Does anyone know when...?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
John-Doe

Does anyone know when...?

Post by John-Doe » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:32 pm

... the Wolfire team will stop optimizing or experimenting with the engine or scripts
and start working on gameplay again?
I mean like things like:

Lugaru moves
Nose bleeds from blunt trauma
Models
Stealth system for AI
team commands
Spear throw
Better split screen

Don't get me wrong I know that they know exactly how to create their game
(Although that Overgrowth: Villages really shocked me, You aren't creating the game for your own taste Wolfire, you just happen to have a good taste! i'ts not narcissistic)
but to be honest the release of the game seems like a distant dream to me, I need more of the element the Alpha has right now.
I love Overgrowth Alpha more than almost any other game and I have had so much fun in 2 player.

Basicly I'm asking if you've read something like on twitter about this that I haven't.
Thank you for reading. :)

Endoperez

Re: Does anyone know when...?

Post by Endoperez » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:33 pm

Their Jan 1st blog post basically said they're working on the gameplay during 2013.

Out of the features you listed, only stealth and perhaps multiplayer is something that's both likely to be a priority, and actually important to gameplay. The future of splitscreen depends on what they want to show on the next GDC - they might try to have some sort of single-player arena fights in next.
El fideo rubio @Elfideorubio 19. Dec

@Wolfire hey david is there any change of see overgrowth on steam (i mean for buy it )

David Rosen @Wolfire 23. joulukuuta

@Elfideorubio Overgrowth will be on Steam, probably with the next major gameplay milestone.

Thomas March @Tommyx50 23. joulukuuta

@Wolfire @Elfideorubio What is the next major gameplay milestone?

David Rosen @Wolfire 23. Dec

@Tommyx50 @Elfideorubio Maybe when the arena meta-game is working!

Spear throwing and bleeding are sprinkles on top.

The missing Lugaru moves are, what, animal run and more counter moves? Animal run won't be in, I've heard. More counters in more variation, sure, but not that much more gameplay depth.

I can't see team commands being big part of the gameplay.

Models are done by Ninjas, not David, so coding doesn't really affect that. I bet there's been some really cool development behind the scenes, we just don't know about it yet, because... well, you know. Ninjas.

mez.all.mighty

Post by mez.all.mighty » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:27 pm

well i have an idea. i think that when we hold the blocking or attacking key, it should trigger something like a invisible target-lock system so that it becomes easier to land a jumping kick and defend against a moving opponent. drop kick misses alot and i started thinking of a way to make it land easier without changing the game too much. a targeting system much like grand theft auto 4 would be nice. though, the target cursors dont have to be visible. sound like a good idea? i apologize if someone has already mentioned this idea ahead of time.

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:55 pm

mez.all.mighty wrote:well i have an idea. i think that when we hold the blocking or attacking key, it should trigger something like a invisible target-lock system so that it becomes easier to land a jumping kick and defend against a moving opponent. drop kick misses alot and i started thinking of a way to make it land easier without changing the game too much. a targeting system much like grand theft auto 4 would be nice. though, the target cursors dont have to be visible. sound like a good idea? i apologize if someone has already mentioned this idea ahead of time.
Auto lock- on?!
I hope this will never be a feature in the game. it is really not that difficult to perform attacks and the leg canon is powerful enough the way it is. I see no reason why auto- aiming should become a feature in the game.

akazi

Post by akazi » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:30 pm

EPR89 wrote:
mez.all.mighty wrote:well i have an idea. i think that when we hold the blocking or attacking key, it should trigger something like a invisible target-lock system so that it becomes easier to land a jumping kick and defend against a moving opponent. drop kick misses alot and i started thinking of a way to make it land easier without changing the game too much. a targeting system much like grand theft auto 4 would be nice. though, the target cursors dont have to be visible. sound like a good idea? i apologize if someone has already mentioned this idea ahead of time.
Auto lock- on?!
I hope this will never be a feature in the game. it is really not that difficult to perform attacks and the leg canon is powerful enough the way it is. I see no reason why auto- aiming should become a feature in the game.
There kinda is already an auto lock-on feature in the game, when you throw things at characters it kinda auto locks on whatever character is the closest (not saying I agree on the idea or anything).

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:17 pm

And there's also the camera following that makes the camera aim towards an enemy.

John-Doe

Post by John-Doe » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:32 pm

@Endoperez
Thank you for the quick and thorough reply!

zzwerty

Post by zzwerty » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:44 pm

The Wolfire team are not currently 'Optimising' the game. I don't even know why you are complaining, the last two alpha videos have all been around deep gameplay reworks/changes/additions. As far as I know the next major milestone for them to reach is the procedural Arena mode thing that is being worked on now.
And as Endoperez said, things like new moves and bleeding effects are simply part of graphical polish that will probably be done around the time the game goes into beta. It is important in the building of games to start with things that will affect gameplay the most and not to worry about graphical flourishes and things until later on.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:34 am

Endoperez wrote:Animal run won't be in, I've heard.
*drops to knees*
http://nooooooooooooooo.com

Jaz
Location: Earth, Near The Sun, Milky Way, Universe, Time Loop

Post by Jaz » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:28 am

zzwerty wrote:The Wolfire team are not currently 'Optimising' the game. I don't even know why you are complaining, the last two alpha videos have all been around deep gameplay reworks/changes/additions. As far as I know the next major milestone for them to reach is the procedural Arena mode thing that is being worked on now.
And as Endoperez said, things like new moves and bleeding effects are simply part of graphical polish that will probably be done around the time the game goes into beta. It is important in the building of games to start with things that will affect gameplay the most and not to worry about graphical flourishes and things until later on.
They are optimising the game as far as I can see. Code restructuring means optimisation, does it not? (Well, I believe their main priority with it is to make it easier for themselves and modders to make new maps and do cool stuff but optimisation seems to be being done at the same time)

And I'm pretty sure it's been said that they want to work on optimisation soon.

But they will of course add a bunch of gameplay features once they're done with code restructuring.

However(as I noted in brackets) they are also working on restructuring to allow modders and Wolfire team members to do cool stuff as has been evident in the last two alphas. And that means awesome new gameplay features in new maps.

Hg341

Post by Hg341 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:50 pm

Jaz wrote:Code restructuring means optimisation, does it not?
no, no it does not.
Code refactoring is a "disciplined technique for restructuring an existing body of code, altering its internal structure without changing its external behavior",[1] undertaken in order to improve some of the nonfunctional attributes of the software. Advantages include improved code readability and reduced complexity to improve the maintainability of the source code, as well as a more expressive internal architecture or object model to improve extensibility.