Migration to the Humble Store, coming soon

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Jeff
Evil Twin

Migration to the Humble Store, coming soon

Post by Jeff » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:45 pm

Hey everyone, I am working on moving the Overgrowth downloading stuff over to the Humble Store, so that you download Overgrowth from a page on humblebundle.com instead of through the forum. I will likely keep the forum method going for the next several weeks simultaneously, but will probably eventually just maintain the Humble Store version.

If everything goes as planned, the only thing you should notice is that your wolfire.com/spf/KEY page will redirect to a Humble Bundle style download page instead of our legacy wolfire.com downloader. Note that people will still be encouraged to join the SPF, just not forced to before downloading.

WHY CHANGE?

- The current system is a bit confusing to new customers who are accustomed to simply getting a download page instead of needing to jump through some hoops.

- This will let us integrate with more features of the Humble Store such as gifting

- We will have much better customer service, since the entire Humble Bundle support team will be behind it.

- Finally, we can eventually use the Humble Store infrastructure to distribute Overgrowth Steam keys :oops:

Glabbit

Re: Migration to the Humble Store, coming soon

Post by Glabbit » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:52 pm

Jeff, you make us happy!
This should definitely decrease our IRC-questioneers about where the game is
Question though: Will the SUMLauncher be included on the humblebundle download page? Or at least referenced and linked to? It certainly does help peeps a lot in many ways.

SteelRaven7

Post by SteelRaven7 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:55 pm

Awesome, I agree with what Glabbit said.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:01 pm

Glabbit wrote:Jeff, you make us happy!
This should definitely decrease our IRC-questioneers about where the game is
Question though: Will the SUMLauncher be included on the humblebundle download page? Or at least referenced and linked to? It certainly does help peeps a lot in many ways.
That would be cool. I can make a box at the top that has a bunch of info. I will experiment

sunshinekid

Post by sunshinekid » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:29 pm

Now I'm a bit confused. :?:

Some months ago, I wanted to resend my keys of the humblebundles and was pleased to see, that my Overgrowth preorder was included. I thought, I missed the news in the forums.

EDIT: I see... you added an account system.

bennyp

Post by bennyp » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:36 pm

Just checking: users who have already pre-ordered will also get steam keys?

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:36 pm

Bennyp, I think it's safe to say:
Definitely.

That's great news, Jeff!
I'm looking forward to seeing the result.

MrOtton

Post by MrOtton » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:01 pm

Ooooh yeah... STEAM KEYS FOR EVERYONE :)
Great changes!

tannim

Post by tannim » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:56 pm

So long as we can have a NON-steam version I'm happy. I don't like having to be online to play a game if I'm not playing it multiplayer.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:07 pm

tannim wrote:So long as we can have a NON-steam version I'm happy. I don't like having to be online to play a game if I'm not playing it multiplayer.
Absolutely

zzwerty

Post by zzwerty » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:05 am

Thanks, I've seen countless confused customers on the forums saying things like 'How doe I downlaods wolfire??!?!??!1/' and things, and I can imagine this would be very unsatisfactory for them. Can I ask how the alphas will be delivered to us though, will we just have to navigate to a humble bundle page and click download?

Endorgan

Post by Endorgan » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:54 am

I predict SUM Launcher, my friend!

Karel

Post by Karel » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:45 am

tannim wrote:So long as we can have a NON-steam version I'm happy. I don't like having to be online to play a game if I'm not playing it multiplayer.
Not a lot of people seem to know that, but for that kind of games, you can.

When I buy games that I can activate on steam (and therefore that I don't buy directly on steam) such as, for instance Arma 2 (though I bought this onse on steam the key can be used elsewhere) ... I just have to search for the exe and launch it like that if I want to play off steam.

That's really as simple as that for some games, and I think that it would be the same for OG ;)

Most games though (games I buy on steam, valve games, etc) need steam and if you use the exe they'll launch steam. That's the biggest drawback of steam imo, the offline mode isn't good enough, even if it can allow you to play games while in offline mode and REALLY disconected from the internet sometimes.

If it didn't have all these features and all these excellent prices, I'd probably say it's another fucking annoying DRM tho x)

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:05 am

Wait, how is steam's offline mode 'not good enough'? What's wrong with it? I've certainly never had any problems with it.

sunshinekid

Post by sunshinekid » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:12 pm

It's a bit off topic, to talk about Steam offline mode....

But: The two main problems are, that you can't get achievements in most games and offline mode refuses to work, if Steam wasn't shut down correctly. Most people shut down their computer and forget about Steam. And THIS is the biggest problem...