My PC not letting me play OG?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
sandwichpolice

My PC not letting me play OG?

Post by sandwichpolice » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:29 am

I have played OG on the mac. It was pretty fun,but I recently upgraded my PC and download OG.
The first error I got was an NSIS error. Whatever that was. The second time I downloaded it,my PC that it was the most unsafe file it could find. So it deleted it. Anyone else having this problem?And if so,is there a fix?

Jaz
Location: Earth, Near The Sun, Milky Way, Universe, Time Loop

Re: My PC not letting me play OG?

Post by Jaz » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:52 am

Are you using the correct file?

There is a Mac version for Mac.
There is a Windows version for Windows.
A Linux version for Linux, etc.

sandwichpolice

Post by sandwichpolice » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:45 am

Yes,I am using the correct file.

SPITFIRE118xxx

Post by SPITFIRE118xxx » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:55 pm

Pictures may help.

sandwichpolice

Post by sandwichpolice » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:24 am

I'll try to get some pictures.

sandwichpolice

Post by sandwichpolice » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:37 am

Turns out,norton had a reason to remove it.
IT HAD A VIRUS.
Why? Why would overgrowth give me a virus?
The virus is known as WS.Reputation.1. This is what Symantec said about it:
Behavior
WS.Reputation.1 is a detection for files that have a low reputation score based on analyzing data from Symantec’s community of users and therefore are likely to be security risks. Detections of this type are based on Symantec’s reputation-based security technology. Because this detection is based on a reputation score, it does not represent a specific class of threat like adware or spyware, but instead applies to all threat categories.

The reputation-based system uses "the wisdom of crowds" (Symantec’s tens of millions of end users) connected to cloud-based intelligence to compute a reputation score for an application, and in the process identify malicious software in an entirely new way beyond traditional signatures and behavior-based detection techniques.*
Thank you symantec for the info.

zzwerty

Post by zzwerty » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:53 am

Overgrowth does not contain a Virus. In fact, Norton internet security is kind of renowned for detecting threats that are not there and not detecting those that are. Maybe download overgrowth through the SUMlauncher, and don't worry about viruses.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:01 am

^

CryptoSeven

Post by CryptoSeven » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:43 am

sandwichpolice wrote:Turns out,norton had a reason to remove it.
IT HAD A VIRUS.
Why? Why would overgrowth give me a virus?
The virus is known as WS.Reputation.1. This is what Symantec said about it:
Behavior
WS.Reputation.1 is a detection for files that have a low reputation score based on analyzing data from Symantec’s community of users and therefore are likely to be security risks. Detections of this type are based on Symantec’s reputation-based security technology. Because this detection is based on a reputation score, it does not represent a specific class of threat like adware or spyware, but instead applies to all threat categories.

The reputation-based system uses "the wisdom of crowds" (Symantec’s tens of millions of end users) connected to cloud-based intelligence to compute a reputation score for an application, and in the process identify malicious software in an entirely new way beyond traditional signatures and behavior-based detection techniques.*
Thank you symantec for the info.
Did you understand that quote? It is not an identified virus. It is a file unknown to the (anti)virus program so it is flagged as a risk. Given that a new version of Overgrowth is released with each alpha it is not very surprising that crowd sourced threat identification performs this badly.