Jump Kick Way OP

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Nonsequitorian

Jump Kick Way OP

Post by Nonsequitorian » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:58 pm

I don't know if anybody else has this problem, or if it's just a balance issue, but the jump kick is about as powerful as cows are in Dwarf Fortress. It's basically an atomic bomb in a single foot. A wolf takes a lot of work to kill with normal fighting and is relatively dangerous. So is a group of three rabbit guards all at once.

With the jump kick, I can take out a wolf in one shot, I can take out three rabbit guards with only one jump. It's ridiculous. I shouldn't be able to go all Mario on my ninja super kung fu enemy fighters and win. Maybe it's just me, but the jump kick is just too good not to use. It's hard to block and doesn't leave you open for pain like others do. It's all I need to use. Maybe it's realistic, but from a standing jump being able to just break people's necks seems weird. I understand jump kicks when you're actually moving fast, but a jump kick from a stand still I feel should be much riskier. I mean, you're in midair totally helpless and relying on momentum to get close to your enemies.

Anybody else feel this way?

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Re: Jump Kick Way OP

Post by Constance » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:05 pm

I was thinking that enemies should be able to dodge the jump kick, and that enemies can use the kick on you. Otherwise I have no clue how to balance it.

last

Post by last » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:35 pm

I think that you already can dodge the jump kick but to do that the enemy must be in the reach of the attack. I believe so because you already can dodge weapon attacks and close combat melee fighting maybe even thrown weapons. The problem is that those kind of attacks are extremely fast and you almost haven't time to react/ move.
When you have a friend over and wan't to test this theory you can toggle slow motion on and play some OG.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:13 pm

Yeah, it's OP. It has been that way for a long time, so it will likely be a long time until they get around to balancing it.

Marksman46

Post by Marksman46 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:30 pm

it is OP, i think the CPUs should be able to counter it somehow, but it is pretty awesome when you jump off of one enemy's face onto a another xD

Jaz
Location: Earth, Near The Sun, Milky Way, Universe, Time Loop

Post by Jaz » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:35 pm

The AI can already counter the jump kick if you're close enough or if they have far-reaching weapons. I don't see the problem here... ?

Nonsequitorian

Post by Nonsequitorian » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:50 pm

It's just that being able to one shot a wolf is silly, and being able to do that to multiple wolves without missing a beat is sillier. Wolves are nothing to a jump kick, and aren't they supposed to be really tough?

Bunnyboy

Post by Bunnyboy » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:17 am

yeah it is pretty silly, but i have been jump kicked by a wolf before... there was no way to dodge. :roll:

sandwichpolice

Post by sandwichpolice » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:44 pm

It is OP,but so was the leg cannon in Lugaru. It could take out enemies in one or two leg cannons. But if you timed it wrong,they pulled you to the ground.

Djemps

Post by Djemps » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:04 pm

The 'power' of the Leg Cannon is not the attack itself, but the fact that it has a hefty downward knock back. The enemy often survives getting kicked, but dies when they slam against the ground.

Lhorkan

Post by Lhorkan » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:27 pm

In Lugaru, enemies can grab you out of mid-air, so if you weren't careful you would get smacked back down before you did any damage.

I'm sure David is going to bring this back in OG at some point.

Nonsequitorian

Post by Nonsequitorian » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:49 pm

Djemps wrote:The 'power' of the Leg Cannon is not the attack itself, but the fact that it has a hefty downward knock back. The enemy often survives getting kicked, but dies when they slam against the ground.
I assumed it was because it was straight to the face, snapping the neck. Though I guess in the game's physics death-on-ground-collision is a more likely culprit of the extreme power.

12sea21

Post by 12sea21 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:15 am

Nonsequitorian wrote:
Djemps wrote:The 'power' of the Leg Cannon is not the attack itself, but the fact that it has a hefty downward knock back. The enemy often survives getting kicked, but dies when they slam against the ground.
I assumed it was because it was straight to the face, snapping the neck. Though I guess in the game's physics death-on-ground-collision is a more likely culprit of the extreme power.
They sometimes block the kick, but they get hurled towards the grounds, often hitting their vertebrae and/or their head (top of spine) which causes death. Then I hear the squeal and smile with satisfaction.

TheCGMaximum

Post by TheCGMaximum » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:10 am

I think that this should trigger an animation of its own so that physics can't prematurely kill someone just because they are "moving" too fast to survive a jump kick, maybe it could turn them into rag doll form for a bit, like you knocked them out. these are just ideas but a modder could make these fairly easily by making an extra animation or just making a setting so that when you get hit by a jump kick you turn into a rogdoll for 2 seconds or something. :lol:

cthuljew

Post by cthuljew » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:02 am

Reading this thread, it struck me that the jump kick is really only OP right now because of the state the AI is in. I would imagine that as the game develops, the AI will at some point be taught just how powerful the Leg Cannon is, and will always avoid a rabbit who is in the air if they can. Now, that still means you can jump at an unsuspecting enemy far away and kill them with one hit, but that's actually really hard to do. So, maybe the Leg Cannon can remain as strong as it is (well, maybe a little weaker), but be accounted for in the AI. It would be as if all the enemy characters would be aware of how famously powerful the rabbits' jump kicks are, and wouldn't let themselves get attacked by it.