A more humane approach.

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Devilsclub

Re: A more humane approach.

Post by Devilsclub » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:49 am

Korban3 wrote:I would say that having confidence and aggression be random is a poor design choice. Making things random is actually one of my most hated things in games. There is a time for it, but core gameplay features isn't it.
It's like, let's say you are playing a game in which your goal is to walk through a house and off the balcony railing, killing yourself in order to win. Now, you can't just die in this game, to win. It has to be by falling off the balcony.
Now, if the game has some non-random everythings, it will seem stale if you play it a couple times, with nothing changing. So, as dev, I add in a random chance, say 38%, that opening a door will trigger a trap that impales you through your virtual arse, killing you in a lose-game scenario.
Is it fair?
There should be some logical, clear and concise reason that the trap is there and that it killed you. Otherwise, the game becomes muddy. It also gives room to make the concerned feature deeper and more immersive.
In a Lugaru/Overgrowth scenario, a group of Raiders 5 strong would be pretty confident, and relatively aggressive. If Turner jumps into the middle of their camp, and punches one in the throat, collapsing his windpipe and killing him almost instantly, the rest will be less confident and more aggressive. You could muddy it up by randomizing the effect, but that may confuse the player.
You could carry on this way for a while until you round out the scenario, allowing the AI to be logical, clear and intentional in the way it presents itself to the player. If the play sees an enemy retreat, it's because a set of stimuli were fulfilled that the player is already or able to become fully aware of.
[/pseudo-rant]
Yer Pink Beard Is On Wrong, me latti.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:34 pm

I don't think so ;D

Devilsclub

Post by Devilsclub » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:52 am

Korban3 wrote:I don't think so ;D
Arrgh, me latey, le bearrrd needz tuh be original.
A poni stuck to yer beard is naut original.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:47 pm

Arr, I be willin' ter contest that. I be thinkin' ter meself that I be original in me use o' the coked up, pink thing. T'isn't another soul on this 'ere vessel be possessin' a beard loik mine.

Devilsclub

Post by Devilsclub » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:13 pm

Korban3 wrote:Arr, I be willin' ter contest that. I be thinkin' ter meself that I be original in me use o' the coked up, pink thing. T'isn't another soul on this 'ere vessel be possessin' a beard loik mine.
Arr, thats what me be sayin' me latey. Yer just a tad bit ol' in the head havin' a poneh on yo face.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:57 pm

Well, what ye be plannin' ter do about it, arr? I be right prepared ter skin yer yeller hide clean from yer bones, if it's a fight ye be wantin'.

Devilsclub

Post by Devilsclub » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:43 am

Korban3 wrote:Well, what ye be plannin' ter do about it, arr? I be right prepared ter skin yer yeller hide clean from yer bones, if it's a fight ye be wantin'.
Bring it :lol:

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:41 pm

Arr, it be lookin' something loik this here scene from some up and comin' videuh game. Whatever in Davey Jones locker that be.

Devilsclub

Post by Devilsclub » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:32 pm

Korban3 wrote:Arr, it be lookin' something loik this here scene from some up and comin' videuh game. Whatever in Davey Jones locker that be.
It'rr be mor rowdier than this, me Iaddy,

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:36 am

"...I'm ever so certain I don't speak that ghastly taco language of yours."

Devilsclub

Post by Devilsclub » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:58 pm

Korban3 wrote:"...I'm ever so certain I don't speak that ghastly taco language of yours."
Arr, this be the rabbit pirate language to make rabbits mor humane.

Back to topic everyone! :lol:

Devilsclub

Post by Devilsclub » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:00 pm

Korban3 wrote:In a Lugaru/Overgrowth scenario, a group of Raiders 5 strong would be pretty confident, and relatively aggressive. If Turner jumps into the middle of their camp, and punches one in the throat, collapsing his windpipe and killing him almost instantly, the rest will be less confident and more aggressive. You could muddy it up by randomizing the effect, but that may confuse the player.
You could carry on this way for a while until you round out the scenario, allowing the AI to be logical, clear and intentional in the way it presents itself to the player. If the play sees an enemy retreat, it's because a set of stimuli were fulfilled that the player is already or able to become fully aware of.
[/pseudo-rant]
It wont really confuse the player, because thats how it happens in real life. The raiders will be more aggresive and some may even just run blankly into the horizon or something.
[Pseudo-rant] IDK what this means [/pseudo-rant]

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:37 pm

Meh, personal preference. I'm not a big fan of randomizing since it is often not fair and there are often better alternatives.

Devilsclub

Post by Devilsclub » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:16 am

BUMPing it up for more views :mrgreen:

Devilsclub

Post by Devilsclub » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:00 am

BUMP?