Problem with keybinding

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
MrGaexs

Problem with keybinding

Post by MrGaexs » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:07 am

Hello there community! :)

So I bought the game today and I configured my keybindings (with the config file). The game works fine, no crashes atm but the only problem is that my keybindings doesn't work properly.
I have a azerty keyboard and I set it like it but it still give me the old keybindings.
I tried to bind them ingame (esc/settings/Controls) but when I press a key to bind it it doesn't make it happen.

Thanks for your future help. :mrgreen:

MrGaexs

Re: Problem with keybinding

Post by MrGaexs » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:32 am

Sorry for the double post I just noticed SUMLauncher!
But still, the problem is still there for the normal launcher!
Hope you can fix it.
Peace out, Gaëtan.

Edit: Nvm, even with SUMlauncher my keys dont work.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:19 am

IIRC there are several files that look like they let you modify the keys, but only one actually changes the in-game keybindings, and it's in the C:\Users\*your username*\Documents\Wolfire\Overgrowth\Data and not in your installation folder. Assuming you're using Windows, that is.

SUMLauncher changes that one, though, and since that doesn't work for you I don't know what's causing the issue. Well, actually, I just realized something that could be causing a problem. 'Z' key might be bound to "go ragdoll" by default, so using it to go forward might cause some problems...

If that's what's happening, you'll have to go change one of the scripts manually. The scripts are in:
[Your main Overgrowth installation folder]\Data\Scripts, and the one you need to edit for this is called "aschar.as". It controls characters. You should also make a copy of it before you modify it, so that if something goes wrong, getting back to the previous version is easy.

From that file, you'll have to change this part:

Code: Select all

void HandleSpecialKeyPresses() {
    if(GetInputDown(this_mo.controller_id, "z") && !GetInputDown(this_mo.controller_id, "ctrl")){
        GoLimp();
    }
Add // to the beginning of those four lines to make OG ignore those lines; another option is to change the "z" into something else, of course.

// void HandleSpecialKeyPresses() {
//    if(GetInputDown(this_mo.controller_id, "z") && !GetInputDown(this_mo.controller_id, "ctrl")){
//        GoLimp();
//    }
or

if(GetInputDown(this_mo.controller_id, "k") && !GetInputDown(this_mo.controller_id, "ctrl")){
        GoLimp();
    }

MrGaexs

Post by MrGaexs » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:16 am

2012/12/25 15:10:41: Starting program...
2012/12/25 15:10:42: Showing main menu...
2012/12/25 15:10:47: Starting to load "Data/Levels/Project60/4_red_hills.xml"
2012/12/25 15:10:49: Loading terrain object...
2012/12/25 15:10:49: Loading terrain textures...
2012/12/25 15:10:49: Checking for terrain cache file...
2012/12/25 15:10:49: Loading cached terrain...
2012/12/25 15:10:49: Adding terrain to ODE world...
2012/12/25 15:10:50: Adding loaded objects to scene..
2012/12/25 15:10:50: Displaying: "Error in "enemycontrol.as"" " ERR: aschar.as (1509, 16) Expected identifier
"
2012/12/25 15:10:54: "Continue" chosen
2012/12/25 15:10:54: Displaying: "Error" "Could not compile script: Data/Scripts/enemycontrol.as"
2012/12/25 15:10:55: "Continue" chosen
2012/12/25 15:10:55: Shutting down after fatal error
I tried the 2 solutions and none works :/
Thanks anyway, still looking for help.
Someone should make a script for azerty users :/

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:38 am

The error message is saying that the file "enemycontrol.as" doesn't work. I don't know why that would happen if you only changed aschar.as . The files do reference each other though, so maybe it's related to that. :(

You can reset back to the original scripts by putting the files from this thread (the one with the right version, probably A194 for you) into the scripts folder, replacing the existing files.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15409#p182422

EDIT:

Did you perhaps try to replace the ragdoll key with a new key? Are you sure the new key has a " symbol on both sides? So "k" and not just "k or k".

MrGaexs

Post by MrGaexs » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:24 am

Yes I tried and dont worry I made a copy of the original before (Thanks anyway for the link) but its still not working D:. Would be really awesome if someone can share me his script azerty keyboard.

Edit: I found how to fix the azerty to qwerty (Not by binding) , note that Alt+Shift dont work ig. You can use the default qwerty settings as a azerty one by clicing on the little box with the initials of your country (ex:EN) you must select the window of the game at the menu and select EN.

Hope this will help as temporary fix for people playing with their keyboard.

Carterplasmaman

Post by Carterplasmaman » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:46 pm

I would say, download the SUMlauncher. It worked with me

Oplurus

Post by Oplurus » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:54 am

Bumping this for all my azerty bros out there

Dr.Brains

Post by Dr.Brains » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:34 pm

MrGaexs wrote:Displaying: "Error in "enemycontrol.as"" " ERR: aschar.as (1509, 16) Expected identifier
So, it might be a year or two later, but I found out what the problem was (at least with my adjustment of the script). When I changed the GoLimp key from "z" to "w" I removed only the z and replaced it with a w, but this made the quotation marks go from the straight type: " " to the curly type: “ ”. At first I did not notice this and I got the same errors as you did. After I found out why it did not work, I searched the whole script for a "w" with straight quotation marks and copy pasted that one over the "z". And now it works like a charm.

Hope this helps some more azerty people out there!

here is the code as it is in my aschar.as

if(GetInputDown(this_mo.controller_id, "w") && !GetInputDown(this_mo.controller_id, "ctrl")){
        GoLimp();
    }