Download Receiver for free! (7-day FPS game)

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
MCWopper

Re: Please help us test Receiver (7-day FPS game)

Post by MCWopper » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:28 am

I have found the hallway that has no solid floor. I managed to make a screenshot before falling trough it for the 20th time.

But you guys should definitely continue working on this game, and make it a full indie game.

the priority´s should be:

1: optimization (my game is running average 20/30fps and that makes the game allot less fun to play. definitely if i can run battlefield 3 on high just fine.
2: fixing little bugs like that hallway of doom or the overpowered tazer bot.
3: nav point to the next tape or some other assistance (I have been playing ever since i saw that video and i managed to get 7 out of 11 before dying.)
4: adding a flash light that way you can keep the dark rooms (for atmosphere) and still be able to see something
5: adding some more guns that diver allot from one and other like a shotgun, a springfield rifle or submachine gun. to bring in some more variation. because the gun is so far the most interesting and fun part of the game.
6: more tilesets and improved level quality.
7: more enemies.

and that's all i can think of right now.
most fun I have had with a shooter in a while. I actually wanted this kind of game with so much gun control about 3 years ago when I saw that gun app on the Iphone.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:32 am

Sordid Dreams wrote:To everyone saying that the game is too dark - calibrate your monitors, people. You don't need fancy equipment, just eyeball it.
Funny you should say that, I was just using colorhug to get a working ICC profile for my image working monitor (not my main game playing one) this morning, but seriously it's so dark that if I was bring monitor up for Receiver then all bright stuff would be completely eyeball searing ;)

Blob

Post by Blob » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:34 am

Biggest glaring issue I've seen is clipping through floors randomly, hard to play when you can instantly die. But the gunplay feels great.

Obrum

Post by Obrum » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:36 am

I sincerely hope you plan on expanding this, potentially making a four player online thing maybe? As in where each player has one life, when you die you stay dead until the next round? I say four players because I imagine more would get hectic and not be fun. But I think this system would lend itself nicely to a tactical shooter style game.

Anyway, on to what I think of this...

As it is, I love it, very different to pretty much every shooter out there. The gun mechanics are brilliant, and there's a lot of tension too which I wasn't expecting. The game is really hard, which is great, gives more satisfaction when you're doing well, and more fear of dying too!

Bugs-wise, I too have fallen through the floor, and once spawned with only two bullets, though I don't know if that could be considered a bug so much as bad luck. There was also one time when I spawned with one of those flying drones behind me, which killed me before I had a chance to react, but again, might not be a bug. In the end though, these are minor things that don't occur frequently and don't ruin the game.

Currently, I would say that I wouldn't want to spend any money on it though, as it feels more like a beta/alpha to me. Although, I would gladly spend money if it were advertised as such, with the promise that it would be refined in future. Also, while it is great fun, it does become repetitive having only one area. Maybe having a couple more maps to choose from while keeping the same "Find audio tapes system" would benefit it greatly. (While I realise this was made in 7 days, I'm just pointing out features I would have liked in an ideal situation, assuming you had as much time as you needed to make it perfect. :wink: )

In conclusion, I really enjoyed this, an amazing game for only 7 days of work, and I'm glad I got to play it, though I likely wouldn't have paid for it had I not already pre-ordered Overgrowth. With some refining though, more areas and potentially a multiplayer mode (LAN would be pretty good actually, I can imagine some great moments), I would fork over my cash in an instant. xD

Sordid Dreams

Post by Sordid Dreams » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:37 am

Another gameplay issue: It's way too easy to fall off ledges, especially since railings appear to be ancient lost technology in this post-apocalyptic future. Very often when I try to slowly creep my way to the edge the game registers my input as a double tap instead and sprints me straight to my doom. A Minecraft-like "hold shift to not fall off things" mechanic would be extremely helpful.

I'd also like to add to the chorus of "awesome game, develop it more". It's an extremely impressive prototype, with a bit more work and polish I wouldn't hesitate to pay good money for it.

Sandurz

Post by Sandurz » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:50 am

After playing a bit more, I have a few problems. Where the hell am I supposed to hit the turrets to disable them quickly? Shooting random parts isn't working for me.

When standing in front of a light source, you can see the shadow of a gun in front of you. I realize that's all that's being rendered, but it kind of takes out part of the realism for me.

Dying is strange. I get shot twice by a turret, and am still able to walk a step or two, then keel over and die. It should immediately kill me, instead of teasing me. It would also be nice if something were to indicate the amount of "health" you have, something similar to Lugaru.

[insertusernamehere]

Post by [insertusernamehere] » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:53 am

Bit torrent link please?

Direct downloads and mirrors don't do well on my home network. I've tried several times to download it and something on my connection seems to want to corrupt it every time.

IcyBlade

Post by IcyBlade » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:54 am

Wow this is a great game, I am astounded that you came up with such impressive fps mechanics in only 7 days.
Unfortunately now every other fps seams cheap without your gun control.
I have also recently been playing an Arma2 mod called DayZ and these gun mechanics in a zombie apocalypse simulation like that would blow my mind.

nihilocrat

Post by nihilocrat » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:55 am

It is awesome that there is now a game in existence that very accurately fetishizes the process of operating a pistol. It is a bit cumbersome in some instances, but I understand it's a hard thing to make good controls for. I found myself dropping a mag when I wanted to insert it pretty often. I think it's because E and Z are separate keys when in reality I think "E" is the "insert or eject mag". I never actually want to drop a mag because mags and rounds are so rare in the game. I would say that the most cumbersome operation was topping off a mag with more bullets; eject mag, holster gun, top off mag, unholster gun, insert mag, pull back slide if necessary.

Ammo is absurdly rare depending on your luck at the beginning of the game, but sometimes you start off with a full two mags. The aiming is a bit difficult, so I wouldn't mind being given a little lee-way to miss a few times and merely reload. Shooting the gun feels good enough that I think the game would be more fun if you weren't so harshly punished for missing; I'm a bit of a berzerker but I like the idea of letting off 2-4 shots rather than a single perfectly-placed one. An extra mag of guaranteed ammo from the start, and/or more plentiful ammo in the levels might remedy the situation.

Everything is really dark, I know the game is supposed to be dark but there are some areas that are well-lit and others that are really hard to navigate. It's probably just that the brightness on my monitor is really low. It would be wise to add a gamma-adjust dialog before the player starts the game.

I thought 1911's had only 7 rounds, a tape mentions that it has 8 (I guess one is in the chamber? It is a very "advanced" operation to chamber, eject mag, holster, insert round, unholster, insert mag).

I actually tried participating in 7DFPS, but I didn't like how the first day went and the rest of the week was too troublesome at work and home. I actually made an experiment using the same mouselook-and-RMB-aiming method that you are using in Receiver, but the way I did it felt kind of restrictive; I completely locked the view while RMB was down, which may have changed stuff. I was also aiming for a much more chaotic game with less accuracy, automatic weapons, and tons of ammo.

Sordid Dreams

Post by Sordid Dreams » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:58 am

Regarding the darkness bit, it seems I'd been lucky to mostly get well-lit areas. I got some kind of industrial area that was almost pitch black in my last game, pipes and things everywhere, a bunch of rooms that were completely identical, it was a nightmare. So yes, I'm converted. This game does need a flashlight.
Sandurz wrote:After playing a bit more, I have a few problems. Where the hell am I supposed to hit the turrets to disable them quickly? Shooting random parts isn't working for me.
I find shooting it in the face in the brief moment when it's tracking me but hasn't opened fire yet works fairly well. It disables its firing mechanism so it continues to track me but can't fire.
When standing in front of a light source, you can see the shadow of a gun in front of you. I realize that's all that's being rendered, but it kind of takes out part of the realism for me.
Yeah, just get rid of the shadow entirely.
Dying is strange. I get shot twice by a turret, and am still able to walk a step or two, then keel over and die. It should immediately kill me, instead of teasing me. It would also be nice if something were to indicate the amount of "health" you have, something similar to Lugaru.
There is no health, even a single hit is instant death (or rather slightly delayed death, which I happen to like a lot).

Warcrea

Post by Warcrea » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:59 am

Like everyone else I'm here to say you did an incredible job in just 7 days, and I really hope you add to it.

I won't mention bugs because it looks like everyone's covered all the ones I noticed, but there are some tweaks to the gameplay that I think would really improve it.

Better damage feedback - At the moment it's too hard to tell if you've crippled an enemy. A lot of times I've been certain I've shot out a turret's gun, only to be annihilated the moment I leave my cover. The sound the taser droids make when their motor is destroyed would be enough, just play that whenever a component of an enemy is taken out.

Flashlight - Lots of people have mentioned this and for good reason. I love how dark some of the rooms get, but it can make navigation absolutely impossible. A simple flashlight would fix this.

Tape/Bullet Cues - It seems like the music gets louder as you get closer to danger, although at first I thought it was telling me when I was nearing a tape. This could be expanded on, for example the bass could become louder when approaching enemies, while the high synth becomes louder when you are close to a helpful pickup.

These are the three main things I'd personally love to see included, to bring the game from feeling like an alpha into a finished product. Apart from these suggestions though, I honestly think Receiver is brilliant, the atmosphere is fantastic and the gun mechanics add a whole new dimension to gameplay. This is the best thing I've seen from the 7DFPS.

Monkeh

Post by Monkeh » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:09 pm

So the link in the first post is the final release or what? :P

Sordid Dreams

Post by Sordid Dreams » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:11 pm

Is there a way to remove bullets from magazines other than putting the mag in the gun and pulling the slide a bunch of times, then picking the bullets up again?

Payve

Post by Payve » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:11 pm

I've been playing this lil' thing for 6 hours straight, i've gotten 4 tapes as highest before dying.

You guys should do something with this, it's got alot of potential. I have the same issues as everybody else i'd add nothing new to the table.

SERIOUSLY DO SOMETHING WITH THIS, full fleged game! The story just from the tapes just makes my balls tickles so damn much and i want to know EVERYTHING in this world, EVERYTHING.

DO SOMETHING

kuoma

Post by kuoma » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:33 pm

game looks awesome