A stupid idea, but it might be worth a try

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
sandwichpolice

A stupid idea, but it might be worth a try

Post by sandwichpolice » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:57 am

I was thinking, that when your permanent health gets damaged, you can't get it back. But, I was thinking that if you got hit by a knife or something that doesn't instantly kill you, you should be able to stop the bleeding and get a small amount of permanent health back. This would only work on things that have made you bleed, and would take a couple seconds so you can't do it while getting attacked. Also, it would only be a small amount of permanent health, like I said.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Re: A stupid idea, but it might be worth a try

Post by Anton » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:52 pm

One thing to note is, damage from a blade doesn't affect your permanent health, only your weapon/blade health (however, blunt weapons still affect permanent damage), so they are actually unrelated (afaik). It might be cool to add a way to heal from weapon damage though.

sandwichpolice

Post by sandwichpolice » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:14 am

It would be. I hope David implements something to heal your character in the future.

human_dictionary
Location: united states of the united kingdom of teletubbyland

Post by human_dictionary » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:21 am

if you install lasts blood mod, it comes with the health bar mod, and youll see there are 2 bars: 1 for weapons, and 1 for any other damage, i like the health bars.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:05 pm

human_dictionary wrote:i like the health bars.
human_dictionary wrote:like the health bars.
human_dictionary wrote:the health bars.
human_dictionary wrote:health bars.

Hg341

Post by Hg341 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:14 pm

Glabbit wrote:Image
im not sure what your problem is and im not sure if i approve...

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:24 am

The fact that Lugaru had no health bars, and by extension that OG will have none, is/was considered one of the more novel features of the gameplay. Essentially, the omitting of those direct feeds of when-am-I-going-to-die vastly changed, and in my opinion improved, the 'organicity', if you will, of the whole combat process. Not quite knowing how much more you can take significantly adds to the thrill; not being sure whether you're still bleeding adds to that again.
Thus, the mod working these things back in, throwing the combat back into the mechanical weighing off of the health-left-to-enemies-left ratio, is a throwback out of the new and adventurous and, quite lazily, back into the old and easy.
There have been deeply philosophical discussions about this in the past, in which I took the views that the more organic option, i.e., no health bars, was both the more immersive as the more challenging one; it's more fun that way.

That's why I disapprove of the health bars' mention.
Hence Image

Though the idea of adding ways of healing the damage does tickle my interest, as that is not as likely to break the organic flow as it is in fact likely to add to it.

NoSkillz

Post by NoSkillz » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:43 am

I'd be really interested in some sort of highly dynamic health system. At this stage, overgrowth only really provides damage feedback in three ways, the number of times you hear a crunch, the amount of blood you have on you, and clutching at yourself. It would be nice to have the character's movement and ability affected in some ways to punish the player for being hurt. It would also be cool to have different ailments for different injuries, for example, a broken leg causes limping and an inability to kick properly.
Healing is also interesting, I have a problem with the way modern games give you instant full health due to pickups or used items, and I also can't stand regenerating health. Some games will give you pills as a health boost. The way I see it, these remedies should not affect your overall health but should instead reduce the side effects of being injured (but if you're dead, you're dead).
Medicines, bandages, and very long periods of rest can heal you, but almost never completely.
It will be very interesting to see how health is handled in the final version of overgrowth.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:37 pm

Agreed

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:02 pm

Health is also visible in the way your character reacts to his. At full health you flinch a bit, at low health you stagger or fall down.

Hg341

Post by Hg341 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:46 am

Glabbit wrote:The fact that Lugaru had no health bars, and by extension that OG will have none, is/was considered one of the more novel features of the gameplay. Essentially, the omitting of those direct feeds of when-am-I-going-to-die vastly changed, and in my opinion improved, the 'organicity', if you will, of the whole combat process. Not quite knowing how much more you can take significantly adds to the thrill; not being sure whether you're still bleeding adds to that again.
Thus, the mod working these things back in, throwing the combat back into the mechanical weighing off of the health-left-to-enemies-left ratio, is a throwback out of the new and adventurous and, quite lazily, back into the old and easy.
There have been deeply philosophical discussions about this in the past, in which I took the views that the more organic option, i.e., no health bars, was both the more immersive as the more challenging one; it's more fun that way.

Hence Image

Though the idea of adding ways of healing the damage does tickle my interest, as that is not as likely to break the organic flow as it is in fact likely to add to it.
well you explained that very well and i would tend to agree with you

Retarded Username

Post by Retarded Username » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:02 am

Glabbit wrote:The fact that Lugaru had no health bars, and by extension that OG will have none, is/was considered one of the more novel features of the gameplay. Essentially, the omitting of those direct feeds of when-am-I-going-to-die vastly changed, and in my opinion improved, the 'organicity', if you will, of the whole combat process. Not quite knowing how much more you can take significantly adds to the thrill; not being sure whether you're still bleeding adds to that again.

Hence Image

I would really like the health bars, but as a mod (In case I feel like not playing a realistic fighting game)
I mean, who the hell would want them in the final game?

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:00 pm

The health bars that we have been talking about are a mod… and they are quite useful indeed. They really help you to understand the mechanics of how the temporary and permanent health system work. I highly recommend that people install the mod and try them at least once.

For those of you who don't already know, the health system works that every time you take damage, your temporary and permanent health take damage, but the temporary loses more. From that point on, your temporary health starts to recover (until you take more damage) but can never pass the permanent health level. If your temporary health passes below 0, you are unconscious. If your permanent health passes below 0, you die. You can lose permanent health, even when unconscious, so if you start to fall, and become unconscious, and continue falling, your character can fully die.

Retarded Username

Post by Retarded Username » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:49 pm

Anton, do you have any idea if unconscious characters will get up and fight again? Do they do that?
Like if you take too much time to finish a level, an unconscious character's temporary health goes back to the permanent one and get up.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:03 pm

Retarded Username wrote:Anton, do you have any idea if unconscious characters will get up and fight again? Do they do that?
Like if you take too much time to finish a level, an unconscious character's temporary health goes back to the permanent one and get up.
They currently don't, but it was supposedly a possibility in Lugaru. I think it would be a neat option to see something like that in Overgrowth. David has also talked about wanting to provide clear choices between lethal and non-lethal gameplay, so the difference between unconscious and dead may play a greater role in the future.