Overgrowth Machinima - Voice Actors Wanted

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
D-man

Overgrowth Machinima - Voice Actors Wanted

Post by D-man » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:05 am

The first thing I want to say is that by Machinima I mean the creation of a web series using a video game, not the company called Machinima. Ok now into it, I have had this idea for a while now (a couple of months) and I have been working on getting it all set up. I wrote the story for the first few episodes and it goes for about 4000 words (with mostly dialogue and a bit of notes on how to do it in game). I am not sure about episode length yet. I do not have a name for the series yet, but I will think of one before the first episode's release date. This is my first major project of this type, but I have had a bit of experience with smaller projects.

I am posting this on here to see if anyone wants to help me on this venture. One thing I want to make clear is that I am not relying on other peoples help, I am able to create this Machinima with the current resources I have available. I am just asking here to see if people would want to help me out on this project, to make it of higher quality and at greater speeds. I will be hosting the series on youtube as each episode is completed. I will monetize the videos (hopefully, as youtube sometimes randomly rejects videos) so I can't have any copyrighted sounds or music in the video. I will not be able to pay you for helping, but I will mention all of the people who helped in the video and it will give you some experience and maybe some fame. I haven't made a youtube account for this yet, as I am unsure of a name for it.

I have talked with ninja (Overgrowth Developer) a little bit about this and he has given me the all clear. Why wouldn't he, as this will help advertise Overgrowth and encourage people to try it out. I have put a lot of thought into how it will work in the editor, for voice i will be using the v button a lot. I know the mouth remains open after 'v' is pressed, but it still makes it easier to see who is talking. I know the game isn't completed yet, but there are enough features for me to create this Machinima and I can add new features into the newer episodes.

I don't want to spoil the story for everyone, but it revolves around 3 rabbits (other main characters introduced later) as they set out on a path of vengeance.

The things that I would be grateful if people help me with are:
Music tracks/Sound Effects
Level/Map Design
Voice Acting
Story Advice/Assistance

I know a lot of people have been designing custom levels, so why not do it for something specific with the chance of it becoming famous/successful.
A female voice actor/s would be something that would help quite a lot.
Music would be very much appreciated aswell.

If you want to help out in anyway, you can email me at [email protected]
If you have any questions or suggestions you can email me or post on this thread.

I really have no idea of what to expect from you guys (girls included), I have been on the IRC for a while, but I am new to to the forum community so I hope you guys are supportive and helpful as the IRC people were.
Last edited by D-man on Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

Retarded Username

Re: Overgrowth Machinima

Post by Retarded Username » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:03 pm

Sounds nice, sadly I can't help, I do not know how to make levels in the editor (But im sure its very easy) Don't own a microphone, but Im kinda good with stories if that helps at all.
Please tell me the machinima's name when you have the first episode

D-man

Re: Overgrowth Machinima

Post by D-man » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:15 pm

Retarded Username wrote:Sounds nice, sadly I can't help, I do not know how to make levels in the editor (But im sure its very easy) Don't own a microphone, but Im kinda good with stories if that helps at all.
Please tell me the machinima's name when you have the first episode
Thanks for replying, I am glad you are interested in the project. I will post on here/SPF when the name has been decided. I think the story is fine for now, but I have someone who will be editing it soon.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Re: Overgrowth Machinima - Help Wanted

Post by Anton » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:18 am

Unfortunately, I currently don't have the time to write new music for something like this, but I am interested in contributing. I have a pretty large back catalog of music, and we can probably work out a deal for you to use it in your videos. It might make sense to show me what you have, when you start actually editing the video, and I can help make some selections at that point.

D-man

Post by D-man » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:56 am

Anton wrote:Unfortunately, I currently don't have the time to write new music for something like this, but I am interested in contributing. I have a pretty large back catalog of music, and we can probably work out a deal for you to use it in your videos. It might make sense to show me what you have, when you start actually editing the video, and I can help make some selections at that point.
Thanks for the offer, I will definitely contact you when I get the first episode done so we can work out music for it.

Almost

Post by Almost » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:59 pm

Hey im Conway and this sounds like the project ive been searching for. I would love to come help write the story and maybe do some recording or acting.

I also have been live streaming games for about a month now so im moving into doing youtube videos. I also have a good knowledge of programs like Photoshop and sony vegas

D-man

Post by D-man » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:53 pm

Almost wrote:Hey im Conway and this sounds like the project ive been searching for. I would love to come help write the story and maybe do some recording or acting.

I also have been live streaming games for about a month now so im moving into doing youtube videos. I also have a good knowledge of programs like Photoshop and sony vegas
I have replied to your email. For now I won't need any story assistance, but after the first couple of episodes I will be seeking advice and assistance.

D-man

Post by D-man » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:15 am

Is there any level/map designers wanting to help out, if not I will be starting on the map design in a couple of days.

Rorik

Post by Rorik » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:15 pm

Some advice:

IMO Overgrowth is one of the hardest games to make machinima with. The crashes and bugs make the recording process twice as long as it needs to be. Hopefully the game runs smoother for you.

I wouldn't worry about monetization unless you're partnered. Don't offer people money, and don't expect to make much from machinima (unless you're truly amazing and your channel explodes with subs). It's just not well received outside of the community. I guess what I'm trying to get at is don't make videos for the money, just make them because you truly enjoy it. I've been doing it for over a year and have barely seen a return for the amount of time I've dumped into it. It's all been worth it though because there's a small amount of people out there that actually enjoy what I'm doing. The reason I say don't promise people money is because it's likely that even if you do make any amount of revenue it's likely that it wont be much more than pizza money. Unless you want to pay people out of your pocket then that's a different story.

Whatever you do please use voice actors with quality mics. The audio is half of the story, it needs to be perfect.

Expect a fall off in views after the first one.. Your first episode will be everything so make it good and don't waste any time with unrelated/overdone story telling.

If you need any help let me know. I can provide some voice acting as well if needed. If you want to private message me then please do so through YouTube.

Here's some of my Overgrowth work
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... e=view_all

More Voice Acting

D-man

Post by D-man » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:18 pm

Rorik wrote:Some advice:

IMO Overgrowth is one of the hardest games to make machinima with. The crashes and bugs make the recording process twice as long as it needs to be. Hopefully the game runs smoother for you.

I wouldn't worry about monetization unless you're partnered. Don't offer people money, and don't expect to make much from machinima (unless you're truly amazing and your channel explodes with subs). It's just not well received outside of the community. I guess what I'm trying to get at is don't make videos for the money, just make them because you truly enjoy it. I've been doing it for over a year and have barely seen a return for the amount of time I've dumped into it. It's all been worth it though because there's a small amount of people out there that actually enjoy what I'm doing. The reason I say don't promise people money is because it's likely that even if you do make any amount of revenue it's likely that it wont be much more than pizza money. Unless you want to pay people out of your pocket then that's a different story.

Whatever you do please use voice actors with quality mics. The audio is half of the story, it needs to be perfect.

Expect a fall off in views after the first one.. Your first episode will be everything so make it good and don't waste any time with unrelated/overdone story telling.

If you need any help let me know. I can provide some voice acting as well if needed. If you want to private message me then please do so through YouTube.

Here's some of my Overgrowth work

More Voice Acting
Overgrowth hardly ever crashes on my computer, so it shouldn't be that bad.

Yeah I agree with you, I won't be paying people I have decided because it just wouldn't be worth it, and I don't do it for the money, I am doing it because I enjoy it.
Thanks for all of the great advice, I might contact you for voice acting if I still need some voice actors.

peirce

Post by peirce » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:42 pm

It would be awesome if i could help with this I can't do the level editor (I'm still trying to figure that out.) I could do voice acting as long as you can supply the microphone and I'm pretty good at stories. I can also help you find music, anyway it sounds Awesome I hope it works out.

DaPimpBunny

Post by DaPimpBunny » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:36 pm

I would lover to help with any voice acting/editing. I had a youtube channel going on for a while. youtube.com/dapimpbunny if u like it give me an email - [email protected] :)

Sala

Post by Sala » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:13 pm

Hey d-man,
I have a slightly medium sized Youtube channel and would love to get involved with this project.
We can get it seen by as many people as possible and I think that would help Overgrowth get some new players!

Here is the channel:
www.youtube.com/GamerDudester

And I'm already working on a similar project to yours for another game, so I can provide you with all the soundtracks/soundeffects you need!

PM me!

D-man

Post by D-man » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:53 am

Thanks for your offers of support, I will contact each of you soon. I am working on getting a voice actor sheet where it will have sample lines from a few characters so can send that to each of you and I can see who's voice suites what. So far I have got about 2:20 of recording done, but it needs a lot of editing. I have almost finished the design of the village so I should be faster from now.

moomoohk

Post by moomoohk » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:32 pm

Well, I don't really have a "voice reel" but you can listen to my talking voice (even I'm saying gibberish xD) on my main Hebrew channel: Here (ignore the background image, it's a VERY long story that's what she- *headdesk*). There are plenty of videos you can listen to and they're pretty recent.
I speak fluent English with an American accent which you can listen to on my slightly less popular English side channel: Here. Best listen to this channel, since the first one has friends talking in the background, but these are a bit older so my voice might sound a bit different.

I'm pretty confident I can do an epic narrator voice (not quite like this guy, but I think mine's pretty good :D), or even just a normal character. I was in a choir as a kid so I have a lot of control over my voice and I'm pretty comfortable with it as well.

This intrigues me and I hope to become part of it. pick me!
Last edited by moomoohk on Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.