Is it possible to set where the AI can and can't go.

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Dagexon

Is it possible to set where the AI can and can't go.

Post by Dagexon » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:38 pm

I've been making a level that's based on the red shard one and I've made a lot of platforms but there is one problem in that they often fall off. I've only had the game for a few days now (and I'm really enjoying it) so I don't now all of the editing tools but I've spent hours trying to find out how to do this but still can't. I don't know if it's even possible or not to do this but if it is could someone please tell me how, and if it isn't then it should definitely be added to a later build. Also I am sorry if there are any similar posts to this but after searching through many I still couldn't find any.

EPR89

Re: Is it possible to set where the AI can and can't go.

Post by EPR89 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:34 pm

I haven't used the editor much yet, but the AI uses navmeshes to know where to go. You cannot edit them manually yet. All you can do right now is let the game calculate one. If you see the message "Navmesh needs update" in the top left corner of the screen in the editor you have an outdated navmesh. The AI might run into walls. In that case you should let the game calculate a new navmesh for the map you are working on. This takes a while, so only do it when you actually want to test stuff.
This will not completely prevent NPCs from falling of the structures in Red Shards, since the pathfinding is not yet complete and most falls on this map are nonlethal anyway.

Here's a basic video talking a bit about that stuff.

human_dictionary
Location: united states of the united kingdom of teletubbyland

Post by human_dictionary » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:08 am

plus david hasnt put in coding for jumping off stuff, only climbing up it, so the AI cannot jump at all.

Dagexon

Post by Dagexon » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:24 am

EPR89 wrote:I haven't used the editor much yet, but the AI uses navmeshes to know where to go. You cannot edit them manually yet. All you can do right now is let the game calculate one. If you see the message "Navmesh needs update" in the top left corner of the screen in the editor you have an outdated navmesh. The AI might run into walls. In that case you should let the game calculate a new navmesh for the map you are working on. This takes a while, so only do it when you actually want to test stuff.
This will not completely prevent NPCs from falling of the structures in Red Shards, since the pathfinding is not yet complete and most falls on this map are nonlethal anyway.

Here's a basic video talking a bit about that stuff.
Ok thanks, now I know that I can't manually edit the nav mesh but I'm sure that it'll happen in a later build. I had already updated the nav mesh so there's not really anything I can do. Thanks though

Noz

Post by Noz » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:25 pm

human_dictionary wrote:plus david hasnt put in coding for jumping off stuff, only climbing up it, so the AI cannot jump at all.
Wasn't there that one alpha video where he introduced advanced AI pathfinding where you could clearly see each enemy jumping from rock to rock?

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:10 pm

I know he made a video where the AI jumping where-ever he clicked. Regardless of distance, but I don't remember that one.

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:29 pm

Endoperez wrote:I know he made a video where the AI jumping where-ever he clicked. Regardless of distance, but I don't remember that one.
This is the video and this is how the AI works right now.
I think it's safe to say that the basics for jumping NPCs are there.