Unofficial Overgrowth a180, weekly build

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
bzar

Re: Unofficial Overgrowth a180, weekly build

Post by bzar » Wed May 30, 2012 2:19 pm

PLEASE make the linux installer --target option use a subdirectory of the specified directory as the working directory. :|

I did the mistake of pointing the target to my general temp dir in my home directory. When I noticed the installer started chowning my other files I knew something was off. I immediately ctrl-c'd to stop the script before it did something nasty only to see "cleaning up" pop up. There went my temp files :cry:. Luckily nothing of real value was lost, but I can see there being a case that turns up less fortunately.

Easily avoided. Make a directory inside the target dir, only do stuff there.

Otherwise, awesome to finally get a linux build :)

learn_more

Post by learn_more » Wed May 30, 2012 7:08 pm

uhh, what is lost on temp files?
afterall, it are temp files :mrgreen:

Ezzz

Post by Ezzz » Wed May 30, 2012 9:11 pm

On alpha 180 for Overgrowth whenever I try to load any map it always gets to "loading all data in advance" and then quits. I have also tried 178 and 179, both had the same problem with crashing when loading a map. i have a mac with a 2.66 GHz intel core 2 duo processor and an NVIDIA GeForce 9400 graphics chip. does anyone know the problem or a solution?

TurtleKing

Post by TurtleKing » Thu May 31, 2012 12:59 am

Overgrowth: Alpha 180 (Linux)

Operating System: Kubuntu 12.04 64bit

Graphics Card: Nvidia 8600 GTS

Result: Everything runs smoothly with the exception of loading items.
It says something about needing an update (I will test again tomorrow for more details).

bakkaa

Post by bakkaa » Thu May 31, 2012 2:11 pm

some levels and objects cause a game crash

system information:
nvidia geforce gt 440
vista home premium
Pentium dual core cpu e5200 2.50 ghz

bzar

Post by bzar » Thu May 31, 2012 2:43 pm

learn_more wrote:uhh, what is lost on temp files?
afterall, it are temp files :mrgreen:
I was lucky to only lose temp files. The current installer is not safe if you need to set a custom extraction target because of space limitations in /tmp. This issue would be fixed by making the installer only muck around in a directory it creates for itself inside the designated target directory.

EDIT: Also, note that the installer in my case was not pointing in /tmp, but a more general purpose temp dir inside my home dir I use for compiling random stuff to try and such.

monstercameron

Post by monstercameron » Thu May 31, 2012 4:51 pm

my keyboard and mouse is stuck controls are glitched, they move the model and camera by it self -its not a hardware problem as this only happens in OGA- maybe there is some cache file or config file that deleting them cant rectify this -as it seems lately thats the only problem with the games i play.

damhka

Post by damhka » Thu May 31, 2012 7:09 pm

Game crashes when loading item "Arena" on any level

Have emailed a bug report including dmp and hwreport. Anyone else having this?

akazi

Post by akazi » Thu May 31, 2012 10:31 pm

damhka wrote:Game crashes when loading item "Arena" on any level

Have emailed a bug report including dmp and hwreport. Anyone else having this?
oh yes I think everyone has this problem, I think the problem has been here since.. two alphas ago i think. I tried to load t on my brothers pc (which is way faster then mine) and the game crashes on his too.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:10 pm

monstercameron wrote:my keyboard and mouse is stuck controls are glitched, they move the model and camera by it self -its not a hardware problem as this only happens in OGA- maybe there is some cache file or config file that deleting them cant rectify this -as it seems lately thats the only problem with the games i play.
Do you have a controller, joystick, or any other alternate input devices connected (even a tablet?). Those can be causing a problem like this.

Lenz

Post by Lenz » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:49 pm

akazi wrote:
Froyok wrote:I just tried this update with a fresh new install.
I get a lot of error about the automatic texture conversion
I'm on windows and I have download the installer with the torrent.

Very strange.
Some maps won't load at all (the game quit).

Screenshots :
Image Image Image

[EDIT] Installed it 2 times again, I still got these errors.
I get those errors too, but i can still play levels.
This is happening to me for most of the maps and usually ends with a file not loading correctly and the game force closing. Is this a normal issue or a new bug?

Using windows version with SUMlauncher

urkle

Post by urkle » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:04 pm

bzar wrote:PLEASE make the linux installer --target option use a subdirectory of the specified directory as the working directory. :|

I did the mistake of pointing the target to my general temp dir in my home directory. When I noticed the installer started chowning my other files I knew something was off. I immediately ctrl-c'd to stop the script before it did something nasty only to see "cleaning up" pop up. There went my temp files :cry:. Luckily nothing of real value was lost, but I can see there being a case that turns up less fortunately.

Easily avoided. Make a directory inside the target dir, only do stuff there.

Otherwise, awesome to finally get a linux build :)
Thanks for bringing this to my attention.. This is definitely a BAD thing. and the instructions are not quite as clear as I thought they were on the installer.. I will be patching up the installer code to handle this significantly better. (partially my fault as I changed a setting to have it remove the target folder if --target was passed in, where as before it would keep it there).

urkle

Post by urkle » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:16 am

bzar wrote:PLEASE make the linux installer --target option use a subdirectory of the specified directory as the working directory. :|
:)
I spent the night last night reworking the blasted installer to fix this issue. It now correctly will create a subdirectory if you pass an existing directory to --target. If you pass a non-existing directory it will just use that. Also the installer packaging was redone a little so that the blasted installer doesn't need so much space in /tmp.. Basically I cut the needed space by half!! (which also improves the installer startup-speed). The updated installer is in the hands of Jeff now so the next alpha will have a much improved install experience.

charcoalrox

Post by charcoalrox » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:24 am

ChickenCopter wrote:Just a thing i noticed watching the end of the video, why is it so impossible to defeat a person when they have a weapon to when they don't? For example, you can kick a rabbit down usually with one or more strong kicks, but you give the enemy a knife and then suddenly they are impossible to knock over!
It's either a glitch or it's supposed to be because people change their stance when holding weapons.

TurtleKing

Post by TurtleKing » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:31 pm

(Kubuntu 12.04 64bit & Nvidia 8600 GTS (may upgrade video card soon))
More detailed problem:
When trying to load an item from O2 or Object:
Nav mesh needs update
Baked shadow needs update
Ambient Occlusion needs update.