2012 12:56 pm

Van wrote:Cheers, Glad I pre-ordered this, it has a lot of potential
I'm glad someone finally gets it. :wink:

Jaz
Location: Earth, Near The Sun, Milky Way, Universe, Time Loop

Post by Jaz » Fri May 25, 2012 1:04 pm

Van wrote:Ah okay, yeah I guess I just heard that sound and thought it was a neck snap
There was a massive debate concerning neck twisting with methods shown in many games. Of course, none of us have tried it because we're not murderers, but considering all biological and psychological evidence concerning the tensing of the muscles, it would be theoretically impossible to twist a neck apart. The neck is exceptionally tough once the muscles are tensed, and for those with quick reflexes, those muscles will tense extremely quickly. Of course, if Wolfire implement stat variation in enemies so that some are less protective than others, it might work. But it would probably be too much work for the developers. Plus who would recruit a soldier that has no reflexes?

Anyway, choking is possible.

There would also theoretically be an actual way to snap someone's neck but it may be too much work for animators.
The muscles in the neck are tensed following a nervous signal from the central nerve running down directly from your head through your spine. If you grabbed someone by the neck quickly then kneed them in the back and punched them in the stomach to cause them to bend over, you could grab the front of their head and pull their head backwards while kneeling on their back, thus causing the nerves to falter and soon twist back and eventually the neck bones would relent and snap. With enough strength and enough agility, this would be a way to actually snap someone's neck and would be more reliable than other methods theorised. However, as I said, it could be difficult for animators.
Also, if any professional martial artists with biological knowledge wish to point out any flaws in my theorised attack move, please feel free.

Additionally, there are other methods available to snap necks. A lot of them are totally ridiculous and would be biologically impossible considering the speed that the average person's muscles tense up, as well as having missed out the strength of the average person's bone structure, but some may be more reliable and more accurate than the above theoretical method I provided.
Again though, the theoretical method of grabbing someone's neck and twisting it sideways would NOT WORK in practical situations. The only way it would work would be if you pretended to be someone's friend and asked them to relax their muscles themselves. Otherwise, nobody's unprotective enough to ignore a stranger grabbing them by the neck from behind.

And yes, the game has a lot of potential. When it's complete and stable, it will likely be quite exceptional.

human_dictionary
Location: united states of the united kingdom of teletubbyland

Post by human_dictionary » Fri May 25, 2012 1:42 pm

Jaz wrote:
Van wrote:Ah okay, yeah I guess I just heard that sound and thought it was a neck snap
With enough strength and enough agility, this would be a way to actually snap someone's neck and would be more reliable than other methods theorised.
hm, lets test that, jacktheawesome! come here!

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Fri May 25, 2012 1:52 pm

Zelron wrote:
Jacktheawesome wrote:Holding shift makes the character crouch, while pressing it midair makes the character flip.
Not exactly wrong, but not techniclly correct. I wouldn't normally be such a stickler for detail but when you explain something new to someone totally ignorant of the subject you should be as precise as posible.Dear god does that sound pretentious
If you press shift while moving in any direction (including vertical) you will roll. You only crouch when you hold the shift key while stopped. So make sure you crouch well before you get to someone or else you'll just bash your head on their shins.
Jacktheawesome wrote:it's usually best to sneak for part of the way, and then just run the last bit to the enemy when you want to stealth-attack them.
Another tactic, if you have the aim, is to do a "hot drop" grab. Where basicly you jump and land right behind them. Then you grab them before they can react.
It's a great way to take out lone guards if you can learn to control the range of jumps.
True, true, good clarification.
human_dictionary wrote:
Jaz wrote:
With enough strength and enough agility, this would be a way to actually snap someone's neck and would be more reliable than other methods theorised.
hm, lets test that, jacktheawesome! come here!
:|

Van

Post by Van » Fri May 25, 2012 7:52 pm

Ahhh! an active community! awesome!!

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Fri May 25, 2012 7:58 pm

Oh yes. Very active. This place has really filled up in the last few months. See modding for awesome stuff. That's where all the smart modders and mappers gather.