Download Receiver for free! (7-day FPS game)

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Silverfish

Re: Download Receiver for free! (7-day FPS game)

Post by Silverfish » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:46 pm

I found a turret lying down. It was alive in that position before I killed it.
receiver_turret_lying_down.png

Mr. Wonko

Post by Mr. Wonko » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:54 pm

RealoFoxtrot wrote:I'd love to get support for the Razer Hydra for this, it's got some great potential if they were both used together
My thoughts exactly. Besides "awesome!" and "hey, we need more games to do guns like this!"

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:56 pm

I've also come across a live, horizontal turret, and have as of yet still not encountered the clipping bug.
Also, I'm on a mac, by the way, if that needed to be said.

Egbert

Post by Egbert » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:00 pm

The reloading quickly became second nature and when you pull of a speed reload in a split second as you run out of ammo fighting a flyer you feel like a damn boss.

I did however find myself relying too much on one strategy, for turrets, shoot the small teal canister, it seems to be a pressure canister or something, seeing as it stops the turret from firing once shot. Or the camera, which blinds it, I prefer the camera though because else there is no indication if I have disabled it or not, has led to a few deaths. For the flyers, don't panic, shoot them in the white centerpiece, the orange bars appear to be armour. A single shot to the white centerpiece is a kill.

EDIT:

Oh yeah, and screw the random number god, screw him.

EDITED EDIT:

Dear god I encountered that room that the turret hell video found.
First 2 behind opposite pillars, then this.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:58 pm

Captured a reoccurring fall-through-floor bug on video.

Ancurio

Post by Ancurio » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:18 pm

Don't know if similar stuff was already posted, but this is awesome news!

kotakotakota

Post by kotakotakota » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:24 pm

Ancurio wrote:Don't know if similar stuff was already posted, but this is awesome news!
It is, though I wonder when that will be released.

The DooD

Post by The DooD » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:37 pm

I hate those flying taser bots so much right now. I got 10 cassettes, and then one of them saw me before I even knew it was there and just got me like that. God damn

cachiporrin
Froot Loop!!!

Post by cachiporrin » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:39 pm

The DooD wrote:I hate those flying taser bots so much right now. I got 10 cassettes, and then one of them saw me before I even knew it was there and just got me like that. God damn
has anyone actually gotten the 11 tapes?
Oh and please correct me if I'm wrong, the handgun loads 9 bullets, right?
Or...9 in the cartridge and 1 in the chamber?

Naqel

Post by Naqel » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:41 pm

Spinnacre wrote:I decided to record a little game play and ran into the floor clipping bug right away. Made me giggle.

Colours are dodgy due to brightness increase in post, hope you don't mine. A flash light would be great!

This has to be some of the best footage so far.

I laughed for a good 3-4 minutes after watching that.

2cryptic

Post by 2cryptic » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:43 pm

+1 Invert Y Request.

SRSLY can't hit anything without it :D
Also, why not include it into SUMLauncer?

Patter

Post by Patter » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:56 pm

I absolutely love the gun Mechanic in this game! you guys should make a full game out of this with more details and features, i bet it will sell well and revolutionize the FPS genre

YouKnow

Post by YouKnow » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:00 pm

cachiporrin wrote:
The DooD wrote:I hate those flying taser bots so much right now. I got 10 cassettes, and then one of them saw me before I even knew it was there and just got me like that. God damn
has anyone actually gotten the 11 tapes?
Oh and please correct me if I'm wrong, the handgun loads 9 bullets, right?
Or...9 in the cartridge and 1 in the chamber?
8 in the cartridge + 1 in the chamber.

Froggie

Post by Froggie » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:49 pm

Found the thread yesterday and decided to give it a try. After a couple of cold starts I decided to remap all the keys to what I considered a more dynamic layout, and after that the gunplay felt much smoother.
It's highly recommended to personalize the button layout. It worked wonders for me.

Now, I do have some feedback:

Pro
*Very interesting gunplay. It's the first FPS game in years that I actually enjoy solely because of the mechanics of weaponry, so mad props there.
*Making every bullet count has never felt this urgent, simply because the game doesn't guarantee you any ammo.
*Making the turrets able to break in more than one way really makes it more interesting.
*Most of the disables I found intuitive, like the searchlight going offline or the headpiece dropping, but some were very hit and miss. I thought a bright flash over the teal container meant it was unable to fire, but I'm not sure.

Cons
*The already mentioned floor drop bug makes long successful runs end in a frustrating manner.
*Turrets don't seem to display certain malfunctions. I've learned some hints, like the dropping headpiece, the missing light spot and the brief flash, but sometimes it seems that the only sure way of knowing if a turret is disabled is to step out of cover and risk instadeath. Or making sure by shooting some more. When ammo is this sparse and it's your only weapon, things like this make a difference.
*The drones are hard to discern because of the silent running and the ambient music.

Suggestions:
*Either make the drones more audible or make their light spots more noticeable. This is mostly because you can't really hear a drone in the next room, and scanning for search lights is already a good way of knowing if there's a turret nearby. This requires that the light spot is visible though.
*Make switching between magazines more fluent, for example by letting the one in your hand switch places with the one occupying an inventory space directly.
*Make it possible to use the empty cartridges to distract drones. Throwing a cartridge could alert them and make them watch it move or even follow it a short bit. This could make it possible to lure them out for a more controlled kill. If the abundance of cartridges makes it too easy, maybe only recently fired ones make them alert.

Other things I noticed when I played my special way:
*Turrets can't see you when you stand "inside" their space. Like so:
reciever bug3.JPG
*Insert crude genitalia joke here*

I ran out of bullets and ran from a drone, only to find myself face to face with a turret. In mad panic I dashed towards it and was left standing.

This makes it very easy to completely bypass solo turrets even at long uncovered ranges, by taking cover within their line of sight and sprinting when they're not looking. It also makes it possible to make point-blank shots, although it is actually easy to miss. It is also possible to die from the ricochet at that range, but this I can't prove until I catch it on camera, since it's only happened once.

Another thing that's possible is to stand on one turret and quickly dodging another to make them take out themselves. Like so.
Reciever bug13.JPG
Reciever bug12.JPG
This isn't faked, but it was accidental. I didn't notice the search light of the table one and decided to be a jerk to the first one, only to hear that damn beep. I dashed to the corner and heard shots go off, and when I turned around the first one was the unlucky looser of the fight.
I haven't managed to make the turrets take out the drones for me yet though. Baby steps.

What's most important though, is that this makes it possible to study the effects of where your shots hit. If you can easily see what you took out you can start to learn exactly what subtle cues the turrets give when they malfunction.

Closing this already long post, I must agree with the people that want more of this. It's awesome, and for a 7 day project it's just mindboggling.
I don't require more weapons though. This game made at least me think of my gun as more than just a disposable weapon. It is your only defense, and if you take care of it, it will take care of you. This really gives a deeper insight into the love soldiers have for their weaponry, and it's done without giving it a name or even a super high polygon count....or purple text.

I might welcome a bucket of water though, just so I can be that much more of a jerk to those poor turrets.

Alucard-666

Post by Alucard-666 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:11 pm

It's awesome but I have a question : After some update for bugs fix, will this game have more content :?: