A more humane approach.

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Devilsclub

A more humane approach.

Post by Devilsclub » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:53 pm

In the Overgrowth Alpha 180 preview video towards the end i noticed turner killing 2 of the rabbits with a knife and then gets killed by the third one. After which the third rabbit just randomly walks away.
My suggestion is that after killing turner or after turner runs away, the rabbit can go and just check the other's bodies, how he was hurt. Kind of like trying to figure out our attack tactics so the next time we meet them they are familiar with our attacks. This wont be applicable if we are dead but still he can go check if they are just conscious and not dead yet.
This would be a more humane approach to overgrowth, and im not sure if it would be appropriate but, let the criticism ensue :mrgreen:

Master XOY99

Re: A more humane approach.

Post by Master XOY99 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:05 am

Devilsclub wrote:In the Overgrowth Alpha 180 preview video towards the end i noticed turner killing 2 of the rabbits with a knife and then gets killed by the third one. After which the third rabbit just randomly walks away.
My suggestion is that after killing turner or after turner runs away, the rabbit can go and just check the other's bodies, how he was hurt. Kind of like trying to figure out our attack tactics so the next time we meet them they are familiar with our attacks. This wont be applicable if we are dead but still he can go check if they are just conscious and not dead yet.
This would be a more humane approach to overgrowth, and im not sure if it would be appropriate but, let the criticism ensue :mrgreen:
LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!

Parco Folgore

Post by Parco Folgore » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:15 pm

Genius, nice idea.

Rhaedas

Post by Rhaedas » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:20 pm

Good idea. Taking it further, different AI can react differently. Some go examine the dead as you said, Some go on an alert, looking around for more enemies. Some run off, presumably for help. And maybe some of this is already in the AI scripting, like when they find a body that Turner just killed. Just needs to be carried to the death scene, so they don't seem mindless zombies.

Devilsclub

Post by Devilsclub » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:38 pm

Rhaedas wrote:Good idea. Taking it further, different AI can react differently. Some go examine the dead as you said, Some go on an alert, looking around for more enemies. Some run off, presumably for help. And maybe some of this is already in the AI scripting, like when they find a body that Turner just killed. Just needs to be carried to the death scene, so they don't seem mindless zombies.
A mindless zombie cant kill turner, thats for sure :P
Another thing is that when they see a dead body they become alert, just like in lugaru 1.
But what confuses me is that they have in mind that there is only one enemy. So after killing turner they are like "yay no more war!". They should scout out for more enemies or maybe just inspect our body in the few seconds of blackout that wee see :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thanks for the positive comments

zzwerty

Post by zzwerty » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:11 am

This is a great idea. I think I saw the same sort of thing discussed before sometimes. It is a problem in lots of games. I always remember as a kid playing Rayman 2 and wondering why the pirates just stood there after shooting you. I mean, they've been trying to re-capture you for ages, you've been ruining their plans, wouldn't they be in a even a remotely celebratory mood?

I think it would be great that as well as this if two enemy guards were in close proximity they may engage in conversation (Not in sound, in gestures and movements) or be cleaning their blade or something. In missions there could be specially programmed rabbits who would be searching for something or washing clothes etc. Just to make it seem like the world is more alive and add to the immersion.

Devilsclub

Post by Devilsclub » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:37 am

zzwerty wrote:I think it would be great that as well as this if two enemy guards were in close proximity they may engage in conversation (Not in sound, in gestures and movements) or be cleaning their blade or something. In missions there could be specially programmed rabbits who would be searching for something or washing clothes etc. Just to make it seem like the world is more alive and add to the immersion.
Yeah, like when they patrol a certain area they can make rabbit noises. But not every time. Makes it kinda.. wierd :oops:

And yeah, if we are going to add cities and stuff, we can have rabbit mothers walking thier children, washing clothes, etc.

Nice idea :D

Karel

Post by Karel » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:27 am

Other rabbits, once you're dead, could also do silly things with your body, then eating it.

Or not. Anyway I like the original idea, I always wanted to see the rabbit do something else once you're dead. Because they're like, "Well whatever" and just continue walking.

Devilsclub

Post by Devilsclub » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:31 am

Karel wrote:Other rabbits, once you're dead, could also do silly things with your body, then eating it.
Rabbits are herbivores. And i dont mean Herbi-whores. They wont eat you up :P lol

Zelron

Post by Zelron » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:09 pm

This sounds more like a distraction feature.
Leaving dead bodies laying around so AI will run over to investigte. Which lets you walk right past them.

Devilsclub

Post by Devilsclub » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:23 pm

Zelron wrote:This sounds more like a distraction feature.
Leaving dead bodies laying around so AI will run over to investigte. Which lets you walk right past them.
That makes it even more humane, realistic. They wont be cyborgs who notice every slightest movement :lol:

Besides in most maps you are required to kill every enemy in the map to proceed so it doesnt make a difference.

Zelron

Post by Zelron » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:12 am

Devilsclub wrote:
That makes it even more humane, realistic. They wont be cyborgs who notice every slightest movement :lol:

Besides in most maps you are required to kill every enemy in the map to proceed so it doesnt make a difference.
There are no maps currently that have any way to proceed.
Soooooo, huh?

And i'm pretty sure there have been mentions that the game will encourage more of a stelth aspect.
In which some levels you may not to have to kill a single person to complete it.

Rhaedas

Post by Rhaedas » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:17 am

Zelron wrote:
Devilsclub wrote:

There are no maps currently that have any way to proceed.
Soooooo, huh?

And i'm pretty sure there have been mentions that the game will encourage more of a stelth aspect.
In which some levels you may not to have to kill a single person to complete it.
Sounds like a good feature to have, being able to move dead bodies around. Oh wait, we CAN do that already. Hmmm...

Devilsclub

Post by Devilsclub » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:52 am

So them acting humane helps stealth!

We kill one person, we drag him to the pathline of another alert enemy. When he see's the body, he will come close and see it, while we sneak past him. PERFECT! :mrgreen:

Zelron

Post by Zelron » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:08 am

Devilsclub wrote:So them acting humane helps stealth!

We kill one person, we drag him to the pathline of another alert enemy. When he see's the body, he will come close and see it, while we sneak past him. PERFECT! :mrgreen:
Using dead bodies as tools.
Perfectly Humane!

Also, why are we taking about what's humane? These are rabbits.