Reduce lag.

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
DaynjaDog

Reduce lag.

Post by DaynjaDog » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:16 am

This gets very annoying sometimes and I would be glad if anyone can list some things to help with making all the animation smoother, less laggy and have a higher frame rate. NOTE: I have already reduced the window size and I don't want anything to do with getting a better graphics card.

My graphics card is: nVidia GeForce 8300

PLEASE HELP! :o

Domceck

Re: Reduce lag.

Post by Domceck » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:09 am

Get the Sum Launcher and check the config tab.
disable anti aliasing, anisotropic filtering, effects, shaders, reduce texture quality, reduce the resolution and check. You can start putting things back on and try out which option you can enable without losing too much fps.
You can also enable "display fps" to see what's going on.

Hope you get it going

DaynjaDog

Post by DaynjaDog » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:26 pm

I actually wanted to raise the fps.... :?

Rhaedas

Post by Rhaedas » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:08 pm

Try the above suggestions. OG is default pretty low to begin with, but there's still some things you can reduce if it's too much for your card. The less it has to do, the more frames it can generate. Also, remember that your CPU is used a lot in calculations as well, so look at trying to free up anything that might be taking CPU cycles away.

Outside of that, not much you can do at this point with the alpha, if you're going to stick with the same hardware. Things will get better to a point as the game develops, but obviously you can only do what your hardware is designed to pump out, no matter how well the code is written.

Rewjeo

Post by Rewjeo » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:15 pm

You could also play with the game full screen, but on a lower resolution. The texture quality drops just as much, but the game is full screen. I do that when my computer is being temperamental about running OG well, although at times I can also play it at max settings flawlessly...

DaynjaDog

Post by DaynjaDog » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:19 pm

Rhaedas wrote:Try the above suggestions. OG is default pretty low to begin with, but there's still some things you can reduce if it's too much for your card. The less it has to do, the more frames it can generate. Also, remember that your CPU is used a lot in calculations as well, so look at trying to free up anything that might be taking CPU cycles away.

Outside of that, not much you can do at this point with the alpha, if you're going to stick with the same hardware. Things will get better to a point as the game develops, but obviously you can only do what your hardware is designed to pump out, no matter how well the code is written.
Yes, I did try Last's Obstacle Course on the Main Menu Mod, but since it has like 2 billion objects, it was VERY laggy. But now, Red Shards and many other maps are performing much better. Anything else? I'm just trying to find every single thing to increase the frame rate in the game that I can.

Fwiller

Post by Fwiller » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:36 pm

resolution and texture quality factor into the frame rate quite a bit. I think this has been said before, but just to be sure you didn't miss it. (;

DaynjaDog

Post by DaynjaDog » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:47 pm

Fwiller wrote:resolution and texture quality factor into the frame rate quite a bit. I think this has been said before, but just to be sure you didn't miss it. (;
Do you mean lower it or raise it?

cosmicolor

Post by cosmicolor » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:08 am

He means lower it as much as possible. If you have it all as low as possible and you're still struggling to run the game then that is an indicator that you need a new graphics card but it sounds like things are working better for you now.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:06 am

Well, it gets a bit tricky, because to reduce the texture quality, you have to increase the value.

When the value of texture_reduce is 0 or 1 (I'm not sure which), textures are drawn at full quality. At value 3 or 4, they're at much lower quality, and the game might work faster.

DaynjaDog

Post by DaynjaDog » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:25 pm

Nope, still laggy.